Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Chicken-fried steak in metro Detroit

Can anybody tell me of a restaurant in the Detroit area where I can get some chicken-fried steak. I'd like to avoid chain places if possible.

Chowhound's the ol' reliable on that stuff;
    http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/585502

Louie's Ham & Corned Beef has it.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/louies-ham-a...d-beef-detroit

Thank you, Pushtina -- a hop, skip and a yodel from my office and I didn't know they had it!

Wonderful Chicken Fried steak, Best biscuits and gravy, and real grits. Country Boy in Hazel Park, on Nine Mile.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/country-boy-...ant-hazel-park

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_doucette View Post
    Thank you, Pushtina -- a hop, skip and a yodel from my office and I didn't know they had it!
    You're welcome. Can't say I've had it from there personally, but a friend from Italy and I went there a couple weeks ago for breakfast and he had it. I think having a chicken fried steak was sort of a eureka moment for him as he stated "Americans can cook! I'll have to tell everyone back home..."

hmm.. is there a recipe that doesn't use eggs in the breading? what's an alternative? [[i'm allergic)

Instead of an egg wash use buttermilk wash or a thin wash of cornstarch and water. This has a lighter taste.

I also use good cube steaks.

Grew up in Texas where this is almost the state dish. I always use buttermilk. In fact, I marinate in buttermilk with a liberal dosing of Frank's Red Hot.

menckensghost is right.

Down here, every restaurant in the state by law must serve chicken fried steak at at least one meal. I've never had one and never will. I know people who have one every day, with mashed potatoes and green beans, with everything on the plate smothered in gravy that looks like wallpaper paste. Heart attack on a plate.

gdogslim Guest

i was lookin for some pork fried skin rinds anyone got a good location.

For those in the know, why is it called 'chicken fried steak'? I'm sure I could ask the internets, but you folk are more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    For those in the know, why is it called 'chicken fried steak'?
    It's basically cube steak, breaded, fried and served with a peppery cream gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by gdogslim View Post
    i was lookin for some pork fried skin rinds anyone got a good location.
    Believe it or not, Kroger brand are my favorite. Your choice of Regular, Bar-B-Que, or Hot &Spicey.