Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Woodward Ave c 1895

From the site vintageobscura, Woodward in 1895. The poster speculates that this is a 4th of July celebration. I wonder what's going on in the center of the crowd. Seems like boys playing a game, but there also seems to be a policeman on foot directing someone to turn around and basiclly stop screwing around lol
    I also notice that the large painted sign is in the process of being re-painted, but the events seemed to have stopped work as the platform has been abandonned by the guy standing on the roofs edge.

Love the details in these great old shots!

Attachment 7663

What a beautiful row of buildings, I love all the awenings.

And it's been said before....but what a great time to be in the hat biz!

Here's a link to the much larger photo
    http://vintageobscura.files.wordpres...crwdonwwrd.jpg
    Last edited by Magnatomicflux; October-30-10 at 07:25 PM.

Look at all those old, unviable buildings! Where are people supposed to park their cars?

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Look at all those old, unviable buildings! Where are people supposed to park their cars?
    Well, considering only 3 of all the buildings in that picture remain. [[Part of the block on the left.) I would say the car made them all obsolete.

I really liked the way Woodward went all the way to the river. It also made it convenient for protesting citizens to push a street car into the river.

It's just a nice vintage picture, guys.

Almost makes me proud to be an American seeing that flag waving in front of such a beautiful scene. Not quite the same reflection seeing a row of American flags at 17 and Mound...

I really don't mean 'almost' in that last post. I'd be very proud to see this sort of street scene in any American city. Today or 115 years ago.

It looks like a line of dignitaries in coaches are arriving at the Russell House Hotel. The police seem to be clearing the opening in the crowd in the middle of Woodward for them [[which some rambunctious kids appear to be being chased out of by the cops). I wonder who they were to attract such a crowd?

Woodward to the river=awesome

What a neat streetscape.

It actually does look a little like Paris from this vantage point...

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    It looks like a line of dignitaries in coaches are arriving at the Russell House Hotel. The police seem to be clearing the opening in the crowd in the middle of Woodward for them [[which some rambunctious kids appear to be being chased out of by the cops). I wonder who they were to attract such a crowd?
    I think the dignitaries are about to walk into the hotel and go upstairs to the balcony [[below the giant flag) where one or more speeches will be given to the crowd below [[which by then will have been allowed to fill in the cleared opening so they can hear the speakers).

Wings just won the cup!!!!
    Does anyone have a similar vantage point pic from any of the parades to compare???