Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What has your voting experience been today?

I voted in Warren around 11:00, was voter 104..looked like a high turnout..

I voted at 1:30, there was no one else in line. I was in and out in 5 minutes. It would have been quicker if they'd have given me a pen to use.

Ypsilanti around 1pm, reporting in. I was number 62.

11:30 a.m. in Center Line # 344

Voted at the Lasky Recreation Center this morning. Um, I have a bone to pick, though. Since my Detroit district has a fair amount of people who are elderly, infirm or confined to wheelchairs, why did the city of Detroit think that today would be a good time to close the adjacent parking lot for regrading? There was no way to park next to the entrance, and the path to the door from the sidewalk was even closed off. In a wheelchair, you'd have to roll over the turf up to the building to use it, and then the polling was upstairs. [[Was there an elevator?) Awful way to run an election site, I thought. [[And perhaps contributing to why I was voter No. 5 at almost 11 a.m.)

LodgeDodger Guest

betterhalf texted me this morning and suggested I wait a little before heading to the voting place. The election workers were trying to use a new, computerized check-in system and from the way it sounded, it wasn't being cooperative. I took his advice and waited. By the time I showed up to vote, they were using the old paper voting list and highlighter system.

Voted at Detroit Urban Lutheran School. It was really quiet.

I look forward to hearing the results. Especially for the Yes vote for a State Constitutional convention.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I voted at 1:30, there was no one else in line. I was in and out in 5 minutes. It would have been quicker if they'd have given me a pen to use.
    Did you have to chew a hole into the ballot after the correct candidate or use blood to mark your choice?

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Did you have to chew a hole into the ballot after the correct candidate or use blood to mark your choice?
    I burned holes in the circles I wanted with my smouldering gaze.

At 4:00 PM I was number 454.There are about 2100 registered voters in my precinct.No line,in and out in about 10 minutes

I was #6 at 7:05 am. Tgr, is that the one on Greenfield? Thats not too far from where I voted, Ford Memorial @ Warren and Asbury Park.

Nevada has early voting; I voted a week ago Saturday. Over half of Nevada voters have voted before this designated election day. Doesn't Michigan have such a thing? If not, shame on Michigan! It's an absolutely wonderful system.

I had to provide my Michigan Driver's License and they scanned it before I got a ballot.

In and out in about 10 minutes. Once again, I noticed the usual suspects were out in Hamtown playing games and questioning peoples voting credentials.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I burned holes in the circles I wanted with my smouldering gaze.
    That's my girl.

I was number 190 in my precinct at around 3:00. There are at least five precincts at my voting location -- Golightly Vocational School. In and out. No problems whatsoever.

Yes, Michigan has early, absentee voting. Technically it's restricted to only those who need it but the restrictions are lax enough for anyone to work around it legally. I should do that because I woke up to a flat tire and wasn't sure I'd be able to drive to the polls. It all worked out though.

#165, Precinct 4, Shelby Twp. at about 10AM. Only three people ahead of me but we all went through pretty much together. They swiped my drivers license through a machine connected to a laptop. Typically, election workers are elderly but the person running the laptop was a young lady, possibly a high school student. I got a chuckle out of that.

Everyone seemed happy to be there.

"Nevada has early voting; I voted a week ago Saturday. Over half of Nevada voters have voted before this designated election day. Doesn't Michigan have such a thing? If not, shame on Michigan! It's an absolutely wonderful system."

No and if the Republican running for SoS is elected, we won't be getting it anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Yes, Michigan has early, absentee voting. Technically it's restricted to only those who need it but the restrictions are lax enough for anyone to work around it legally. I should do that because I woke up to a flat tire and wasn't sure I'd be able to drive to the polls. It all worked out though.

#165, Precinct 4, Shelby Twp. at about 10AM. Only three people ahead of me but we all went through pretty much together. They swiped my drivers license through a machine connected to a laptop. Typically, election workers are elderly but the person running the laptop was a young lady, possibly a high school student. I got a chuckle out of that.

Everyone seemed happy to be there.
    And if anyone has friends who are elderly or disabled, being over 60 or having a disability that would make it difficult to get to the polling place are both valid reasons for getting an absentee ballot. My partner, who is in a wheelchair with MS votes absentee every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Voted at the Lasky Recreation Center this morning...In a wheelchair, you'd have to roll over the turf up to the building to use it, and then the polling was upstairs. [[Was there an elevator?) Awful way to run an election site, I thought. [[And perhaps contributing to why I was voter No. 5 at almost 11 a.m.)
    Having polling on the second floor with no elevator looks like it violates the Americans with Disabilities Act:
    ADA Title II: State and Local Government Activities
    Title II covers all activities of State and local governments regardless of the government entity's size or receipt of Federal funding. Title II requires that State and local governments give people with disabilities an equal opportunity to benefit from all of their programs, services, and activities [[e.g. public education, employment, transportation, recreation, health care, social services, courts, voting, and town meetings).

State and local governments are required to follow specific architectural standards in the new construction and alteration of their buildings. They also must relocate programs or otherwise provide access in inaccessible older buildings, and communicate effectively with people who have hearing, vision, or speech disabilities.

Public entities are not required to take actions that would result in undue financial and administrative burdens. They are required to make reasonable modifications to policies, practices, and procedures where necessary to avoid discrimination, unless they can demonstrate that doing so would fundamentally alter the nature of the service, program, or activity being provided.

Complaints of title II violations may be filed with the Department of Justice within 180 days of the date of discrimination. In certain situations, cases may be referred to a mediation program sponsored by the Department. The Department may bring a lawsuit where it has investigated a matter and has been unable to resolve violations. For more information, contact:
    U.S. Department of Justice
    Civil Rights Division
    950 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
    Disability Rights Section - NYAV
    Washington, D.C. 20530
    www.ada.gov
    [[800) 514-0301 [[voice)
    [[800) 514-0383 [[TTY)
    source: http://www.ada.gov/cguide.htm

FoxyScholar10 Guest

I've been voting absentee for the past few years since I've been back in school. Same metro area but out of district during voting hours. I finished my ballot last night. It felt like a homework assignment.

My Experience was great. Sadly, it was only myself, my mother and about 4 or 5 others in line with us. I was number 285. I know with so many people in my area in Detroit, my number should have been much higher at 2 in the afternoon. At least thats my thought. Everything went smoothly and like someone else posted, I would have finished sooner if they had given me a pen!

voted in Warren at 2:30...i got in to the booth quickly but the machine jammed when so i couldnt enter my ballot into it when I was done filling it out. Older man in line was like what’s the hold up? To which the election worker lady explained the machine was jammed. He was like well where is another one..the lady replied there wasn’t another one we were only allotted one. He was like well hell buy one, the city of Warren has tons of money...he was dead serious. The man really believes the city has tons of money. A few of us in line initially laughed thinking he was joking..but turns out he wasn’t. I found it strange that anyone would think a city has tons of money when most of them are broke.

all in all though the whole process only took about 15 minutes. No slower or faster, no more or less crowded then the presidental election was.
    Personally for me this was a tough election since I had no idea who to vote for I struggled right up to the end

Not in metro Detroit, but in East Lansing, my precinct was pretty busy. It was good to see a mix of students and regular residents voting in a non-presidential election. I was #554 at around 4 pm.

DC48080 Guest

I went at 8:15 this morning and was in and out in about 5 minutes. I was number 105.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast