Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Default I'd like to volunteer somewhere on Thanksgiving Day...

...any suggestions in the metro area? I'd like to explore a couple of options so that I can plan things out for that day and/or a day or two before....

I could use someone to paint my basement while I watch the parade and the Lions game on television. What thats not what you had in mind?

Seriously, there are lots of things you can volunteer for, off the top of my head you can try the following:
    - Thanksgiving Parade: Try the Parade Company.
    - Various Hospitals are typically understaffed and under volunteered on this day. You can try those. Depending upon where you are would dictate which hospitals you should consider.
    - Soup kitchens abound, I don't know where to get a list of all of them, but the Catholic Church runs several of them so I would suggest calling the diociese.

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Aren't you cute, DetroitPlanner [[giggle!) I'm wayyyy too prissy for that kind of work, esp. to do that for a dude... [[you're a dude, right? LOL!)

No parade [[too cold!)

No hospitals [[can't stand hospital smells. I worked at a hospital [[community relations unit) for three years).

Some kind of food distribution/delivery/soup kitchen is closer to what I was looking to do.... In addition to the diocese, maybe I could contact a shelter in the Cass Corridor or something like that....

Thanks!

try www.volunteermatch.org or similar web site

I know St. Leo's on Grand River and Warren runs a good kitchen. There are several other closer to the Corridor though. The one on Third Street near ML King scares me and I'm 6'5" and lived in Detroit by projects my whole life so I don't know if a prissy-girl would be up for that!

My family used to volunteer at the St Patrick's Senior Center every Thanksgiving and Christmas [[hope to go back some day - family scattered outside the area). They cook a great meal for 100's for free or next to nothing for needy seniors. On Christmas they also give out gifts one per person that were donated/wrapped. It's on 58 Parsons Street in between Woodward and Cass... nestled right behind Orchestra Hall, Detroit School for Arts, and the Orchestra Place parking deck. Their phone # is 313-831-2520 - great people down there. Traditionally a decent number of nice, diverse folks volunteering, and right next to the parade route so pretty safe/comfortable to park/walk/go there.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I know St. Leo's on Grand River and Warren runs a good kitchen. There are several other closer to the Corridor though. The one on Third Street near ML King scares me and I'm 6'5" and lived in Detroit by projects my whole life so I don't know if a prissy-girl would be up for that!
    I've donated time/goods several times to the Rescue Mission on 3rd.....and I'm by no means 6'5"!!! It's a little unsettling, but the reward is greater [[right)??)

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    LOL! Well let me be clear: his prissy girl grew up on the northwest side of Detroit [[Fenkell & Greenfield Rds.) so I'm not a scaredy cat but at the same time, gotta use wisdom....

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cramerro View Post
    My family used to volunteer at the St Patrick's Senior Center every Thanksgiving and Christmas [[hope to go back some day - family scattered outside the area). They cook a great meal for 100's for free or next to nothing for needy seniors. On Christmas they also give out gifts one per person that were donated/wrapped. It's on 58 Parsons Street in between Woodward and Cass... nestled right behind Orchestra Hall, Detroit School for Arts, and the Orchestra Place parking deck. Their phone # is 313-831-2520 - great people down there. Traditionally a decent number of nice, diverse folks volunteering, and right next to the parade route so pretty safe/comfortable to park/walk/go there.
    Sounds really nice! Thanks for the suggestion....

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyScholar10 View Post
    LOL! Well let me be clear: his prissy girl grew up on the northwest side of Detroit [[Fenkell & Greenfield Rds.) so I'm not a scaredy cat but at the same time, gotta use wisdom....
    I once saw the Red Devil there! He offered me Pizza, you're not a priss at all!

It's one of the most popular days to volunteer, so hit up a LOT of agencies and you may be allowed to get in, a cash donation to the cause may help. It's all the rest of the year that they need help too.

Very nice of you to help. Just remember volunteering is a year round need. We need more people like ms Scholar
    http://julieslist.homestead.com/HolidayAssistance.html