Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Default Food again - the Dyes cooking thread.

I'll start since we won't be able to post on the other one after Wednesday.

City Chicken recipe

time to make 1¾ hours 35 min prep
    Change to: servings US Metric
    1 lb veal tenderloins, cut into 1-1/2 inch cubes
    1 lb pork tenderloins, cut into 1-1/2 inch cubes
    1 egg, beaten
    1/4 cup milk
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup saltines, medium crushed
    3 tablespoons oil
    3/4 cup chicken broth
    1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons water

Not the one? See other Grandma's City Chicken Recipes

* < 4 hours
    * Pork Loins
    * High Protein

1. Thread veal cubes onto 8 6-inch skewers, pushing pieces tightly together. In bowl, mix together the egg, milk, salt and pepper.
    2. Place cracker crumbs in zip lock baggie. Dip meat into egg mixture, then coat in cracker mixture.
    3. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the meat about 4 minutes until browned on all sides.
    4. Place chicken in glass baking dish.
    5. In small bowl, stir together the flour and water until smooth. Combine with broth and pour over chicken.
    6. Cover Chicken with foil and bake for approximately 1 hour. Remove foil for last 10 minutes.

2 lbs pork tenderloins, cut into 1 inch cubes
    2 lbs veal, cut into 1 inch cubes
    1 cup flour
    2 tablespoons grated pasta cheese
    1 clove garlic
    1 cup dry breadcrumbs [[omit cheese and garlic if using seasoned bread crumbs.)
    2 large eggs
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley
    2 cups chicken broth
    salt and pepper
    oil [[for browing meat)

Not the one? See other John's City Chicken Recipes

1. Place alternative pieces of pork and veal on wooden skewers until 6 pieces are used.
    2. Mix parsley into eggs.
    3. Roll meat into flour, then egg-parsley mixture and then breadcrumbs.
    4. Brown on all sides in hot oil.
    5. Place in large baking pan and add chicken broth.
    6. Cover and bake at 325º for 2 hours, basting occasionally.

7. Serve with mashed potatoes.

Thanks for starting this back up, Big.

I got nothing special tonight, just baked some chicken legs and made a little Israeli couscous "risotto".

Glad to see you back on Red. I've been back and forth all day on the forums. Re-did my profile too. Make sure you read up on security !

mmmmm - the Hickory and Brown Sugar Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce is to DYE - DIE for! Browned some boneless country ribs in the oven and baked them for about an hour. Added the sauce and put the cover back on and let them bake about 45 minutes. Delicious! Mr. Erie had seconds! - we're happy

Default Hi

Just wanted to say hi and hope all is well for everyone. Guess I will start by asking if anyone is doing anything cool food-wise for Easter/Passover?
    New job is good, but have not worked this hard since 1999, not sure what that means, but at 52, it feels like someone threw me in the back of a truck [[saw that happen once at Weber's)....anyways, sincerely hope you are all having a good week, good month so far.

"but have not worked this hard since 1999"

Hardy like it's 1999. The old peoples anthem.

A Magyar treat:

Lekvar and noodles.

Cook some egg noodles.
    When done, drain, return to pan. Add some lekvar [[prune butter) , bread crumbs, cottage [[or farmers') cheese, sugar, mix and heat until warm.

Don't tell Mom, but I've made this
    also with strawberry jam, and apple butter, all made a quick delicious dessert.

"Let's not lose it again." Borrowed from the old thread.

Jams - I've never had that noodle dish - sounds delicious. But have had "Halushka" - egg noodles with cottage cheese, as a side dish. My dad loves that. Every once in a while I get a taste for it. Hummmm...maybe I'll fix some this week!

Eek, getting close to the bottom! Here is a fast food chili recipe for when you run in ten minutes after dinner should be cooking:

Fast chili
    Heat some olive oil in a frypan and start chopping.
    1 medium chopped green pepper
    1 medium chopped onion
    1 T chopped garlic
    Saute gently maybe five minutes.
    Now add Chili powder to taste. Sizzling it in the fat really helps the flavor along. Stir it up and saute a little more.
    If you have some Trader Joe roasted corn in the freezer, add some now, and keep sauteing and stir some more.
    Add more chili powder if it isn't red enough.
    Now add 1-2 cans of SW pinquito beans with their liquid. These are particularly good and have some spices added..

Simmer awhile longer. Corn chips go great with this.

I too would like to know if anyone has ideas for a non traditional Easter meal so I can live vicariously. Ever year we have the same family meal, it's all good but tradition can be boring.

LodgeDodger Guest

Default Sauerkraut recipe

I've been looking for a good sauerkraut recipe. Hubby isn't a fan of the stuff, but seems to like the sauerkraut that isn't very sauer. Anyone have a good recipe, or two?

I generally don't cook German, even though I am Italian and German. Does the fact I love good, German beer make up for it?

Sumas, not very original, but I started making Bratwurst and German potato salad for Easter. I sure miss my grandmother's German food. I did find a fantastic smoked bratwurst made be Deutsche Kuche that's sold at Aldi's. I can only find it at Aldi's around Easter and Christmas, but it's very good, and reminds of the bratwurst my grandmother would buy at the butcher shop.

This is a variation on Alice's Sauerkraut [[from Alice's Restaurant). It isn't too sour and most people yum it right up.

1# bag of kraut
    1 chopped onion
    1 c sour cream
    1/2 c white wine
    ! tsp caraway seeds [[optional, I don't like these)

Rinse and drain the kraut, and turn it into a bowl. Mix in the onions, sour cream, wine and caraway seeds if you like these. Put into greased casserole dish and bake for 25 minutes at 325 degrees.

