Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bus fro Downton to the Airport?

How would one go from the Airport to Downtown and vice versa? I assume there is a bus? And if so, does anyone know how much that costs?

Try SMART! http://www.smartbus.org/Smart/Ride%20SMART/Route1.aspx

There are multiple ways of getting around, you can take the 280 bus to Michigan and transfer to the 200, or take the 125.

shuttles...... check hotel front desks for a reliable service.

Thanks, this is my first time flying in without a car to use

I was curious...... looks like the 190 from airport to fairlaine , then 200 goes downtown. Shows total trip an hour..... I find that time questionable. Probably other route combo's too. Most hotels have scheduled shuttles at predetermined times, and you get a discount. Id hate to be on a detroit bus w luggage

Anyone know how long the ride is between downtown and metro on the 200 bus?

downtown to fairlaine about 30 mins, another 30 on 190 to airport..... so it says

There should be a Detroit city bus that goes out there. It needs to happen, sooner than later. Also, there needs to be a rail line that goes out there. If a miracle can happen with the old Central Train station, that would be an ideal location.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    Anyone know how long the ride is between downtown and metro on the 200 bus?
    The 200 doesn't go to Metro. Are you thinking of the 125? The ride on the 125 is about an hour and a half from end to end.

"Most hotels have scheduled shuttles at predetermined times"
    Only in Detroit region is this not true. I don't know of any airport shuttle service. There are taxis, there is the SMART bus [[think Fort St to Eureka), there are the sedans by reservation and there are family/friends. That is all. I may be wrong but pretty sure van and bus shuttle services between airport and hotels no longer exist due to the economy. Too many empty seats made the services impracticle.

Quote Originally Posted by n7hn View Post
    downtown to fairlaine about 30 mins, another 30 on 190 to airport..... so it says
    I would check the 190 schedule, I don't think it operates too much. It may be better to take the 125 [[Fort) bus.

I called a bunch of hotels and nobody offers a shuttle.....

It would have been nice if Detroit/Wayne Co was civilized and had a light-rail that took you to and from the airport. Instead, if you are catching the bus you have to get on two buses to get to Metro. Three if you are going to the McNamara. Three buses!!!

m-f on 190

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    It would have been nice if Detroit/Wayne Co was civilized and had a light-rail that took you to and from the airport. Instead, if you are catching the bus you have to get on two buses to get to Metro. Three if you are going to the McNamara. Three buses!!!
    Sorry, but this is the rule in most cities, Not the exception. None of the cities I've been to have their ariports as their primary rail or bus hub. Unless your destination is along the airport bus/train route, All require two or three changes to get where you need to go. It's the nature of train/bus travel.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Sorry, but this is the rule in most cities, Not the exception. None of the cities I've been to have their ariports as their primary rail or bus hub. Unless your destination is along the airport bus/train route, All require two or three changes to get where you need to go. It's the nature of train/bus travel.
    Really? Is it the rule that it takes two or three transfers to get from the airport to DOWNTOWN in most other cities???

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Really? Is it the rule that it takes two or three transfers to get from the airport to DOWNTOWN in most other cities???
    It doesn't here either. The 125 is a direct connection from downtown to the airport. Either R8RBOB is starting from somewhere other than downtown, or he's misreading the system map.

Quote Originally Posted by tkelly1986 View Post
    I called a bunch of hotels and nobody offers a shuttle.....
    I used to take Commuter Express busses from the hotel at Ren Cen to Metro for perhaps $10-15 each way. They operated on a regular schedule between the various hotels. I found it to be a very convenient means to & from Metro. My understanding was that Metro cars put them out of the business.

I'm amazed at these circuitous routes. Here's how you do it:

1. Airport to Detroit: The SMART bus comes about every half hour, route 125, all day and well into the evening. Half the buses go to one terminal and half to the other. Bus drops you off right downtown, in back of the City County building. [[There are other downtown stops as well, that's the most central.)

2. Detroit to Airport: The stop is on the west side of Woodward just north of Jefferson, you'll see every SMART bus stopping there, takes you right back to the airport.

Two bucks for the trip. Not fast, but one single bus ride, easy.

yup 125 shows metro to DT.... YAY

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    I'm amazed at these circuitous routes. Here's how you do it:

1. Airport to Detroit: The SMART bus comes about every half hour, route 125, all day and well into the evening. Half the buses go to one terminal and half to the other. Bus drops you off right downtown, in back of the City County building. [[There are other downtown stops as well, that's the most central.)

2. Detroit to Airport: The stop is on the west side of Woodward just north of Jefferson, you'll see every SMART bus stopping there, takes you right back to the airport.

Two bucks for the trip. Not fast, but one single bus ride, easy.
    This is what Google Maps says as well.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...9&z=12&start=0

I have taken that 125 bus downtown one time from the airport. It came on time but make sure you bring some entertainment because it literally is 1-1/2 hours. I was so proud of myself for not having to call family for a ride or pay $30-$40 for a cab.

There is plenty to complian about when it comes to public transportation here in SE Michigan, especially when you compare it to the past. I used to be pretty vocal about how terrible the public transportation is here in Detroit, of course I never took it. But check this out. Recently my two oldest kids started 9th grade [[proud DPS parent, BTW) After figuring out their bus routes and doing dry runs, it ends up that they both get on the bus 2 blocks from our house and they get off 1 block from their school. [[Cass Tech and Davis Aerospace) Only my son needs to transfer downtown.

Just tryin' to keep it positive.

I have also taken the 125 from downtown to DTW. It truly was 1.5 hours, and a pretty long 1.5 hours at that, and that does speak to the hollowing out of Detroit. It's not up to par as the airport connection from downtown to the airport, but you know what? Where was NYC prior to the Airtran? Not so hot neither, methinks. It'll do the job for ya.

Since it's been a while for me and I'm no longer up to speed, is tkelly going to need to bring exact change or anything [[can't remember)?

Back in the early 70s, there was a direct bus from the airport to the Greyhound terminal that made the run in half an hour.

There is a shuttle between terminals if you want to catch the 125 leaving from a diferrent terminal. I always feel like I won some sort of prize when I find the bus stop in McNamara terminal. I still have never found a sign[[directing me to a stop, not marking a stop) or a map of the SMART routes in the airport.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast