Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

littlebuddy Guest

Default Quarries around the state

How many rock quarries around the state do you know of? I can think of one down by Monroe, one up in Rodgers city, and one on the north side of Lansing. Any others?

Sibley Quarry in Riverview. Owned by DTE.

U.S. Gypsum has mines/quarries in Alabaster , Mi . [[between Au Gres but closer to Tawas )
    right off US-23 and is used mostly for drywall

Isn't there one near Yuma on the Great Lakes Central, or is that just a sand pit?

Quote Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
    How many rock quarries around the state do you know of? I can think of one down by Monroe, one up in Rodgers city, and one on the north side of Lansing. Any others?
    Do you mean the one on Dunbar Road in Monroe ? I used to haul limestone out of there when the bosses credit ran out at the quarry on King Road owned by DTE.

The one off Dunbar is closed and full of water. They had some flooding of the houses around the Quarry when they Turned off the pumps.

There is an operating gravel quarry on US trunpike in the north east corner of the Monroe county, next to Lake Erie.There's a Silica quarry near the end of the Huron River on the Wayne County/
    Monroe county border. There a large quarry just west of I-75 in South Rockwood.

Lot's of gravel operations out this way in Milford. More and more of them are closing up, but some are still operating. The deep ponds they leave behind make for great diving, and decent goose hunting when they're not surrounded by so called "McMansions".

littlebuddy Guest

I forgot about the quarry off of I-75. How long has the quarry been full of water down in Monroe? I know there are sand pits around the state, west of Ithaca about 5 miles are some sand pits, most of them full of water and one of them made into a county park.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    There a large quarry just west of I-75 in South Rockwood.

I went there many times with my friends... we would walk down the tracks then go through some woods to get there