Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Record Labels: A Map

By no means perfect, complete or finite, here's a Google Map plotted with pinpoints for over 200 record labels in the city through all eras.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...94f4b9930&z=12

Any critiques, additions, and comments are welcome. Enjoy!

Pretty cool, nicely done. Now how about one for every joint the Dirtbombs have played?

Incredible work Cassdetroit, thanks very much. We really should start calling this the Music City...

Great research. Very impressive.

Very cool.

Big Fun - just checked out the east side - look forward to spending a little more time with it later.

Awesome! Thank you!

Wow. Great job!!

Super Job! Be sure to communicate this to ASCAP and show business archives etc...

That's really cool! With all those labels, Images of America's series on Detroit should come out with a book on the "Record Labels of Detroit" or something

Cassdetroit, I am impressed by your efforts. This is a solid first step in a much longer process - do you have further research efforts planned? Maybe, histories of those labels or, as suggested above, an Arcadia book? Have you done other music related research?

That's very extensive!!!!
    And VERY cool!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What a well of prolifics we have here in the 'Motor City'

Fantastic work. I took the liberty of posting a link to it on SDF. Hope you don't mind.

Someone noted in the comments that Golden World and Revolt are missing. GM isn't there, either, but that really doesn't detract from the amount of work that was done to pull this together.

Its stuff like this that keeps me coming back to this forum. I forwarded this to some friends and they all loved it. Great job.

This is excellent, thank you so much!

Amazing work! You may want to add Solid Rock, Compose, and Revival, Felton Williams' labels which operated out of his basement in Ecorse, documented on the Downriver Revival CD set that came out a while ago.

Great job, I am glad to see Prescott records listed there. They released "Ed Gress plays the Detroit Fox [[theatre) Wurlitzer [[organ) in 1957.
    any idea who the principals of that label were?

Great job. You did a lot of research. Not to nitpick, but it appears that you missed Sensation Records, 3747 Woodward. They released sides in the 1947-1952 era by Todd Rhodes, T.J. Fowler, and John Lee Hooker, among others. It was a fairly important label in Detroit blues/R&B history.

Also, the listing for Rendezvous, 11629 Linwood, should also reflect that was the second address for the parent Fortune Records [[c. 1951 to fall 1956). There was a studio at that location as well as at the 3942 Third Ave. address [[fall 1956 to c. 1995).

Really admirable work you've done!

I've since updated the map so that every label inside the city limits I have an address for is listed. Suburban labels [[like GM, as someone mentioned a bit further up) will be my next update. For labels with multiple address I chose one for the pinpoint and listed the others in the description. Enjoy!

Great work. Several of my [[non-Detroit) record friends had forwarded me the link in the past few days....

wondering if any folks with map expertise could help with a question...

i've got an address for Soul Track Records listed as 3041 Gladwin Ave, Detroit, MI 48214

problem is i can't find any evidence of a Gladwin Ave anywhere in the city of Detroit. closest is out in Wayne and that's Gladwin Court.

if the label didn't list the zip code that'd be a different story. but to have something seemingly so precise printed on a label and for me to find absolutely no evidence of that street in the city limits is pretty surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by cassdetroit View Post

i've got an address for Soul Track Records listed as 3041 Gladwin Ave, Detroit, MI 48214

problem is i can't find any evidence of a Gladwin Ave anywhere in the city of Detroit. closest is out in Wayne and that's Gladwin Court.....

Late though this may be, here is a link to Gladwin Avenue from the Polk Detroit City Directory 1928-29. Evidently the address listed was home of some sort [[i.e. single, duplex, etc.), Gladwin ran/runs north from Waterloo to Shoemaker, east of St. Jean.

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/g/genpub/a...150;view=image

"Gladwin ran/runs north from Waterloo to Shoemaker, east of St. Jean."

My 1973 Shell street map shows Gladwin [[Street?) ran all the way from East Vernor on the south to East Warren on the north, one block east of St. Jean. It is now obliterated by the Mack Avenue engine plant, along with Hillger, Lycaste, and Hart.

Default Todd Rhodes

Quote Originally Posted by cassdetroit View Post

problem is i can't find any evidence of a Gladwin Ave anywhere in the city of Detroit. closest is out in Wayne and that's Gladwin Court.

if the label didn't list the zip code that'd be a different story. but to have something seemingly so precise printed on a label and for me to find absolutely no evidence of that street in the city limits is pretty surprising.
    Way Way ago on radio, WXYZ, there was DEEJAY, Ed Mackenzie, Jack the BellBoy. Top guy in Detroit at the time, '49-53. His program came from , "Swoon Boulevard and Jive Alley[[Macabees Bldg.) introduced by Todd Rhodes & orch.playing Swoon Boulevard. I always called in to request, "Bop
    Bop Sizzle" Congratulations on a heck of a job that I suspect took a lot
    of WORK, THANK YOU. You can catch Todd Rhodes on YouTube if you can't
    get his records.See the "SENSATION" label spinning out,"Bop Bop Sizzle"