Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Should Christians celebrate Halloween?

Back in the Early Middle Ages, Medieval Europe was under control by the monarchies, nobels, elitists, clergies and The Pope, who is the head the of Roman Catholic Church from Rome. Over the time there were some Pagans [[ like the Celts, Picts and Irish) Celebrated "All Hallow's Eve." According to the Celtics, in order to welcome the Celtic New Year which is November 1st, they must chase and fool Samhaim, the Celtic demon of the underworld and representation of the summer's end and beginning of darker times by putting in shaggy costumes and lighting up bonfires and honor the innocent dead. When the Papalcy of The Roman Catholic Church saw this ritual, they immdiately put an end it and install "All Saints Day" on November 1st to honor dead saints from St. Matthew to future patriot saints who did the Lord's work. However that plan slowly failed when the reformation movement can in during the Rennaisance Era. Later Halloween was developed by adding more international ancient mythological characters combining with modern media's vertically and horizontally intergrated synergized products. Basically its kids putting on costumes, doing petty pranks, starting parties, consulting witchcraft and honoring their dead loved ones. Even some Christians are having Halloween celebrations in their churches. It becomes very debatable due to its ties from pagan beliefs. Other Christians and their churches don't celebrate Halloween because its is writting the Holy Bible that God's People should not engage in the dark arts and other Satanic practices.

What do you think? Should Christians celebrate Halloween becuase its the right and ethical thing to do or cancel it.
    Last edited by Danny; October-28-10 at 09:07 AM.

It's our best holiday.

You want to cancel something Satanic, how about Santa in his red suit & his little elves [[demons)?

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Hoard View Post
    It's our best holiday.

You want to cancel something Satanic, how about Santa in his red suit & his little elves [[demons)?
    On top of evil Santa [[anagram for satan ) and his demons [[funny!), isn't it also a sin to LIE to your kids about Santa? I don't care if it's "fun" and a "tradition", you're still blatantly lying no matter how you dice it up. Plus, for Christians, for kids, the whole Santa charade completely eclipses the story about Jesus, which is supposedly the reason for the season, but even Christian churches promote the fairy tale of Santa. I understand the idea of "giving" with gifts and all, but for kids, it's all about the getting.

You won't find anything on Halloween scarier than this....

As I like to say, "Religion is bunk; with apologies to Henry Ford".

What do you think? Should Christians celebrate Halloween becuase its the right and ethical thing to do or cancel it.

I think the right and ethical thing to do is cancel Christians.

I hate that kind of crap - shesh - afraid of Halloween? Afraid your kid might read Harry Potter? I had cousins like that - couldn't date anyone who wasn't of their exact "sect". And people try and act like the Middle East is some freaking backwater. Heck, we were raised that if we prayed enough we could change "anyone" [[like potential spouses). Yeah, that worked.....sorry for the negitivity, but I have had a lifetime of that stuff and can't stand the attitude. LOL peace out!

If you view religion as rooted in the same spiritual belief system, interpreted by the different overlays of different churches, of course Christians should celebrate Halloween and Christmas and Michaelmas and other holidays associated with changes that take place on earth.

Here's how it works. Earth is a fundamental part of the spiritual world, for it supports our lives. Dividing the earthly existence from the spirit world is practiced in all religions, including Christianity, which is just one of many belief systems overlying spiritual understanding.

The time of the year, about a month past harvest and going into the long winter, is a time when the spirit world and the earthly world are closest. This is recognized in many religions. It can be argued that early Christians, in usurping and reinterpreting the pagan holidays, were just putting their own spin on something they already believed and practiced from pre-Christian times.

Santa Claus also has a Christian, not a satanic etymology. Saint Nicholas was a 3rd century bishop in what is now Turkey.. Because of his good works, he was canonized not long after his death. The anniversary of his death is now his feast day, December 6.

The Dutch brought him to the New World, where he continued the tradition of rewarding good children on his feast day with goodies placed in their shoe. They pronounced the name San Niklaus' which eventually became Santa Claus.

His current appearance and mode of transportation was codified and popularized by Clement Moore in his famous poem, A Visit from St. Nicholas [[T'wasThe Night Before Christmas) in 1823.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; October-28-10 at 12:26 PM.

Should Christians celebrate Halloween becuase its the right and ethical thing to do or cancel it.
    Right and ethical? No, celebrate Halloween because it's fun. But watch where your chocolate comes from. Talk about satanic behavior.
    http://allafrica.com/stories/201009170951.html
    "...Hershey, one of the largest chocolate manufacturers in the U.S., is lagging behind other companies in taking steps to ensure decent working conditions in its supply chain, charges a new report..."

Default And about Hershey...

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    Right and ethical? No, celebrate Halloween because it's fun. But watch where your chocolate comes from. Talk about satanic behavior.
    http://allafrica.com/stories/201009170951.html
    "...Hershey, one of the largest chocolate manufacturers in the U.S., is lagging behind other companies in taking steps to ensure decent working conditions in its supply chain, charges a new report..."
    Sent alot of production to Mexico and the PA factory is a mear token for tourist...Screw them too!!!

Blarf Guest

I don't think anyone takes Christians seriously anymore. Which is a good thing.

People who try to slam their religion down your throat are as annoying as people who try to slam their lack of same down your throat.

slam their religion down your throat
    The only thing I see on this thread being slammed is Christianity.

