Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

DetroitDad Guest

Default Holiday Inn of Southfield Closed?

I don't want to start rumors, but it would appear that the former Holiday Inn of Southfield, Michigan has closed it's doors. I drove by the former Holiday Inn of Southfield, at Telegraph, The Lodge, and I-696 [[click here for a Google street view). The hotel appeared vacant, had no cars in the lot on a busy day, had some boarded up windows, and had for sale and closed signs all over it.

I looked for a news story on the hotel, but found none. I did find various trip advisories reporting that the Holiday Inn had changed it's name to The Holiday Resort Hotel, and that service was pretty bad, and the hotel was going downhill fast, but found no news stories about it's closing.

The Holiday Inn of Southfield's tower and main entrance can be seen in the pictures below.
    Attachment 7641

Attachment 7642

Attachment 7643

Links to similar stories:

Rumors? The Southfield Holiday Inn has been closed for many, many years.

That's old news, where have you been? Last time I remember it being open was the summer of 2005.

Yea, closed for many years ago. My Girlfriend stayed there a few times when she was visiting me, and I loved the place, but she absolutly hated the rooms becase there was no space in the tower rooms because of the odd shape.

I do recall it re-opening briefly within the past year.

They lost or elected not to renew their Holiday Inn franchise, and was open under another name for a while.

Would make a great water tower...

Some dirt bags milked it for all it was worth and walked away to scam something else.

In it's final days I recall, it was used as a week to week hotel rental, until the owners ran up a $500,000 electric bill, then they evicted everyone when the owners couldn't work out a repayment plan.

When I was a little tyke my father told me that building rotated on giant gears at the base. I believed him too. lol

We lived at 7 and telegraph but used to go there for weekend getaways, just to use the pool and be away from home. My dad reupholstered the bar rails of the main lounge in about 1990. I helped and was shocked how bad the ones he was redoing were, All taped up and stuffing coming out. So seems the place was in decline along time.......

My Mom told me in Hawaii they dye the water that blue....sigh

Toolbox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by detroittrader View Post
    When I was a little tyke my father told me that building rotated on giant gears at the base. I believed him too. lol
    The outer ring of the top floor restaurant did rotate.

Haven't you heard? It's being completely renovated from top-to-bottom, and will soon be under the Wyndham Garden flag! Renovations are estimated to be completed in 2009! Secure your meeting & conference dates NOW while there are still open dates!

http://www.hotelplanner.com/Hotels/2...graph-Rd-48033

NICE 3 start....... so now the free room "CONDITIONS must be met" are you pry off a board and trespass? [[SOme amenities not available)....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Onthe405 View Post
    Haven't you heard? It's being completely renovated from top-to-bottom, and will soon be under the Wyndham Garden flag! Renovations are estimated to be completed in 2009! Secure your meeting & conference dates NOW while there are still open dates!

http://www.hotelplanner.com/Hotels/2...graph-Rd-48033
    I think the last owner got a loan from Wyndham for renovations. Not sure how much of that was actually spent. They did spend some money on the restaurant and bar.

That was one of Southfields premier hotels for a couple decades. I knew somebody who worked there near the end. she said some nights they would have 5 or 6 rooms rented in the entire building. No way they could be profitable in that location with a non- suite hotel. People want larger rooms with more amenities.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
    The outer ring of the top floor restaurant did rotate.
    Yes, they called it the Rondeview Restaurant. Or maybe it was spelled Roundaview. Anyway, we went there once for dinner in the 1970s when my dad got a huge income tax refund check.

is it going to get turned into a flea market type place like the Crystal Palace?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    is it going to get turned into a flea market type place like the Crystal Palace?
    Doubt that, more then likely it'll be torn down eventually.

Oh, CMON, nothing makes an old vase or baseball card look better than slow rotation.

DetroitDad Guest

It reminds me of the round apartment tower in Midtown [[Cathedral Tower), both inside and out. I'm not sure why that building couldn't be converted into something similar, as Cathedral Tower.

Does anyone know the history of our two circular high rises? It's hard to find information on them.

I do believe both buildings have pie shaped rooms similar in size. Cathedral Tower is comprised of small studios and one bedrooms. The cool thing about that building is it's common area on the top floor. It is popular amongst both students and seniors. Oddly, people seemed to like this apartment building. They think it's unique among the other high rises.

I've spent the past two days next door to this hotel at the car repair shop. So, naturally, I took a look around. [[I did NOT enter the building.) Some things I noticed:

- Signs of vandalism, perhaps scrapping. There was minimal scattered debris outside usually evident in a scrapping operation.
    - Parts of the building seem to be in great shape still, while others seem torn apart. There are a few broken windows around the back, patched with plywood.
    - A stack of unopened mattresses rests in a closet near a glass doorway, with a Wyndam sticker on them.
    - Apparent signs of a renovation. Fresh[[ish) mud, drywall, rolls of carpet.
    - Still power to the building. The transformer was humming.

From the looks of the building, I think pie shaped rooms would be cool. But that's just me. I attached photos of the angry City of Southfield signs posted on the doors.