Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Eight False Things the Public "Knows"

Interesting facts, contrary to what the right wing media tells you in sound bites: http://bit.ly/d6ykst

I can't wait for the responses.

Amen x 8. Thanks for sharing!

It's not just the lying that is so troublesome—that's become expected during elections. It's that the lying has become so overt. There's no longer even any pretense of respecting the voters' ability to detect the lies.

There is a depth of gullibility beneath which no one even knows how to vote. The bottom feeders are mining that depth with rabid enthusiasm.

Even enormous investments with endlessly diminishing returns eventually returns nothing.

All I know is I'll be so very happy when the election is over and the political ads yield back to the ambulance chasers.

You and me both, Ray. These ads are wasted on me, since we voted more than a week ago

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    All I know is I'll be so very happy when the election is over and the political ads yield back to the ambulance chasers.
    I love these ads. Sad to say, politics are such a joke right now that I just look at these ads for the entertainment value. I mean, where else would you see someone seriously trying to win over your vote by telling that they are not a witch [[I'm You - Christine O'Donnell)? Or someone trying to convince you to vote for them because they nicknamed their opponent Taliban Dan [[Taliban Dan - Alan Grayson)? Or how about digging way, way back into someone's past to find a gem from their college days and name the ad Aqua Buddha [[Why - Jack Conway)?

No, I"m seriously going to miss these elections because the entertainment value this year is off the charts. I can't take 90% of these candidates on either side of the aisle serious at all. The sad part is we [[including me) are the ones getting screwed by these nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Interesting facts, contrary to what the right wing media tells you in sound bites: http://bit.ly/d6ykst
    Is Dave Johnson a nom de plume for Paul Krugman?

I'm a little busy over the next several days to go into detail, but I'll address these "facts" afterwards.

"Maya is Truthout's Executive Director. Previously, she was a senior editor and reporter at Truthout, writing on US defense policy, the criminal justice system, campaign politics, and immigration reform. Prior to her work at Truthout, Maya was Contributing Editor at Punk Planet magazine, and wrote for In These Times, AlterNet, Zeek Magazine, TheNation.com, Bitch Magazine, Common Dreams, Z Magazine and others. She also served as a publicity coordinator for Voices for Creative Nonviolence, and is currently the co-coordinator of the Chicago chapter of Women, Action and the Media. Maya is proud to take part in producing the kind of real, honest journalism that fuels democracy and holds power - both corporate and governmental - accountable"

If you get your economic facts from a former contributing editor of Punk Planet Magazine and Bitch magazine, my gess is that you probably vote Democrat.
    Last edited by oladub; October-30-10 at 09:19 AM. Reason: spelling

By Looking at those 8 reality responses, President Obama and government is doing a fine job of political reform from Clunkers to Health Care Reform. The word " Our governments is broken." is techically not broken. It the conservatives claim that it is broken to get voters to elect more Republicans to the house and senate, take over and undo Obama's and the Democratic policies. My liberals, don't let those consevative take about the Congress. Vote Democratic and keep voting democratic.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

Let the democrats run the show and the Republican spectate the whole thing.

Neda, I miss you so.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    "Maya is Truthout's Executive Director. Previously, she was a senior editor and reporter at Truthout, writing on US defense policy, the criminal justice system, campaign politics, and immigration reform. Prior to her work at Truthout, Maya was Contributing Editor at Punk Planet magazine, and wrote for In These Times, AlterNet, Zeek Magazine, TheNation.com, Bitch Magazine, Common Dreams, Z Magazine and others. She also served as a publicity coordinator for Voices for Creative Nonviolence, and is currently the co-coordinator of the Chicago chapter of Women, Action and the Media. Maya is proud to take part in producing the kind of real, honest journalism that fuels democracy and holds power - both corporate and governmental - accountable"

If you get your economic facts from a former contributing editor of Punk Planet Magazine and Bitch magazine, my gess is that you probably vote Democrat.
    Are you insinuating that Dave Johnson invented these eight facts? Because he clearly cited his sources.

