Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Activity at Metropolitan building

There is a whole lot of activity going on at the Metropolitan building today, the same new light pole still going in, more than a few electrical trucks outside, lots of banging comping from the inside plus clear water pumping from inside the building into the drains on John R.
    Anyone know anything?

Blarf Guest

Searching for Jimmy Hoffa again.

Sounds like they are un-flooding the basement. I also remember a while back the DDA appropriated some funds to add exterior lighting.

Whatever they are doing is better than doing nothing. This is assuming that this is not the building that is rumored to be torn down. Of all of the many derelict buildings in the city, the Metropolitan should be saved along with the Wurlitzer, Broderick and Book Towers.

I snuck in there today during lunch, only stayed on the first floor but there was lots of banging upstairs going on. Lobby was surprisingly clear of debris.

Quote Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
    I snuck in there today during lunch, only stayed on the first floor but there was lots of banging upstairs going on. Lobby was surprisingly clear of debris.
    The entire building is fairly clean.

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
    Never was much debris.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Whatever they are doing is better than doing nothing. This is assuming that this is not the building that is rumored to be torn down. Of all of the many derelict buildings in the city, the Metropolitan should be saved along with the Wurlitzer, Broderick and Book Towers.
    The Wurlitzer cannot be saved, it is falling apart. The building is splitting in half and leaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared9903 View Post
    The Wurlitzer cannot be saved, it is falling apart. The building is splitting in half and leaning.
    I didn't know that it was leaning. I remember that there was a discussion about the facade on the front starting to buckle. BuildingsofDetroit.com says that the Wurlitzer's "foundation appears to be failing." If that's true, then the building is probably doomed to be torn down. However, without a full achitectual inspection [[not conducted by the City of Detroit) saying so, I will try and remain hopeful. It's just such a gem that really adds to that part of the Broadway strip.

I didn't know that it was leaning. I remember that there was a discussion about the facade on the front starting to buckle. BuildingsofDetroit.com says that the Wurlitzer's "foundation appears to be failing." If that's true, then the building is probably doomed to be torn down. However, without a full achitectual inspection [[not conducted by the City of Detroit) saying so, I will try and remain hopeful. It's just such a gem that really adds to that part of the Broadway strip.
    Photographic evidence: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6889935_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post

That is evidence of the facade failing not that it is leaning. Not that I doubt it is leaning.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    I went by the Wurlitzer on the PM just a few minutes ago. I didn't see where it was buckling like that anymore. Maybe it is only buckling on one side of the building, or perhaps it has been fixed. It's also possible that I wasn't close enough to the building to actually see it. In any event, does anyone know when that picture was taken?

Edit: They are also still pumping water out of the Metropolitan.

United Artists Building also has track lighting installed on the main floor. Not sure if that was there before.

Years ago, probably in the 1980s the brickwork peeled away and collapsed on the Clifford St. side of the United Artists building. That was not the death knell for that building. Maybe the Wurlitzer could be salvaged, but not holding my breath. It seems like only a minority of beautiful old buildings in the downtown area are ever successfully renovated. I can think of the Fox Theater, the Gem, the Book Cadillac, the Fort-Shelby, the Grand Circus [[Opera House). And possibly the United Artists building?

The fort shelby was a real head scratcher to me, it's kind of in the middle of nowhere and isn't really architecturally significant. It's good that the building was renovated tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    The fort shelby was a real head scratcher to me, it's kind of in the middle of nowhere and isn't really architecturally significant. It's good that the building was renovated tho.
    I thought that too, but then think about the economy of scale when renovating a building. Whether you renovate a large building or a small building, there are going to be certain costs you just can't avoid, but if you renovate a large building like the Fort Shelby or Book Cadillac, you have more units to rent or sell and can also split it up into a hotel. Buildings like Broderick, Metropolitan, and Wurlitzer don't have this advantage. That's why, if those buildings are ever renovated, they will need to be very high-end properties in order to recoup the costs of the renovation. Larger buildings, like United Artists are actually better renovation targets, even if they may be in slightly worse shape. That's not to say that those smaller buildings could not fetch super luxury prices if the streetscape and amenities around them were improved. What downtown really needs is more places like Washington Square and Millender Center, just not as "fortressy" and bland. The David Whitney might make a good residential building because of its location.

I thought that too, but then think about the economy of scale when renovating a building. Whether you renovate a large building or a small building, there are going to be certain costs you just can't avoid, but if you renovate a large building like the Fort Shelby or Book Cadillac, you have more units to rent or sell and can also split it up into a hotel. Buildings like Broderick, Metropolitan, and Wurlitzer don't have this advantage. That's why, if those buildings are ever renovated, they will need to be very high-end properties in order to recoup the costs of the renovation. Larger buildings, like United Artists are actually better renovation targets, even if they may be in slightly worse shape. That's not to say that those smaller buildings could not fetch super luxury prices if the streetscape and amenities around them were improved. What downtown really needs is more places like Washington Square and Millender Center, just not as "fortressy" and bland. The David Whitney might make a good residential building because of its location.
    This is true... and also why I am hoping the Stott get renovated before too long to prevent the condition from deteriorating further, thus making renovation even costlier.

Super luxury prices are not necessary to recoup the costs of renovating these buildings. There are so many types of tax credits out there for these developers, i.e. Broderick Tower, that a minor investment is actually needed from the developer.

One thing that is pretty exciting about downtown now is the influx of new workers, which i think will be invaluable in gettting most of the rest of downtowns vacant building stock renovated and occupied once more. It's great that we have some proactive business leaders who are pushing companies they do business with to open an office in the city. This along with light rail, will hopefully spark a new renovation boom that will see the rest of downtown's vacant buildings renovated and occupied into the best use, which is probably residential.

Quote Originally Posted by rbdetsport View Post
    Super luxury prices are not necessary to recoup the costs of renovating these buildings. There are so many types of tax credits out there for these developers, i.e. Broderick Tower, that a minor investment is actually needed from the developer.
    That's another head scratcher. With it's prime location, and the phenomenal success of the Kales right across the park, I really don't understand why nothing has moved on the Broderick renovation. Be it rental, condo, or maybe some mix of the two, I am baffled that it still sits empty. It could be one of, if not the, prime urban addresses in the state of Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    That's another head scratcher. With it's prime location, and the phenomenal success of the Kales right across the park, I really don't understand why nothing has moved on the Broderick renovation. Be it rental, condo, or maybe some mix of the two, I am baffled that it still sits empty. It could be one of, if not the, prime urban addresses in the state of Michigan.
    I've been thinking this since I became really interested in architecture when I was a little kid. With so many other buildings having been picked for renovation, this one I can think would have been a much more attractive option than some others. It seems that if the UA is renovated and a new arena are built in the area, this building would be extremely attractive, if not already. Are there any updates on the Broderick?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    I've been thinking this since I became really interested in architecture when I was a little kid. With so many other buildings having been picked for renovation, this one I can think would have been a much more attractive option than some others. It seems that if the UA is renovated and a new arena are built in the area, this building would be extremely attractive, if not already. Are there any updates on the Broderick?
    Broderick Update!!!: More schrubs have begun to grow from the roof!

Thanks for the info about the track lighting on the first floor of the United Artists Building BrushStart!

I've been keeping the folks at the Theatre Historical Society [[in Elmhurst IL) updated with the status of the United Artists Building/Theatre.

Went by the Met. again today. Talked with a rep from DEGC they are doing a feasability study on it for a possible loft rehab. According to the rep the basement is completely full of water.

Who owns the Metropolitan?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast