Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Annual Detroit Fall Beer Festival-A Raging Success

The 2nd Annual Detroit Fall Beer Festival was an amazing success yesterday, with over 2500 individuals coming together to enjoy this driving force of civilization.

This represents a DOUBLING of last year's attendance, without a single negative incident, save for that poor goth gent who lost his lunch as his girlfriend dragged him towards home.

This festival celebrates Michigan made beer products, and was mentioned in a CNN article on five festivals to not miss this fall. I am still wondering how that got picked up.

Kudos to the Metro Times with their inventive collaboration, this is the only festival by the Michigan Brewer's Guild with shared sponsorship. The other Guild festivals include the big one in Ypsilanti in the summertime, one in the UP at the end of summer...and I'm already planning on attending the Winter Festival in Grand Rapids in February.

Met some amazing individuals, and watched the crowd get progressively loose from their imbibing. Funny how spontaneous toastings became the norm after 4 o'clock. There were two live bands with a good DJ filling the inbetweens, and Mother Nature held her part of the planning by only raining a little...making up for the chilly dampness that we endured last year.

The Michigan Brewer's Guild is filled with some engaging and passionate individuals, and I've become gradually more involved this past year, since one of my oldest hifi-industry friends is one of their organizers. He was in charge of this festival for the past few years, and I'm more than proud of the results.

Mark your calendars for next year, if you love craft beers...and a really great party...you owe yourself to get to the next Detroit Fall Beer Festival. October, 2011.

Cheers

This event should partner with the Theatre Bizarre folks. Problem solved.

I dunno, there WERE a few folks in costume.

From early on, I kept crossing paths with a couple dressed as vampires. They were working with one of the brewers, because they were there before the gates opened.

Then the two swarthy gents in kilts, and at least one fellow in lederhosen.

There was a woman with a wonderful brain-eating zombie-shark hat...along with a few of her cohorts from the Fort Street Brewery wearing slightly less bizarre animal hats...they made their tent a bit more festive.

Oh yeah, and the aforementioned Goth couple with the dude who couldn't handle the fun. [[as IF I could, heh, I went home and took a nap at three o'clock, if it wasn't for that I would've been down for the count...I'm not a big afternoon drinker!)

These may be mutually exclusive crowds, Jimaz.

Cheers

Did a bus tour of Detroit today. Was struck by the tidiness at Eastern Market, even more impressive now that I know about yesterday's brew-haha.

M'68,

I lived there for three years, and was always amazed at the efficiency of the cleaning crews after a regular Saturday. The street cleaners even keep an eye out for odd wanderers, too. More than once, with my strange hours and penchant for going for wee morning walks or jogs, they'd give me the eye...until they recognized me!

The Beer Festival hired the same crew, it seems. They were stellar, and oddly sociable. I think even they got into the whole good vibe of that event!

Cheers

It was the best event so far this fall, although I remember very little toward the end of it.

We were on our way out and passed the yakking, Goth guy, who had the 1980 Goody comb sticking out of his back pocket.

This was my first Fall festvial [[I missed last year). I've been to almost every summer one in Ypsi. The festivals are always a good time and a great time to introduce people to Michigan beer.

Beer is The Great Social Equilizer. All groups at these fests have a good time. Young and old, consevative, liberal, goth, preppy...LOL

[[Gannon...John? UM-D back in the day?)

-Darren

Darren!

Absolutely.

We were probably ten feet from each other, if you saw the Goth yak!

How funny is that?!

When is the next radio station reunion?! Either that, or we drive out to South Lyon and crash Sedik's party someday. Been too long.

So you survived the Ypsi flood-fest? I only heard about the weather, I was out-of-town that weekend...won't miss another, if I can help it.

My friend and I are still bummed we missed the UP one, we were up in Petoskey that week too. Never again, if one is within a few hour drive or less.

Lewis says the Grand Rapids Winterfest is amazing...same party, only outside in the winter weather.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Darren!

Absolutely.

How funny is that?!

When is the next radio station reunion?! Either that, or we drive out to South Lyon and crash Sedik's party someday. Been too long.

So you survived the Ypsi flood-fest? I only heard about the weather, I was out-of-town that weekend...won't miss another, if I can help it.
    Cheers
    LOL! Good to see you John! Its been a long time. I saw Mark Casmer at a Tigers game over the summer. Sedik is working back at Ford.

The Ypsi Monsoon was crazy. 5000 people huddled in tents. But, the good thing is, we were all drinking good beer! I'm going to attempt the Winter Fest if I have the weekend open.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Darren!

Absolutely.

How funny is that?!

My friend and I are still bummed we missed the UP one, we were up in Petoskey that week too. Never again, if one is within a few hour drive or less.

Lewis says the Grand Rapids Winterfest is amazing...same party, only outside in the winter weather.

Cheers

I have been to the last 3 Winter Beer Fests in GR and it is fantastic. Each year I have watched it get bigger and better! I hope to make the Harvest Beer Festival next year!

I was hoping admission would have decreased by half so the price would go down! LOL

Just kidding...I am glad it was a success, but I am bitter I couldn't pull together the $35 to get in.