And on thread topic -
    I don't see anything wrong with celebrating Halloween.
    Kids dressing up and getting candy is harmless.
    It isn't like they are sacrificing animals or other humans while drenched in blood and praying to Satan
    while dancing on a pentagram.
    Last edited by Papasito; October-29-10 at 06:45 AM.

I don't know about Hershey's labor practices, but I do know the purchase of their candy helps support Hershey's Orphanage [[Since Mr. Hershey's death in 1945, the trust has yielded an embarrassment of riches, which now includes almost $800 million in accumulated income, far more than the school needs for its 1,163 students, who receive free room, board, clothes, books, bikes and backpacks.).

Some do, some don't. Some Christians don't do tradition Christmas either...

Personally, I've always detested Halloween, though I've attended a few obligatory events around that time, but have never done costumes and what all. I have little use for seeing sculls, bones, howling sounds and other death related imagery depicted having had a few relatives waste away from end-of-life diseases within the last 5 years. Uh, no thanks....
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-29-10 at 11:31 AM.

Yep, that IS the usually trajectory and way of it. Not too mention there alot of stuff out there being slammed down throats and minds, not just Christianity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    The only thing I see on this thread being slammed is Christianity.

And on thread topic -
    I don't see anything wrong with celebrating Halloween.
    Kids dressing up and getting candy is harmless.
    It isn't like they are sacrificing animals or other humans while drenched in blood and praying to Satan
    while dancing on a pentagram.

That's a point. Christianity is not exclusive in this area.
    Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    People who try to slam their religion down your throat are as annoying as people who try to slam their lack of same down your throat.

Those who receive aid internationally may not take Christianity 'seriously', or even personally, but much of the charity funding the goes abroad in times of emergency relief is from faith based organizations, in addition to government funding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    I don't think anyone takes Christians seriously anymore. Which is a good thing.

Yep, that is why not all Christians practice Christmas....
    Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    If you view religion as rooted in the same spiritual belief system, interpreted by the different overlays of different churches, of course Christians should celebrate Halloween and Christmas and Michaelmas and other holidays associated with changes that take place on earth.

Here's how it works. Earth is a fundamental part of the spiritual world, for it supports our lives. Dividing the earthly existence from the spirit world is practiced in all religions, including Christianity, which is just one of many belief systems overlying spiritual understanding.

The time of the year, about a month past harvest and going into the long winter, is a time when the spirit world and the earthly world are closest. This is recognized in many religions. It can be argued that early Christians, in usurping and reinterpreting the pagan holidays, were just putting their own spin on something they already believed and practiced from pre-Christian times.

Santa Claus also has a Christian, not a satanic etymology. Saint Nicholas was a 3rd century bishop in what is now Turkey.. Because of his good works, he was canonized not long after his death. The anniversary of his death is now his feast day, December 6.

The Dutch brought him to the New World, where he continued the tradition of rewarding good children on his feast day with goodies placed in their shoe. They pronounced the name San Niklaus' which eventually became Santa Claus.

His current appearance and mode of transportation was codified and popularized by Clement Moore in his famous poem, A Visit from St. Nicholas [[T'wasThe Night Before Christmas) in 1823.

Opinions vary, but again this is why not 'all' Christians are Catholic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    You won't find anything on Halloween scarier than this....

Hmmm, here we go. So much of tolerance............ you know the same kind everyone else is DEMANDING! Go tell a Muslim to cancel their Islam. To - their - face! LOL!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I think the right and ethical thing to do is cancel Christians.
    Last edited by Zacha341; October-29-10 at 01:17 PM.

Religion aside, one benefit of Halloween that's rarely mentioned is that it can be used to teach children about courage. They see and hear all kinds of frightening things that only make others laugh. They learn that not everything frightening should be feared.

It also throws a monkey wrench into the psychology of fearmongering, which might explain some of the hostility toward the holiday. It's difficult to manipulate people with fear while they're laughing at you.

Leave it to Danny to come up with another goofy thread topic. Most Christians view Halloween these days as a fun time for people to dress up & have parties and as a candy grab for kids. If the majority of Christians out there had spiritual reservations about celebrating it, it never would've gotten the traction it did to become such a major holiday. Granted there are a few, rare Christian faiths that don't do Halloween, but most do & recognize it as a secular, let's have fun, get candy holiday. They don't focus on any satanic stuff that can be, by choice, associated with it. As far as celebrating it because it's the ethical thing to do, yes, we should because it's a huge industry that employs many people. As Christians, it's ethical for us to support that industry, keeping people employed, and improving their livelihood.

littlebuddy Guest

I don't celebrate Holloween, don't care for the holiday. Its seems alot different from when I was a kid to how people celebrate it today. Years ago it was put out a carved pumpkink, turn on a porchlight and give kids some candy. Most kids didn't dress up weird or anything, but today, its the second biggist holiday, after Christmas. People decorate their houses, weird customs, and adults seem to have taken it over it terms of celebrating it. It just seems like an emphsis on evil and as a christian I am not comfortable with it, it others are, that is up to them. Of course, in some evil way, I would like to shove my religion down non-believers throats. Is that right thinking? I am sure to many, just having a church building, christian tv stations,etc is "shoving" it down some people's throats. But of course they in the same way don't shove their lack of religion religion down christian throats.

Best thing about Halloween is every hot chick can dress like a stripper and it's OK.
    Great night to go out and have a few while dressed obnoxiously.
    Good times!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast