Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Capitol Park Ceremony Wed., 1:00 p.m.

Michigan history revives -- and maybe public virtue along the way.

LodgeDodger Guest

I'm going to try to attend.

www.boyguv.com

it appears it is funded by the DEGC and per usual, it is a tad unusual.

Lunchtime fun as "Boy Gov" Stevens T. Mason gets repotted in spiffed-up Capitol Park. Come to witness history, stay for the cute pallbearers.

Since one of my gggrandfathers was part of Mason's milita in the Toledo War, I'll certainly try to pay my respects.

I think I am heading over for this today...that is if the phones stop ringing long enough for me to actually get up from my desk today. My daughter has a few questions about Stevens T. Mason on her SS test this week so I thought I would grab some pics for her

Bring 'em home!

bartock Guest

I'll be there.

I'll be there :-D

bartock Guest

Admittedly, I was pretty bored pretty quickly at this, and only lasted about 15 minutes. The improvements look and feel good, though, albeit unfinished. Hopefully, it will be a catalyst.

The statue of the Boy Governor was tagged. Wish they would have thought to clean it off this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Admittedly, I was pretty bored pretty quickly at this, and only lasted about 15 minutes. The improvements look and feel good, though, albeit unfinished. Hopefully, it will be a catalyst.

The statue of the Boy Governor was tagged. Wish they would have thought to clean it off this morning.
    When I was standing there, it was hard to deny the development potential of Capitol Park. It is perhaps the most urban-feeling part of downtown. The streets are narrow, the buildings are close together, first floor retail lines the sidewalk, lofts can be easily created in the buildings above. You are completely enveloped by the city in Capitol Park, which is a great feeling. And, there are essentially no parking lots to interrupt the urban fabric. You truly realize what a friggen eyesore parking lots are when you are in a part of downtown that doesn't have 2-per block. Hopefully, Stevens T. Mason can work some of his goodwill and ambition over the city from his renovated resting place. We need him now more than ever.

It was nice, a little tough hear a couple of the speakers, that jerk who brought his barky dog didn't help.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    It was nice, a little tough hear a couple of the speakers, that jerk who brought his barky dog didn't help.
    I wasn't too happy about the beeping trucks, either.

Brush - agree with what you said. I will say that something should be done with those trees...they did not look healthy, even in the summer. Also, I am assuming that they have put in new lighting [[I think the wiring of the existing fixtures were just upgraded?), and I am curious as to how it looks at night. Won't have to long to find out with DST coming up.

LOL the barky dog and his owner looked like they belonged together, they sort of had matching personalities/looks going on...dog barked at the police horse a few times and I swear the horse was thinking about stepping on the dog. But the dog was kinda cute

I could not believe they didn’t remove the graffiti from the monument!! WTF?

Overall nice little ceremony though

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    I wasn't too happy about the beeping trucks, either.

Brush - agree with what you said. I will say that something should be done with those trees...they did not look healthy, even in the summer. Also, I am assuming that they have put in new lighting [[I think the wiring of the existing fixtures were just upgraded?), and I am curious as to how it looks at night. Won't have to long to find out with DST coming up.
    Agreed. The light posts look new, but I never really looked at what was there prior to the facelift. The only thing I know, is that at night, Capitol Park is usually dark as hell. It makes the place look shady and I think, actually becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy as some odd balls usually hang out around there at night because it is so dark. Whenever I walk through there after dusk, I want to take a giant spotlight and shine it into all the nooks and crannies to see what's lurking in there. I always wondered if the city intentionally kept CP unlit to draw some of the seedier people out of the rest of downtown and to keep tourist-types from going down there. Even outside of D'mongo's, there's only one streetlight ever on, and it's right above the strip club. If they just brightened the whole place up, the park would look so much more appealing to investors. It's right on the main drag of the CBD.

By the way, what is DST?
    Last edited by BrushStart; October-27-10 at 02:34 PM.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Agreed. The light posts look new, but I never really looked at what was there prior to the facelift. The only thing I know, is that at night, Capitol Park is usually dark as hell. It makes the place look shady and I think, actually becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy as some odd balls usually hang out around there at night because it is so dark. Whenever I walk through there after dusk, I want to take a giant spotlight and shine it into all the nooks and crannies to see what's lurking in there. I always wondered if the city intentionally kept CP unlit to draw some of the seedier people out of the rest of downtown and to keep tourist-types from going down there. Even outside of D'mongo's, there's only one streetlight ever on, and it's right above the strip club. If they just brightened the whole place up, the park would look so much more appealing to investors. It's right on the main drag of the CBD.

By the way, what is DST?
    Daylight Savings Time.

Once or twice a week I'll meander a little getting out of downtown on my way back to Harper Woods.

The building on the corner of State and Griswold, the one across from the David Stodt building which was prchased by DEGC ... had dumpsters out front and some sort of something going on inside. Also the Farwell building had its front door open with a couple of portajohns out front.

Didin't go inside because that guy with the dog was hanging around out front. Looked to me like he had something going on there.

The building on the corner of State and Griswold, the one across from the David Stodt building which was prchased by DEGC ... had dumpsters out front and some sort of something going on inside. Also the Farwell building had its front door open with a couple of portajohns out front.

Didin't go inside because that guy with the dog was hanging around out front. Looked to me like he had something going on there.
    I don't know about the one across from the Stott, other than it is missing bricks along the wall facing the Book Cadillac, but the Farwell is owned by the State Land Bank, and until a recent movie, has been boarded up for years. Hopefully this is the spark that the park renovation was supposed to provide that is starting already. Time will tell.

What is the name of the red bick building on the corner of state and shelby...it had arched windows near the top and I think I might love this building [[I just noticed it for the 1st time today) ..

I don't know WM, but I do know it used to be a cigar factory. Hornwrecker would know for sure.

people were not pleased at the dog. he sure had a loud bark.

I was impressed with the turnout at the event. a pretty good crowd for such an odd thing in the middle of a weekday.

couldn't believe the statue was tagged.... not good.