Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Burbrook is back for sale, at only 50k more than it was last time, and in much worse shape!

http://www.realestateone.com/homes/2...Hills-MI-48335

It always amazes me the way the tax structure is set up summer verses winter .

Taxes$10,472 Summer Taxes$8,247
    Winter Taxes$2,225

Fantastic shots Lowell, on a related note do you have any photos of the old abandoned poolhouse & pool near Cranbrook?

My sister was down from Calgary last week so we got tickets to the Tigers Yankees game and decided to spend the day in Detroit to visit some Burrowes designed homes,Pewabic Pottery and go to Burbrook where my grandmother grew up. It looks like a new legal action has been posted [[ I will add pics later) called a Administrative Search Warrent. It basically says the no one can enter the property other than police, fire and members of the Farmington Hills Historic District Commission. They have really secured all possible entrances and windows with heavy duty plywood but the property was still listed as up for sale. Not sure if this is the beginning of the end for Burbrook or the start of better days.

From what you wrote it sounds like it is under the Farmington Hills Historic District Commission umbrella
    which would be a good thing.

In yesterdays Observer it was annouced this has been sold and closed on as of 12/23/2011
    and the new owners are expecting to have it ready to live in within 6 months!

Supposedly it sold for 130k. The sellers have to be pretty ok with that price, given the location and circumstances.

Wonder what it costs to make it livable.

Here is the link to the Farmington Observer article:
    http://www.hometownlife.com/article/...text|Frontpage

Wonderful news - I grew up across Grand River from Locust Drive and would often jog up that winding road to gain access to the back side of the Heritage Park trails [[who knows if I was trespassing or not, I was just passing through). It's a fascinating set of homes, and it was such a shame to see that beautiful home in such disrepair. I'm glad that the home will be restored; hopefully it can return to its former glory!

Quote Originally Posted by jtw View Post
    Wonderful news - I grew up across Grand River from Locust Drive and would often jog up that winding road to gain access to the back side of the Heritage Park trails [[who knows if I was trespassing or not, I was just passing through). It's a fascinating set of homes, and it was such a shame to see that beautiful home in such disrepair. I'm glad that the home will be restored; hopefully it can return to its former glory!
    If you look at a map of Heritage Park you will notice that Burbrook is a ca. 4 acre island in the SW corner. So technically you are not trespassing if you take an immediate right or left off Locust when you come to the falling-down park fence which is about 50 yards from the house. Now whether or not you have the right to be on Locust, a private road, is another question.

Generally you will never see anybody anyway.

Good news on the house. Hopefully the new owners have realoney unlike the previous two.

Just a quick update on Burbrook my Uncle [[his grandfather was Marcus so he spent summmers at Burbrook )and cousin got a tour of the new and almost completely restored Burbrook and it looks amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by wstevens View Post
    Just a quick update on Burbrook my Uncle [[his grandfather was Marcus so he spent summmers at Burbrook )and cousin got a tour of the new and almost completely restored Burbrook and it looks amazing!
    wstevens I do not know if you have these images, they are from a book The Recent Work of Marcus Burrowes and Frank Eurich.
    Attached Images Attached Images                                          

Group 2 from the book.

Group 3 from the book.

Thank you so much p69rrh51 my Uncle has an old and I think incomplete copy of the book but to see it in digital is wonderful. BTW your work on Detroit architects has helped connect me to my family history and I want to thank you for all you have posted here. I search King books for a copy each month but so far I have not found a copy of the book. If you ever run across it for sale let me know and again thanks for your work ...I will post the pictures of my uncles visit when I get permission from the new owners.

Quote Originally Posted by wstevens View Post
    Thank you so much p69rrh51 my Uncle has an old and I think incomplete copy of the book but to see it in digital is wonderful. BTW your work on Detroit architects has helped connect me to my family history and I want to thank you for all you have posted here. I search King books for a copy each month but so far I have not found a copy of the book. If you ever run across it for sale let me know and again thanks for your work ...I will post the pictures of my uncles visit when I get permission from the new owners.
    YW wstevens. The complete book can downloaded from GoogleBooks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2