Perhaps you'd like to show us all where the inaccuracies lie?

Facts confuse republicans.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Facts confuse republicans.
    And reality and truth frightens and befuddles liberal democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    And reality and truth frightens and befuddles liberal democrats.
    Oh, do enlighten us. Are you going to refute the FACTS that were stated in the link of the first post on this thread???

Or are you just going to call names and talk bullshit, with complete disregard for anything FACTUAL?

Right or Wrong.....the pendulum has swung the other way, its Republicans in, Dems out....this will be Obama's 1st and only term.....then the pendulum will swing the other way again and so on. Its just the way things are these days.....Unless we get a middle of the road kind of canidate from either side. Personally I think one side pulls to much to the left and the other to the right. For me I like some of each side and a moderate middle is what I would like, but that is me.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Are you insinuating that Dave Johnson invented these eight facts? Because he clearly cited his sources.

Perhaps you'd like to show us all where the inaccuracies lie?
    Ok, starting with 'myth' number one-
    1)" President Obama tripled the deficit.
    Reality: Bush's last budget had a $1.416 trillion deficit. Obama's first budget reduced that to $1.29 trillion."
    Reality:
    Bush's last budget for 2008 was about $450B
    Obama's first budget was about $1,700B or almost four times Bush's worst deficit.

http://carnalreason.org/images/graph.gif

Would you like me to further debunk this fool?

Reality:
    Obama's first budget was about $1,700B or almost four times Bush's worst deficit.

http://carnalreason.org/images/graph.gif

Would you like me to further debunk this fool?
    Does this take into account Obama moving the military budget into the 'budget'. Previously that was kept our of the 'budget'. Of course this is certainly a non-partisan source of data. I'd prefer to see something from the CBO.
    Last edited by jt1; October-31-10 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Does this take into account Obama moving the military budget into the 'budget'. Previously that was kept our of the 'budget'. Of course this is certainly a non-partisan source of data. I'd prefer to see something from the CBO.

Wikipedia says the following. "Much of the costs for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have not been funded through regular appropriations bills, but through emergency supplemental appropriations bills. As such, most of these expenses were not included in the budget deficit calculation prior to FY2010." Perhaps that is what you are referring to. If so, 2008 and 2009 were treated the same way. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...federal_budget

DC48080 Guest

Oh, do enlighten us. Are you going to refute the FACTS that were stated in the link of the first post on this thread???

Or are you just going to call names and talk bullshit, with complete disregard for anything FACTUAL?
    Be careful with what you regard as facts. Especially so called "facts" as reported by a pseudo-news source such as truth-out.org, a website run by radical liberals.

Take their executive director, Maya Schenwar, for example. Here is her biography taken right from their website:

Maya is Truthout's Executive Director. Previously, she was a senior editor and reporter at Truthout, writing on US defense policy, the criminal justice system, campaign politics, and immigration reform. Prior to her work at Truthout, Maya was Contributing Editor at Punk Planet magazine, and wrote for In These Times, AlterNet, Zeek Magazine, TheNation.com, Bitch Magazine, Common Dreams, Z Magazine and others. She also served as a publicity coordinator for Voices for Creative Nonviolence, and is currently the co-coordinator of the Chicago chapter of Women, Action and the Media. Maya is proud to take part in producing the kind of real, honest journalism that fuels democracy and holds power - both corporate and governmental - accountable.

Her resume clearly shows that she is a radical liberal or, as folks on that side of the spectrum like to call themselves, "progressive".

