Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Charlie LeDuff has left the building

...of the Detroit News.

Too bad, Charlie made a big impact on the news around here. Not everyone was/is a fan, but I'll be sorry to see him gone from the pages of The News. He has been techicolor in a black and white industry.

Hope he decides to stay in town, but if not, I wish him well.

Blarf Guest

Good. Glad that sensationalistic hack is out of here.

I'm going to miss "Hold the Onions."

The real story?

"It's unclear and probably too early to assess how this will affect The News, which along with the Free Press continues to bleed print circulation that's not offset by gains in online readership."

good riddance to a cheap, copy-cat hack.

Always so much love on here ... LOL

I'll miss that fake Mitch Hedberg accent he talks in.

He seemed to inject himself into stories for better or worse.
    Full of beans???

lilpup Guest

Thinkin' it's because he didn't become the local 'savior'/'superstar' he expected to - homeboy returned after adopting a typical NYers outsider "I can save these idiots" attitude

In my humble opinion, he was a good showman, not a very good journalist. I think the former is where his true talent lies.

We'll see.

I think he went to the Howard Cosell School of Broadcasting.
    You never quite know what the story is more about ...him or what he is supposed to be reporting on.

Not sure, Lowell, why fewer people reading newspapers could be thought of as a good thing...

There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for Charlie LeDuff around here. I, in contrast, will miss him. He was a rare exception among reporters in Detroit. He was always willing to write a story without worrying about which politician it would piss off.

I believe that Detroit would be a much better place if there were a few more Charlie LeDuffs around.

http://warrendale.blogspot.com/2010/...-building.html

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    He was always willing to write a story without worrying about which politician it would piss off.
    He was also willing to twist facts around and misrepresent what really happened in order to make his story sound better.

I don't know how Detroit would be better with a few more like LeDuff, but to each their own I guess.

Blarf:
    In my opinion, Mr. LeDuff's greatest benefit is his willingness to piss off those in power. There are too many "reporters" in this town who wait for a story to be handed to them. As such, they don't want to piss off those who keep them supplied with a steady diet of stories.

The end result is that stories are still twisted. They're just twisted to make a story sound better to the folks who are feeding stories to said "reporter".

Quote Originally Posted by Lonyo exit View Post
    I'll miss that fake Mitch Hedberg accent he talks in.
    Yeah, I heard him a couple times on NPR and that throaty voice was annoying! I also was no fan of his injecting himself into the story, maybe he has a future career as a gonzo writer?

...will he end up at the Freep? The Metro Times? Will he relocate?

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The real story?

"It's unclear and probably too early to assess how this will affect The News, which along with the Free Press continues to bleed print circulation that's not offset by gains in online readership."
    Well that's what happens when you only print a paper 3 days a week. I'm not counting the pamphlet they call a paper on other days.

And anyone who thought online revenue would make up for the lost circulation was a complete moron.

They did the same thing in Ann Arbor despite the A2 News having a circulation of 60,000 in a city of 100,000 people when it folded. If you can't sell advertising with that kind of saturation, you must be a pretty shitty salesman. This comes down to the newspaper owners looking for an excuse to ditch the printing operation that costs money even though they were still making a profit.