Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Old Time Pictures of Detroit

I love old pictures of Detroit. Lets post some!

I like old neighborhood pictures. I wish I knew where this was so I could Streetview it to see what has become of it.

I most likely got this from this forum.

I've posted a few "Now and Then" photos on my blog. You might be interested in these...
    http://fromthekage.blogspot.com/2010...rd-avenue.html

Quote Originally Posted by Debbiedo View Post
    I love old pictures of Detroit. Lets post some!
    There are plenty of existing [[but closed) threads on this site with old pictures of Detroit, particularly here, here and here: [[pg.1) [[pg. 2). Those collections of threads and more can be found in the Hall of Fame Threads section.

Ohh the MCS picture isnt old enough sadly, cool bar name tho.
    The neighborhood homes sure look new in their picture.

I'd pin that MCS photo at around 1991-1995ish. Definitely not old enough but still better than its current condition...can't wait for the Mercury Burger Bar to get going!

18th Street Baptist church - 1881

Attachment 7709

Detroit Police at 1890 Labour day Parade

Attachment 7710

I imagine it's staged but - Woman pulled from traffic by DP Officer 1920's

Attachment 7711

First traffic post of Ray1936.

For some reason this photo brings to mind memories of roaming the alleys around Peterhunt with my Grampa and his dogs collecting wooden refuse to burn in his basement furnace. And it seems only a short time later when dementia began to set in that I accompanied them as he wandered the streets without any purpose other than to pick up cigaret butts and smoke them.
    Last edited by Brock7; November-07-10 at 06:24 AM.

Detroit's Historic Drinking Establishments
    By Victoria Jennings Ross
    One of the last of Detroit's old log saloons belonged to Bobby Trott and was located on the river near to Jefferson Avenue, far from the bustle of the Campus Martius. Like the elegant Rail-Road and National Hotels, Trott also provided overnight accommodations at his small drinking establishment, but in a much more rustic setting. Taken in 1861, this photograph reminds viewers that portions of Detroit in the early to mid-19th century still retained the Wild West character of a frontier town.

Default Gone, but Not Forgotten

A typical day in downtown Hamtramck in the 1960's.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    I imagine it's staged but - Woman pulled from traffic by DP Officer 1920's

Attachment 7711
    I love that photo.

I had used to visit a cousin who lived on I think Fischer or Crane street back in the 50's early sixties. Does anyone has photos of that area; the Gratiot Van dyke area? I had friends who lived on Holcomb, Belvidere, and Rohns off Gratiot back in the early 60s. The whole area used to be nice. There were candy stores on the corner of every other block. Mr Murphy on the corner of Belivdere and Chapin across from Chandler elementery. A store on the corner of Rohns and Chapin. Two stores on the corner of Fischer and Moffatt back in the 50s. A store on the corner of Fischer and Warren. There also was an A&P on the corner of Gratiot and Crane. Also a boat shop on Fischer and Gratiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock7 View Post
    For some reason this photo brings to mind memories of roaming the alleys around Peterhunt with my Grampa and his dogs collecting wooden refuse to burn in his basement furnace. And it seems only a short time later when dementia began to set in that I accompanied them as he wandered the streets without any purpose other than to pick up cigaret butts and smoke them.
    There's something sadly beautiful about this remembrance, and the photos you've chosen to go along with it. Another little tiny piece of our old Detroit east side heritage. Thanks.

I should scan some of the hundreds of photos I have of Tiger Stadium from 1920-1950