Z Magazine. From their own website:
    In a time of constant media manipulation, every edition of Z Magazine comes through with key information and cogent analysis. This is an essential publication for people who refuse to be spun by evasion or euphemism and who want to help strengthen movements for social justice and peace. Z Magazine is present-day radicalism at its best -- resolutely progressive, non-dogmatic, compassionate, insightful and always searching for better ways to expose the roots of current disasters. Norman Solomon

Bitch Magazine. From their own website:
    B-Word Worldwide, doing business as Bitch Media, is the nonprofit organization best known for publishing the magazine Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture. Bitch Media’s mission is to provide and encourage an empowered, feminist response to mainstream media and popular culture.

When going to Bitch Magazine's website I was greeted with an advertisement on the right side of the page for "Smitten Kitten" which describes itself as "A feminist sex toy store". Placing advertising such as this on your home page sure identifies you as a credible "news source". And a very classy one at that!

Common Dreams. From their own website:
    CommonDreams.org is a national nonprofit, progressive, nonpartisan citizens' organization founded in 1997 by political activists Craig Brown and his late wife, Lina Newhouser.We are a powerful online voice for change in America.
    With millions of monthly readers, we have become one of the top progressive websites.

TheNation.com, Can't get more liberal than this one.

In These Times. From their own website:
    Three decades after its founding, In These Times remains committed to covering the controversial issues of our time. Through five presidential administrations, In These Times has adhered to the belief that to thrive, a progressive political movement needs its own media to inform, educate and orient itself.

Punk Planet Magazine: That one speaks for itself.

A group like Truthout.org which has as it's Executive Director someone whose resume reads like above can scarcely be expected to publish unbiased facts without a radical liberal spin.

Reality:
    I'm curious to know how this is mathematically possible when the TARP program alone was almost double that amount in 2008.

Ah, what times we live in, when carnalreason.com is given equal consideration as the New York Times for journalistic integrity.

If you try hard enough, I'm sure you can find a right-wing blog with a graph that PROVES Barack Obama is a Kenyan-born Muslim radical hellbent on casting the United States into the Seventh Circle of Hell--leaving it all for illegal Mexican immigrants to conquer.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; October-31-10 at 09:39 AM.

I'm curious to know how this is mathematically possible when the TARP program alone was almost double that amount in 2008.

Ah, what times we live in, when.

If you try hard enough, I'm sure you can find a right-wing blog with a graph that PROVES Barack Obama is a Kenyan-born Muslim radical hellbent on casting the United States into the Seventh Circle of Hell--leaving it all for illegal Mexican immigrants to conquer.
    I would disagree that disagree that "carnalreason.com is given equal consideration as the New York Times for journalistic integrity" but if you want to insist on that, your other comments can be judged accordingly.

The TARP program was double 'what' amount in 2008? Noun required.

Wikipedia, with it's references, is not a right wing blog - at least to most of us. Your last flailing about paragraph indicates that you do not have the necessary statistics at hand to support the nutty assertion in the OP link that " Bush's last budget had a $1.416 trillion deficit. Obama's first budget reduced that to $1.29 trillion."

Wikipedia, with it's references, is not a right wing blog - at least to most of us. Your last flailing about paragraph indicates that you do not have the necessary statistics at hand to support the nutty assertion in the OP link that " Bush's last budget had a $1.416 trillion deficit. Obama's first budget reduced that to $1.29 trillion."
    I wasn't aware that documented numbers were negotiable.

checkraisej Guest

My bet is that if you spell "guess", "gess", you probably vote republican.

Quote Originally Posted by checkraisej View Post
    My bet is that if you spell "guess", "gess", you probably vote republican.
    I sure the heck ain't gonna vote Democrat. My gess is that you couldn't come up with any statistics either to support the nutty assertion in the OP link that " Bush's last budget had a $1.416 trillion deficit. Obama's first budget reduced that to $1.29 trillion."

From now on you can be my spell checker though.

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    Right or Wrong.....the pendulum has swung the other way, its Republicans in, Dems out....this will be Obama's 1st and only term
    considering he has been in office less than two years, it is pretty early to make such predictions. the same was said this time with clinton, and he won huge in 96

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast