Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Democrats get spanked in mid-terms

Talk about a historic public backlash against the Democrats, Obama and their hell-bent agenda! For our sake, let's hope the Republicans act like real conservatives for the first time in a long time.

Some Democrats I know didn't even bother to vote. Those folks need to seriously take a look at some of the 3rd parties and at least attempt to give support to someone instead of sitting it out. We'll never get out from under the heel of the two party system if people retain the belief that they're the only choices.

It's time for the Republicans to put their pens where their mouths are. If they decide that bipartisan cooperation is unnecessary--and considering some of the radicals that were elected last night, there is every reason to think this is the case--then prepare for a long two years of government inaction on anything.

The one person I really feel for this morning is John Boehner. That guy is going to have his hands quite full keeping his caucus together.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
    Talk about a historic public backlash against the Democrats, Obama and their hell-bent agenda! For our sake, let's hope the Republicans act like real conservatives for the first time in a long time.

Some Democrats I know didn't even bother to vote. Those folks need to seriously take a look at some of the 3rd parties and at least attempt to give support to someone instead of sitting it out. We'll never get out from under the heel of the two party system if people retain the belief that they're the only choices.
    Yep, you can let them out of your basement now.

Can't wait for all these jobs to start popping up now.

Out with the thieves and in with the liars

Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    Can't wait for all these jobs to start popping up now.
    Democrats still control the Senate and the Presidency. Republican control of the House will only prevent Democrats from running some new bills through to the President's signing pen. At worst, some big business Republicans will vote with big government Democrats to perfect corporatocracy. The President still has veto power if any Republican legislation slips past the Senate and it is the Senate that confirms the President's Supreme Court nominees.

House Republicans cannot repeal or modify Obamacare, for instance, but they could refuse to appropriate more money for it if it was underbudgeted.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Democrats still control the Senate and the Presidency. Republican control of the House will only prevent Democrats from running some new bills through to the President's signing pen. At worst, some big business Republicans will vote with big government Democrats to perfect corporatocracy. The President still has veto power if any Republican legislation slips past the Senate and it is the Senate that confirms the President's Supreme Court nominees.

House Republicans cannot repeal or modify Obamacare, for instance, but they could refuse to appropriate more money for it if it was underbudgeted.
    Look, he's already starting to make excuses

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Now now, let's be fair. Oladub at least recognizes political reality, and I give him credit for that. On the other hand, there are going to be a lot of disaffected tea party types when they realize that further tax cuts aren't going to happen, and deficits will remain high until the economy really starts growing again, mostly because even the GOP will be hard-pressed to cut anything that benefits their constituents.

There are two ways to go from here: bipartisan compromise or legislative gridlock. Given a severe lack of moderates in the current incarnation of the Republican party, I think we're more apt to see the latter than the former. Then, people can REALLY be pissed at the gubmint!

I can't wait to see the hitler mustaches on Boenher's face when the republican lead house votes to raise the debt ceiling to prevent the US from defaulting on it's debts. This was a line in the sand the teahadists say shall not be crossed or their wrath will be incurred. It will be interesting to see what the excuse is for ignoring that. I'm betting it will be something about 9/11 and "troops". It's all about fiscal responsibility and eliminating deficits.. right?

I'm sure the folks who want that half-breed muslin out of the office and the gubmit out of their medicare understand the workings of the government process and will take this into account.

Facts, jcole, I deal more in facts and numbers. You deal in fuzzies like beliefs and hopes. Correct me if I was wrong but you still have a Democrat President and Senate so the Republicans can't control government. As GP noted; 'political reality'. My concerns are more that big business Republicans will ally with Democrats and that Republicans will buckle as they did with Clinton when they refused to pass Clinton's budget and were then beaten down by the press until they did.

johnlodge adds: "I'm sure the folks who want that half-breed muslin out of the office and the gubmit out of their medicare understand the workings of the government process and will take this into account. "
    Huh? Who said anything about 'half breed muslin'? You must have had a bad night last night.

Stosh Guest

Facts, jcole, I deal more in facts and numbers. You deal in fuzzies like beliefs and hopes. Correct me if I was wrong but you still have a Democrat President and Senate so the Republicans can't control government. As GP noted; 'political reality'. My concerns are more that big business Republicans will ally with Democrats and that Republicans will buckle as they did with Clinton when they refused to pass Clinton's budget and were then beaten down by the press until they did.

Huh? Who said anything about 'half breed muslin'? You must have had a bad night last night.
    Facts? By what standards? Yours? HA! Half assed platitudes again?
    You just like to see your self in writing, Dubby.

... and of course johnsmith had a good night last night... he finally got a Boehner...

My comment was more directed at the state gov't. Snyder promised jobs. I better see them.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    then prepare for a long two years of government inaction on anything.
    That's 100% better than continuing to fuck things up.

That's 100% better than continuing to fuck things up.
    So that means you won't be posting for the next two years???

Please do give us a status update after Election Day, 2012, and let us know how everything works out for you.

This guy:

I had an alright night last night, 50/50 I'd say [[I don't vote any party line). My point is akin to bailey's, there's a lot of whoop whoop about government spending, will the outrage in a three-point hat still be there when business as usual continues?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    This guy:

I had an alright night last night, 50/50 I'd say [[I don't vote any party line). My point is akin to bailey's, there's a lot of whoop whoop about government spending, will the outrage in a three-point hat still be there when business as usual continues?
    The outrage will be there if they don't get their tax cuts, anyone messes with SS or Medicare or their private health care, or they close a couple army bases. They want tax cuts and a balanced budget as long as it doesn't inconvenience them in any way shape or form. Cut welfare, Medicaid or any other 'social' program and they'll be just ducky.

Bearinabox Guest

Cut welfare, Medicaid or any other 'social' program and they'll be just ducky.
    ...where "social" equals "used by black people."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    ...where "social" equals "used by black people."
    Or the poor unwashed masses.

Talk about a historic public backlash against the Democrats,
    Yeah, real historic. Obviously you have no knowledge of history there, junior.

In 94, Clinton felt the wrath of a "historic public backlash" when Repubs took control of congress and then went on to win a second term. Going back even further in history, Reagan took a "historic backlash" when the Dems won congress, and, yes, he too won a second term.

So I'd hold the victory cigar and champaign corks for a couple more years before you anoint any historic titles on this years midterms.

Truman also took a 'historic backlash' worse than what just happened. His response was to tell his wife that for the next two years, the hell with everyone, he was going to do exactly as he pleased. He was re-elected too.

Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    My comment was more directed at the state gov't. Snyder promised jobs. I better see them.
    Then you should have voted for DeVos last time at least he could have gotten all of us discounted Amway distributorships and we would all have jobs. Good luck with Snyder creating jobs.

Interestingly enough the "Republican tidal wave" [[as some like to call it) went crashing against the Sierra Nevada Mountains. California seemed to buck the national trends [[despite their financial predicaments), and every major office in the state went Democratic, although the Attorney General race is still too close to call.

Also of interest, the Latino vote went to Republicans in Florida, and to Democrats in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    I'm not really sure why California continues to go Democrat in most elections.
    Those folks are taxed to death!
    Uh, because some people don't base every aspect of their happiness on their tax rate?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast