Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Free Lunch-courtesy of Barbara Rose-Collins

May 5, 2009

Barbara-Rose Collins' $20,000 Dubai trip
    Barbara-Rose Collins, a trustee on Detroit's police and fire pension fund, spent more than $20,000 on a pension conference in Dubai last November. She told the Free Press: "I agree that's a lot of money. I'm glad that I went business class, but I bet I could have found a cheaper fare if I had tried."

I just signed on as her travel agent. Where do you guys want to go for lunch?

Since Barbara-Rose likes spending our money in the Middle East, it would only seem fair for us to eat at one of the Middle Eastern restaurants in Dearborn.

Al-Ameer? Or is that not pricey enough?

Those low life members of the city counsel, hiring drivers and taking extravagant trips that they would otherwise not be able to afford at the city's expense should be taken to court and ordered to repay every dime. Better yet, send that ugly old asses to jail to sit with Lonnie Bates.

Onward, Christian soldiers!

Am I reading that correctly? Over 9 grand for an airline ticket? Couldn't she have gone on Orbitz or something?

She didn't care. Not her money.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Am I reading that correctly? Over 9 grand for an airline ticket? Couldn't she have gone on Orbitz or something?
    Had it been her money, it would have been Orbitz or no trip at all. But since it's taxpayer and pension retirees money, she decided to live it up.

It's not like she wasn't of dubious character already.
    Can the real election get here soon enough? If she gets back into council, along with the other questionable goofs, I'm giving up.

Why is a pension fund conference in Dubai in the first place? This is outrageous. I have been part of group conferences before going all over the US for their annual meetings. There are plenty of scenic venues right here to hold a conference. But if it MUST bein Dubai, absolutely these costs are off the charts. There should be some limit to what can be spent on these junkets. What, if anything, was the benefit of going here? Particularly when the City is in such dire straits, all travel of this nature should be curtailed. There are many cities who have put a stop to this. Detroit should be added to that list.

Its time for her to go as well. She's been propped up by the black slate for too long. She was horrible as a Congresswoman, many on this board can't stand CCK as a congresswoman but she was 10 times better than the woman she replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    Why is a pension fund conference in Dubai in the first place?
    Good question. Is there some reason that it couldn't have been held in Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Good question. Is there some reason that it couldn't have been held in Detroit?
    Probably the lack of a World-Class convention facility would be my guess...

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post

Uppercut of the day.

Buy American Guest

With the City of Detroit already in dire straits, it seems to me that any kind of a conference could have been held online via webcam. These people are getting caught with their hands in the cookie jar, so to speak. The pension money is designated for retirees and it certainly should be watched more carefully. There doesn't seem to be anyone overseeing this fund correctly....that money isn't for anyone to take on a whim. There is no one within the confines of the City County Building who has any integrity or honesty.

What are people doing at all of these pension fund conferences? Is this where businesses try to solicit loans from the funds [[ala the mob building Vegas on the backs of Teamsters Pension Fund loans)? Do the Pension Board members learn about new ways to design and run pensions? Why do you need to go to over 100 conferences in one year? WTF People!?!?

Maybe she was taking a cue from Lonnie Bates. When questioned about his costly first class flight tickets while a member of the Detroit School Board said, "I fly first class to show all the black youths in Detroit that they can aspire to be like me".

MIRepublic Guest

Really, what more can be said? She's broken public trust again and again and again and it thus no longer fit to be a public servant. She said a few weeks ago, quoting the Bible when confronted about other trips that "this too shall past." I agree. If Detroit voters have any kind of self-respect they'll pass her ass like a bad kidney stone.

Problem is she keeps coming back for more, and gets elected again.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Uppercut of the day.
    Sorry...it's kind of true, and she's partly to blame...

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Problem is she keeps coming back for more, and gets elected again.
    I think that the results of the special primary and general elections have shown that the city's political landscape has practically been turned over in even just the last year or two. I feel comfortable saying that if members like Conyers and Collins aren't tossed this go around, they are sure to go in the next.

[[withheld Northwest Airlines comment)

No need to say sorry, I'm in full agreement. I was complementing the line.

LodgeDodger Guest

Don't apologize...your comment made me laugh out loud.

Thanks! Now I can run to Micro Center for a new keyboard, as I spewed coffee all over mine laughing about that great shot! It was a great uppercut.

And according to Fox 2 News today...she said that the trip was not very helpful anyway! But of course, it's her Chief of Staff's fault. And how is that BRC? Did the COS force you to go to Dubai? Kidnap you and put you on the plane kicking and screaming? I'm soooo tired of these people not taking responsibility for what they do!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast