Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Reasons for the Detroit Lions to claim/sign Randy Moss:

Reasons for the Detroit Lions to claim/sign Randy Moss:

1. No team is going to double cover him with CJ on the field.

2. Linehan knows him as well as anybody, considering their time together.

3. This week they play the J-E-T-S!

4. In two weeks, it's the Cowboys.

5. In three, it's the Patriots.

6. Last game of the season is against the Vikings.

We are 2-5 and are building a program thats hopefully here for the long term. The last thing we need is a quick fix with a basket case prima dona. Thats my take on it

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Reasons for the Detroit Lions to claim/sign Randy Moss:

1. No team is going to double cover him with CJ on the field.

2. Linehan knows him as well as anybody, considering their time together.

3. This week they play the J-E-T-S!

4. In two weeks, it's the Cowboys.

5. In three, it's the Patriots.

6. Last game of the season is against the Vikings.
    These are all valid reasons to sign an elite receiver with the one overriding concern that I think has haunted Randy Moss' career over the years... does he really want to play football? When he wants to be, he still can be an amazingly gifted and talented wide out- he proved it in New England. As soon as things go south, he mutters, pouts, and just outright quits on his team mates.

I'd sign this guy in a heartbeat IF I knew this guy was going to play. We really have no assurances that he'd be a cancer in the locker room. I almost equate this to the approach to looking at Albert Haynesworth. Is this guy, supremely talented as he is, worth all of the additional baggage. Is adding this one player going to disrupt the chemistry that you've already got on the team?

I would have to say that if by adding Randy Moss to the team could nudge us over the top to being a playoff contender, do it- but with this young team just coming together now and growing up together- I'd have to pass on this guy. He's just too volatile to have around.

With regards to other teams double covering Calvin Johnson, I think slowly but surely Burleson is going to be a factor as is the tight ends. With Stafford back at the helm, I don't see double coverages as much of an issue as it was before when Calvin was our only option. And while it hasn't been the thunder & lightning combo in the backfield that I'd like to see just yet, Best & Smith were pretty darn effective against the Redskins. Adding Moss to the mix would be another weapon to the mix but I believe his price is too high for this team even with Linehan having to manage him with kid gloves.

With regards to us playing the Jets, Cowboys, Patriots or Vikings- is it really any more motivation for Moss to play any harder? He JUST played against New England last week and quit on the Vikings. If one has to question a player's desire and heart to play against any team, there are going to be issues. I'm also not a fan of poaching players to use them as scouts for their previous teams; we have scouts to do that already and they can probably break down the other team's nuances better than Moss can.

For all the talent that Randy Moss has physically, the one attribute that makes me shy away from is what's between the ears. I say no to him as well.

If Stafford is truly going to be the guy, you don't want someone like a Randy Moss creating a whole lot a drama with your second year QB when he's not getting the ball thrown his way.

I would pass on getting Moss.

Let's assume that the Lions are okay with Randy Moss being the number two receiver. The real question is Randy Moss okay with being the number two receiver?

This was a point they brought up earlier today on 93.1 FM earlier today that crystalized it for me:

Bringing in Randy Moss would send the message to this team that one could be a rogue player; Moss' selfish actions would be tolerated by management.

That was the revelation to me as to why Randy Moss should not be brought onboard here. This is a team full of relatively young players. Some of which will be having contracts coming up for renewal soon. If Mayhew/ Lewand/ Schwartz goes out and signs Moss for the rest of this season and he goes prima donna on us, it'll just speak volumes as to what can and will be tolerated here. Honestly I had hoped that with this new regime in here we'd have some more accountability and a new attitude of doing things around here. I was hoping for no more hiring of family, allowing nude coaches on the team, and other idiotic acts like that. We've pretty much behaved like a professional sports organization so far. Let's continue to do so by stepping away from what could be a bad precedent in signing players like Randy Moss.

Thanks but no thanks.

Twenty one other teams [[including our Lions) passed on Randy Moss. He's the Titans' problem now. I can only wish Jeff Fisher the best of luck dealing with him there. He'll have a bye week and some change to get himself situated in Tennessee now.

The Moss thing never was in the cards. We had the chance to bring in PacMan Jones, a fellow with a terrible reputation, [[at a position we needed desperate help) but one who'd shown he'd turned over that bad leaf.... and we passed.

Moss in Tennessee? Since he went to Marshall, maybe he'll feel more at home there, but I suspect he'll soon get tired of hicksville and 'pull' a muscle.

The Lions are on a roll; and a rolling stone gathers no moss.

damn DR, that actually made me groan.