Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Snowbank needs a semi warm sleeping space for the winter.

I have a friend, hes an alcoholic, Ive known him for years and has a job which doesn't pay close to minimum wage. He spent the winter before last in an abandoned garage and almost died of pneumonia. Hes salt of the earth and still proud in his own way. He would never steal and can be a big help with different projects. He works in the corridor and needs something close to that area.

Mark was raised in a good family and still hold those values. He used to work for GM in a blue collar job. Ive lived with him in the past and know him well enough that he would not be a problem, he just drinks. Id like to know hes going to have a space that has enough warmth to keep him safe.

Im trying to find him a garage or some other place that may have a woodburning stove where I know he would be safe for the winter. He wouldnt need electric or water, just a semi warm space to sleep after work.

He wont go to the shelter and would put himself in cold harms way before he would.

If anyone has any ideas please PM me. I can tell you more about him and possibly set up a meeting.

If you have negative shit to say please keep it to yourself. Im only looking for someone who may be able to help. No suggestions for AA please, hes not hearing it.

He could probably come up with $100-$150 a month, possibly $200. Im not sure exactly what he makes.

Alcohol's a strange bird! I both love it for the the times I have had while consuming it, and hate it for the way it has consumed some of my friends and family .

I'm not from the area and don't have any leads on possible housing, but good luck in your search!

I hear ya J5, thanks. I know so many Ppl who have been consumed by drugs [[booze is a drug). Theyve lost their jobs, house, wife, kids, family, and their life is often lost, everything. Others who dont know what the disease is all about assume that thats the way they want their life. They should just quit if they dont want to live that way they will say, go to NA or AA they will say.

Any addict can get clean, I dont know of one who hasnt gotten clean for a time or three. Staying clean day after day is a brutal fight and the disease does not need rest. The disease does not need sleep, food, water or a family. The disease has no depression or weaknesses, it is a constant force with one priority, to seek relief for the hosts body in a buzz.

Addiction is not a curable disease. It can be managed sometimes but odds are not in their favor. The best recovery centers in the country cannot produce better than a 5% success rate, thats just the facts, and its usually lower.

Harm reduction and compassion are the best solutions I can see. No one wants to give an addict a way to rationalize a destructive path but there should be a point when we realize tough love isnt going to have an effect. Tending to the wounds is best you can do for a sick person sometimes. If I thought Snowbank had a chance of turning his life around before this winter Id try my best to help him that way but I know him well and its highly unlikely. I just want to see him in the spring. Who knows, maybe he will tackle his demons after the snow melts.

Is he the type who would actually prefer not to live in a house with others? You said a garage, it sounds like the ideal thing would be a place where he could be by himself, no obligations, perceived or real?

Hes a loner for the most part. Mainly looking for something cheap. He keeps to himself when drinking but probably best hes by himself. Yes, hed prefer to be alone.

If Snowbank hadn't started drinking when he was younger he probably wouldn't need a place to stay so he wouldn't die this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hindsight View Post
    If Snowbank hadn't started drinking when he was younger he probably wouldn't need a place to stay so he wouldn't die this winter.
    And hindsight is 20/20 vision....ya know?

You may not like a couple of comments, but that doesn't make them negative.

You said no AA comments. Fine. Are you familiar with Al-Anon?

To say an alcoholic would never steal, is akin to saying rabbits never screw. Honesty is one of the larger problems of an alcoholic. That's not to say they are rampant theives but many take awhile into sobriety to get honest. I know many many fine people who are recovered. But I'd be leery about allowing a newly sober one on my premises, let alone one still in his cups.

Staying clean day after day is a brutal fight? It can very well be brutal for awhile......depending on the degree of one's commitment to sobriety and the time and effort put in, can vanquish the brutality to short term.

The success rate for long term or permanent sobriety actually hovers in the 10-12% range.

I wish the best of luck to you and your friend. I tended to a couple of homeless winos along Atwater a few years back when more of the bldgs were still standing. One of them led a very productive life until the papers went on strike, he wasn't one of the ones allowed back. Out went the house...his marriage, and he assuaged himself with the bottle and wound up homeless in mid-life.

django, I think it is nice you are trying to help your friend. good luck

Mikef.
    Yes Im familiar with AA and NA and Id say 10-12% is being extremely optimistic. I know of Hazelden, a rehab in Minnesota which is considered one of the best, is lucky to get two ppl out of 28 to stay clean and sober. They may claim higher stats but stats can be juked. Ask the counselors how many will actually stay clean and they will tell you two out of 28 is the best they can do, they will also say there is no reason why 28 out of 28 is not possible.

Ive known the man for years, hes never even asked to borrow $5 when he didn't have a drink, he simply went without and dealt with it. As I said he still has some pride. He would never steal, he wont even apply for a bridge card. Hes a friend not some guy Im just trying to save. Hes goddamn stubborn is what he is though.

Gnome, I know for a fact you would do the same thing.

Good luck, Django. It will all work out. He sounds like a good guy, actually, who just can't quit the booze.

Stromberg2

BUMP

Have you found a spot for your friend yet Django? Being in Windsor I can't offer, but I certainly am interested in knowing someone, out of many in his position, is going to be at least quazi-warm this winter.

Nothing yet Mag. Thanks for asking.

He found a place.

Thank you for the well wishes, it all worked out.
    Last edited by Django; December-10-10 at 05:24 PM.

Great! ! !

Really great news, Django!

Stromberg2

Sweet! Great to hear with the really chilly stuff rollin' in!

Does he need furniture or anything?

Sumas and I dropped off a bunch of warm cloths the other day to him, He is looking for a space heater. Bummed cause I just threw one out the other day at work but I wasnt sure if it even worked. I also left one behind at my last apt, DOH!

Check your PMs Gnome