Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Sparky Anderson Dies

http://www.freep.com/article/2010110...son-dies-at-76

Well, now he's dead. Two hits to the Tigers this year with Sparky & Ernie.

God Bless Sparky & his family...

Sigh. Memories.....memories........."Bless you, boys!"

RIP, Sparky.

RIP Sparky

awww. love sparky. i worked in the rec cen when they won in 1984 and he was there signing books....i bought two and he graciously signed them. then i went and bought a third, got back in line and well, when he saw me again, he was a little ticked. bless him, he will be missed

By all accounts he was a good-hearted gentle man.
    May he rest in peace.

Bless you, Sparky. Prayers are with his family.

Off to that dugout in the sky...Bless you, Sparky...and thanks for the memories!

"He doesn't wanna pitch to you. Swing away!"

Good-bye Sparky, thanks for putting on the Tiger uniform.

I'm sure everyone is relieved he didn't suffer. A great ambassador for the game and a nice guy who had a fantastic charity.

RIP Captain Hook

My memory of Sparky is Game 5 of the ALCS against the Twins when Sparky was in the dugout and above his head was a homemade sign that said: Darrell Evans, A Tiger Forever [[Any older fans remember in Game 4, Evans got picked off third base by Gary Gaetti. Evans was the tying run in a tight game 4 and afterward everyone put the blame on Evans and I would imagine that Sparky and the team wanted everyone to know that Evans was still a Tiger)

I found this YouTube clip of an interview that Sparky gave. Be warned, Captain Hook was raw...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgJ2jFVp1bc

Found this also on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2tzs...eature=related

Two Detroit icons.
    Chuck Daly and Sparky Anderson. We had some good times in Detroit with the Pistons, Tigers and Red Wings.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Found this also on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2tzs...eature=related

Two Detroit icons.
    Chuck Daly and Sparky Anderson. We had some good times in Detroit with the Pistons, Tigers and Red Wings.
    Finally... something of cultural value that I can actually remember! Those were certainly very fun days, late-eighties, early-nineties.

Following fascination with the 70 to 73 Oakland A's, the Reds were the next "dynasty" type team during the era. And during his managerial days with the Big Red Machine, Anderson was absolutely ruthless. And the cast of characters on those teams, well, there IS a sports forum on here.

Sparky came to Detroit and was still as Sparky as ever.

He aged like a fine wine in Detroit.

Following his departue from Pro Ball, as with anyone else who spent nearly their whole life in dedication to their profession and family, Sparky lightened up. Alot. And in his ensuing twilight years, gained warm thoughts from all of those who, in years past, would literally cuss hell at him for counting pitches and therefore became Captain Hook {and not in an endearing way either}.

In the end, and what really matters, IMO, is that he was a great baseball guy and proved to be a great family guy, and a personality much deeper than I could ever remark about. He was always exciting.

Far as I can tell, a person of extraodinary achievement all the way around. Just the other day I was in a conversation about the origin of the "pitch count", and all agreed it lay with Sparky Anderson. He liked big bats, just think of that Red's team he had put together.

Eh, I'm getting too sporty here.

What a great he is.

I wonder what him and Ernie are up too right this second..........

RIP Sparky.

RIP Sparky, you are in my memories.

Sparky Anderson in one of the great managers in Detroit Tiger Baseball. He brought the team to the 1984 World Series and won. He can really put some spark on the Tigers and the fans when they're down. He lifted up our spirits throught good times and bad. Sparky, I the Street Prophets and The Ghettoman are going to miss you so. You really help the Tigers a lot. The Street Prophets salutes you.

Default Cinncy loved him too!!!

I always thought that was the worst mistake the Reds ever made when they let him go,,but he is always loved by alot of people that lived thu the era of the big red machine back in the 1970,s...I'm not sayin this to piss anyone in Detroit off,,but when I always heard the name Sparky Anderson I can go back when my Dad took me to the world series back in 1975...He was a hardcore Reds fan and would go out and strap a radio on the tractor and cut hay and listen to the games so many years ago..When Sparky left,,he never was into baseball much anymore....
    Sparky was the greatest in my eyes..................
    http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...1040134&Ref=AR

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...1030810&Ref=PH