Options:
    Add some chopped cooked pork to the mix
    Top with parboiled kielbasa
    Add some boiled potato slices to the mix

Sumas, buy your sauerkraut bulk, not in a can or jar. Most of the Polish markets around have it. It's much less sour tasting. Then what I do is just add a little garlic powder, a handful of brown sugar, some celery seed [[you can use caraway, but we don't like it) some chopped onion and a little water. Mix it up in a roaster, add your kielbasa and roast on 325 for a couple hours. I normally simmer my kielbasa for about 20 minutes or so to get some of the grease out before I add it to the sauerkraut.
    If I'm not making sauerkraut, after I simmer the kielbasa, I roast it in the oven with a little of the simmering liquid for about 1/2 hour to 40 minutes until the liquid is gone and the kielbasa is somewhat crispy on the outside.

I've never heard of adding brown sugar to saurkraut, but my mom used to put chopped apples and some butter beans in hers.

I like my saurkraut really 'saur', so I never rinse it.

And I agree, get the bulk saurkraut from a Polish market. Better than any in a bag, jar or can.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    A Magyar treat:

Lekvar and noodles.

Cook some egg noodles.
    When done, drain, return to pan. Add some lekvar [[prune butter) , bread crumbs, cottage [[or farmers') cheese, sugar, mix and heat until warm.

Don't tell Mom, but I've made this
    also with strawberry jam, and apple butter, all made a quick delicious dessert.
    That's similar to a dish my brother-in-law's mother used to make with cottage cheese, noodles, and bread crumbs.

LodgeDodger Guest

Thanks, everyone. betterhalf will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by eriedearie View Post
    Jams - I've never had that noodle dish - sounds delicious. But have had "Halushka" - egg noodles with cottage cheese, as a side dish. My dad loves that. Every once in a while I get a taste for it. Hummmm...maybe I'll fix some this week!
    Would you be so kind as to share your recipe for Halushka? I saw a segment on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives [[on Food Network) showing a restaurant in Pittsburgh that served Halushka and it looked delicious. I'd love to try it as I'm a noodle addict. Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Ancestor_Hunter View Post
    Would you be so kind as to share your recipe for Halushka? I saw a segment on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives [[on Food Network) showing a restaurant in Pittsburgh that served Halushka and it looked delicious. I'd love to try it as I'm a noodle addict. Thanks so much!
    Just so happens I made some last night! I boiled 4 cups of egg noodles and when they were done, drained them and rinsed them under hot water and put them back in the pot. Added a 16 ounce container of cottage cheese. Sprinkled with salt and pepper and mixed it together in the pot.

My husband is a noodle addict too - he loves this dish. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxine1958 View Post
    I've never heard of adding brown sugar to saurkraut, but my mom used to put chopped apples and some butter beans in hers.

I like my saurkraut really 'saur', so I never rinse it.

And I agree, get the bulk saurkraut from a Polish market. Better than any in a bag, jar or can.
    At work we "soften" our kraut with brown sugar and Guiness Stout.

Shhhhh, you didn't hear that from me.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    At work we "soften" our kraut with brown sugar and Guiness Stout.

Shhhhh, you didn't hear that from me.
    Oh yum! Guinness in Sauerkraut? I know what I'm adding to my next batch!

Cooking with beer is about as close as one can get to the gods.

One of he best things about the egg noodle, bread crumb, and cottage [[or Farmer's) cheese is its versatility as a base.

Add sugar alone, a good dessert. Add jam or preserves even better.

Or salt and pepper, a good main dish, but add cabbage or kraut or even walnuts and you have even more flavor.

Cooking is an experiment in flavor, take chances.

Oh, yes, I have made that noodle recipe with cabbage and cottage cheese, or apples and cottage cheese. One of those two variations is Schnitz und Knepp, but I forget which. I think with apples. I'm going to look it up.

OK, it's the apple one. Here's how I do it, I use fresh not dried apples, and bacon, not ham.

Schnitz und Knepp
    About 4 good size apples, sliced
    2-3 cups noodles, I love to use bow tie pasta for this.
    1 small chopped onion
    2-3 T brown sugar
    8 slices bacon
    16 oz cottage cheese

Fry the bacon and remove from pan to drain. Break it up in pieces
    Pour off all but a couple tablespoons of grease.
    Cook the noodles, drain and keep hot.
    Saute the onions and apples in the bacon fat until just soft, stir in the brown sugar and let it melt.
    Mix the cottage cheese, apples, onions and bacon into the noodles.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; April-07-09 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Oh, yes, I have made that noodle recipe with cabbage and cottage cheese, or apples and cottage cheese. One of those two variations is Schnitz und Knepp, but I forget which. I think with apples. I'm going to look it up.

OK, it's the apple one. Here's how I do it, I use fresh not dried apples, and bacon, not ham.

Schnitz und Knepp
    About 4 good size apples, sliced
    2-3 cups noodles, I love to use bow tie pasta for this.
    1 small chopped onion
    2-3 T brown sugar
    8 slices bacon
    16 oz cottage cheese

Fry the bacon and remove from pan to drain. Break it up in pieces
    Pour off all but a couple tablespoons of grease.
    Cook the noodles, drain and keep hot.
    Saute the onions and apples in the bacon fat until just soft, stir in the brown sugar and let it melt.
    Mix the cottage cheese, apples, onions and bacon into the noodles.
    Add some pork, bake, and add sour cream. Very hearty meal.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast