Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Grixdale Farms

Default Grixdale Farms

i've always been fond of w grixdale ave and its housing stock and wonder how the neighborhood is holding out...granted the south part of the neighborhood is not doing well at all. any stories?

I drove through a stretch of Dequindre the other week and parts of the neighborhood look good. I don't really know much of the history there but north of 6 Mile it looked decent, there weren't really any burned out houses.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    i've always been fond of w grixdale ave and its housing stock and wonder how the neighborhood is holding out...granted the south part of the neighborhood is not doing well at all. any stories?
    Grixdale W and its adjoining streets [[Greendale W and especially Hildale W) are holding up pretty well, though house values are lousy, of course. The next streets out [[Margaret W and Goldengate W) are still viable but with many burnouts, board-ups, and vacant lots; the ones after that [[Savannah W and especially Robinwood W) are basically shot, though Savannah is more intact near Woodward.

Google Maps Street View is a great tool for exploration. Looping around the four blocks delimited by Hildale W and Robinwood W will give you new appreciation for the tenacity of the remaining residents.

I grew up on E. Grixdale west of Oakland Ave. [[what is now I-75)...
    Cruised through there recently and found nothing left except debris.
    Sad. It was a thriving lively neighborhood up until the early 70's.
    Nice tree-lined streets, homes and businesses are all gone.
    I went to school at Greenfield Park, on Brush between Nevada and 6 mile. Brush was completely covered with trees as far as your eye could see. I was really taken aback to realize I could look from Greendale straight up Brush to 6 Mile and not see any trees let alone many houses.
    As a kid I'd walk that stretch [[about 3/4 mile) on my way to school every day. A couple spots/yards the kids would stop and pick an apple or a blueberry or two are now burned out or vacant eyesores.
    Is'nt "progress" wonderful?

Quote Originally Posted by 220hendrie1910 View Post
    Looping around the four blocks delimited by Hildale W and Robinwood W will give you new appreciation for the tenacity of the remaining residents.
    ..you said it: T.E.N.A.C.I.T.Y!

That’s written into the 2nd amendment somewhere…isn’t it?

I've only lived on W. Grixdale for a year but understand it's gotten better, in terms of the crime and caring residents. The foreclosure crisis may have been the best thing to happen to Grixdale Farms. There is an influx of young citizens and with youth comes vigor and idealism.

My summation: The Robinwood /Hollywood[[Haunted bus line) area is so burnt out that the area has nowhere to go but up…once they tear it down.

grixdalefarms.org

Hey Jarvo --

I went to Greenfield Park, too. What years were you there? PM if you'd like to talk about it off list.