Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trick-or-Treatin' in Grosse Point Park is INSANE!

Lucky for y'all, I am at a loss for words. I know this isn't about Detroit proper, but I'm calling for grace, since we're only a few blocks away.

My girlfriend warned me. There is no way she could've prepared me for this onslaught, though. Cars in a continual parade on both sides of the street, children all done up as best they could...and everyone having the times of their lives.

We ran out of candy, so I had to dash up to CVS to stave off a potential riot from running out midstream...and the drive through the neighborhood was astounding.

Plus I got to test drive her friend's Mini Cooper S. My treat!

Other than the car, I feel as if I've gone back in time...perhaps thirty years or so.

Hope everyone is having as much fun as we are this Halloween...see you down at Cliff Bells if we survive!

Cheers

Unbelievable. Ran out of the second batch in less than ten minutes.

CVS is now out of candy.

I am floored.

Everyone was so polite, SO many smiles...consider me stunned.

Cliff Bells, here we come.
    Last edited by Gannon; November-01-10 at 01:53 PM.

Thanks for the report Gannon, it's nice to hear. In Windsor, I notice that there is a huge lack of kiddies out anymore from even when I was was a kid....and I'm only 29! Maybe it's because parents are driving their kids to the "richer" areas of the city? The number of kids that grew up po' like me, and without a family car must be dwindling. Well....actually I guess the neighbourhood I've spent my whole life in is just a bunch of empty nesters nowadays. I guess that could account for it lol

But I'm glad you enjoyed yourself!

walkerville is slow tonight...

Hmmm.........

You know, I've been thinking about what i wrote. My Mom lives out at Dominion and Grand Maris now, and she hardly ever gets many kids. Not a rich area....but not too bad either. Maybe it's cause there are no street lights on her street and parents get worried and stick to the lighted ones.

i thought we were going to be busier.. [[its my first year here) we have street lights, sidewalks and lots of houses in a quiet area.. most suburban areas don't have the sidewalks and the houses are much further apart... if i were a parent, i would think it would be nice to stick to places with sidewalks and a dense number of homes to cut down on walking...

i wonder if its just lost its luster.. kids today have all sorts of candy and treats every day. whats the point of working for it if you can just get mom and dad to buy you some on any old day.

Packed as usual in Royal Oak, Probably had close to 200 kids. Little beggars!
    It was fun but dad kept running out of anti-freeze on the porch!

University District, overrun with kids as usual. You can't keep enough candy. Its best to just budget so many dollars for candy and when that goes its lights out.

Yeah I think I might have been part of some baby boom in my Royal Oak neighborhood, because there is no one anymore. I remember there being 100s of kids up and down the blocks around me, now it's very quiet, still some but not as much as I remember...

horrible night for trick-or-treating in Warren tonight...long strechs of 8-9 houses in between porch lights, whole streets with 1 or 2 lights on. We used to walk the 2-3 streets in our neighborhood and have more candy than we could eat in a year...now we do 5-6 streets and do half as well. My daughter had fun and I had fun but it was a tad depressing as well...so many people just quit the holiday

In southern Royal Oak we had a decent turnout. Not as many as in previous years, and not as many houses with lights on either. We turned off the light at about 8:30; got around 30 kids I'd say.

Remember actually having to come back home just to dump your bag?!

Took my kid on 14 blocks in Dearborn, although there were stretches of up to 4 house with no lights on, he made a good haul. We were out for about 2 hours. Saw big crowds on my own street. My husband said we were down in attendance though. He estimates we only had about 250 kids come to our house. This is the first year we didn't run out of treats. Maybe because it's Sunday.

how is the trick-or-treating in detroit neighborhoods? still existent or do detroiters bring the kids to the burbs?

Had over 100 kids in Huntington Woods. Had to run up to CVS twice to refill. Finally shut the lights off at 8:45 when we ran out for the third time.

DetroitPole Guest

We only had a handful here in East English Village. I suspect it is partly because you could throw a stone and hit GP, and that my block has a large number of doubles and multi-units so virtually no other lights on.

Quote Originally Posted by windsor_shane View Post
    how is the trick-or-treating in detroit neighborhoods? still existent or do detroiters bring the kids to the burbs?
    Like I stated earlier we have almost bumper-to-bumper traffic in the University District while cars, vans, busses [[just kidding) all converge to drop off their little darlings to get their sugar high. And this is every year rain or shine.

Rosedale Park was busy as usual. Caravans of minivans.

I think I had about 4 trick or treaters come to my house in Grosse Pointe.

I think there where only 2 houses on my block with lights on, and its sad to say that most people on my block stopped giving out candy in the past several years since all the trick or treaters we seemed to get where from Detroit

zero kids here in NE Ferndale. there aren't more than a handful of kids in my neighborhood because all the houses are 2 bedrooms, but we used to get a ton of kids bussed in from detroit. haven't seen that unruly mob in 4 or 5 years now...

Quote Originally Posted by windsor_shane View Post
    They usually don't trick-or-treat in the Detroit neighborhoods, they drive the kiddies [[some not even dressed up) to the stores all along the main streets of Detroit, such as Gratiot, Grand River, and Woodward. They hit up all the grocery stores, gas stations, and liquor stores for candy and the clerks actually have candy to give them. We watched it happen tonight at a few places on Gratiot! It's good to see the local businesses participating.

Well, I don't know about other Detroit neighborhoods, but it's still active over here on the east side. I was over at my folks' place and the Indian Village candy action was hopping as always. Ran out of candy and shut 'er down with kids still out running the street.

DetroitDad Guest

Gannon,

Aren't you a little bit old to be Trick-or-Treatin'?

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Lucky for y'all, I am at a loss for words. I know this isn't about Detroit proper, but I'm calling for grace, since we're only a few blocks away.

My girlfriend warned me. There is no way she could've prepared me for this onslaught, though. Cars in a continual parade on both sides of the street, children all done up as best they could...and everyone having the times of their lives.

We ran out of candy, so I had to dash up to CVS to stave off a potential riot from running out midstream...and the drive through the neighborhood was astounding.

Plus I got to test drive her friend's Mini Cooper S. My treat!

Other than the car, I feel as if I've gone back in time...perhaps thirty years or so.

Hope everyone is having as much fun as we are this Halloween...see you down at Cliff Bells if we survive!

Cheers

Warrendale [[west of Evergreen) was absolutely dead. I was 1 of only 2 houses on my block giving out candy - and our block is 1/4 mile long! Only gave out candy to 6 or 7 kids. Sad.

I wonder how the low-income folks in Detroit go trick-or-treating across Mack Ave and Alter Rd?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast