Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 1515 Broadway Cafe

Wow what an amazing place! My girlfriend and I were searching desperately for a coffee place near the Fillmore today, searched for Starbucks on my Blackberry only to find the nearest one was on Jefferson, Subway stops serving coffee at 11am, and the bars around the place were no help either. So we went for a walk. Turn the corner and there's a solitary sign for a "Cafe." Walk in and we were greeted with a friendly hello, delicious coffee [[well I had a hot chocolate and it was AMAZING), and a very gracious invitation to sit down, enjoy their wifi and check out their upcoming theater shows.

Got to say, I RARELY gush about a place, but my experience there was awesome and I invite anyone who hasn't been, to check it out. The food/pastries looked great, and the service was even better.

As a side note to any tea drinkers, they don't charge by the cup but by the tea bag, they'll refill your cup until the tea bag is depleted, which I thought was a cool idea!

I consider 1515, Cafe con Leche, and Cafe 1923 the only 'real' coffee shops in the entire city. [[Avalon is a bakery, let's be honest, it's impossible to sit down and enjoy a cup of coffee there.) I'd rather go to 1515 than Starbucks or Biggby any day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    I consider 1515, Cafe con Leche, and Cafe 1923 the only 'real' coffee shops in the entire city. [[Avalon is a bakery, let's be honest, it's impossible to sit down and enjoy a cup of coffee there.) I'd rather go to 1515 than Starbucks or Biggby any day of the week.
    After my experience yesterday, I agree 100%

I've been in there many times. Nice place run by nice people in a somewhat difficult location. Go!

That building housed the Music Institute in the mid to late 80s.

mcs.... when you were at the Fillmore, you may not have noticed... but the new Fillmore theatre manager has been working very hard to further along the restoration of the theatre. During the August theatre tours we noticed that the barrel vaulted Grand Foyer ceiling was getting restored [[no peeling paint)... and when they're done with that, they're going to get started on the auditorium sidewalls.

The new manager has gotten Chuck Forbes OK to continue the restoration work started a decade ago [[the outer and rotunda lobbies were then completely restored, as was the procenium framing the stage).

They are trying NOT to have to use scaffolding, since the theatre is in almost constant use. The new manage has found that some restoration companies now employ "cherry pickers" with longer reaches, and new technologies for suspending some scaffolding from the auditorium side walls. The real challenge however will be in restoring the coffered ceiling dome of the auditorium... 80 ft. up....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    mcs.... when you were at the Fillmore, you may not have noticed... but the new Fillmore theatre manager has been working very hard to further along the restoration of the theatre. During the August theatre tours we noticed that the barrel vaulted Grand Foyer ceiling was getting restored [[no peeling paint)... and when they're done with that, they're going to get started on the auditorium sidewalls.

The new manager has gotten Chuck Forbes OK to continue the restoration work started a decade ago [[the outer and rotunda lobbies were then completely restored, as was the procenium framing the stage).

They are trying NOT to have to use scaffolding, since the theatre is in almost constant use. The new manage has found that some restoration companies now employ "cherry pickers" with longer reaches, and new technologies for suspending some scaffolding from the auditorium side walls. The real challenge however will be in restoring the coffered ceiling dome of the auditorium... 80 ft. up....
    Actually to be honest where I was sitting must not have gotten the treatment yet. I was sitting in the mezzanine level and to my right there was a large chunk missing out of the plaster from what looked like water leaking through, also some of the glass in the ceiling panels were broken as well, but then again that could be later on in the scope.

The place definitely looked cleaner than the last time I was there, which I think would've been 2007 or 08. And the staff was much more friendly as well.
    I think if they can get that happening it'll be better than ever! Chances are I'll be at another show soon so I'll look out for these positive changes next time!

mcs... the mezzanine and balcony levels have not had any restoration work yet....

But the new LiveNation manager of the Fillmore [[named Ben)... has been an enthusiastic proponent of getting the theatre restored... apparently Chuck Forbes "restoration bug"... has infected Ben!
    Last edited by Gistok; November-04-10 at 01:28 PM.

mcs... the mezzanine and balcony levels have not had any restoration work yet....

But the new LiveNation manager of the Fillmore [[named Ben)... has been an enthusiastic proponent of getting the theatre restored... apparently Chuck Forbes "restoration bug"... has infected Ben!
    It could also help, that Mr. Forbes just leased one of the few remaining large chunks of his attached office building to the one of the new GM ad agencies.

That's what I figured. Good to hear the bug is catching though

Now if only I could get in touch with someone else inside the Palms building, about a certain set of photos...

This thread inspired me to walk over to 1515 and buy a coffee today [[I have the day off); pretty cool place. I was able to check out the performance area in the back behind the curtain, definitely one of those neat hide-away places in Detroit. I definitely want to see a show there.

It was about two weeks ago I happened by the 1515, and decided to take a look. I was surprised to find a theater in the back. http://fromthekage.blogspot.com/2010...-stage-in.html

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    This thread inspired me to walk over to 1515 and buy a coffee today [[I have the day off); pretty cool place. I was able to check out the performance area in the back behind the curtain, definitely one of those neat hide-away places in Detroit. I definitely want to see a show there.
    Ha! Glad to hear it! Yeah after I got my hot chocolate the guy behind the counter was like "Go check out our theater and the show dates we have coming up!" before he went back to his intense game of chess.

The opening night of my brother's latest play was held in the theatre at 1515 Broadway this past June. It's a nice, intimate, no frills little theatre, perfect for small productions like my brother's. 1515 Broadway is a cool place, I hope both the cafe and the theatre continue to thrive.

I will definitely check 1515 out one of these fall afternoons. I went there for a play several years ago, didn't know they had a coffee shop. Thanks for the information.

It's especially enjoyable in the warm months when outside tables are set-up. Great people watching, very relaxing. Plus the coffee is excellent! At one time, in the not to distant past 1515 was the only place open on Broadway. The opening of the Opera House gave that street a hugh boost.

The Music Institute was at 1315 Broadway, where Bert’s is. Though 1515 has hosted many good parties throughout the years.

I had discovered 1515 two months ago. I had never paid to much attention to it when I had walked up and down broadway during the past couple of years. I had attended a play at 1515 in September. Nice production. Detroit need more coffee shop of it type. Especially in Greektown. The barista was telling me that the shop is looking for a second location. I suggested the restaurant, which is poorly ran, on the corner of Broadway and Gratiot. It would be an excellent location. Wood flooring, spacious, and has a loft upstairs. I don't think that restaurant would last another couple of months. That location is excellent for a coffee shop

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Excellent post. Agreed. Take a short walk [[or drive) to a real coffee house.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    That building housed the Music Institute in the mid to late 80s.
    Yeah, and it was raided at least a couple of times.

Is that little joint on Grand River between Broadway and Harmonie Park still open?

He makes a mean cup o' espresso, too. Nice fellow...and staff.

I've heard nothing but great things about the creativity happening at 1515, though. Great to hear about the cafe, too.

Cheers

I was there once, last summer during the PW Theatre Tours, when Karen DiChiera [[of MOT) asked me if I wanted to go there with her to get a carry out there... the food is great, as is the coffee!

I just wish that it opened a bit earlier. I usually walk by between 7 and 7:30 and I sometimes see the owner puttering around on the inside, getting ready for the day [[he lives above).

If we are out for a morning meeting, we sometimes stop by for a muffin. One of our guys really likes the sandwiches there, too. They come with a regular-sized candy bar!

Maybe the next DetroitYES quick meet-up should be there one mid-morning?

I'd be game for showing up when they open...before one of my volunteer sessions at the Charter offices. One of the commissioners [[and fellow forumer) is a caffeine junky like myself, and it would be fun.

At least AFTER the drug started working...