Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default U of D's Pledge Detroit: Living up to their motto!

I don't know if anyone has heard about this yet, but as the mom of a freshman at this awesome high school...AND a lover of this great city...I felt the need to get this on one of my favorite websites too!

http://www.pledgedetroit.com/

Just to clarify, these kids are cleaning up historic Fort Wayne and are also working on Belle Isle. Check out the information on the site.

U of D students also volunteer at Manna meals at Michigan and Trumbull. The students really learn about the city, the good, bad and ugly. I think most of them come to love this town for itself and not the image presented on the national media or local news.

We used to have U of D students get drunk and throw up in our bushes! I used to hate those rich b@s#@rd$!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    We used to have U of D students get drunk and throw up in our bushes! I used to hate those rich b@s#@rd$!
    Not all of them are rich.......my son included. The school gives out a LOT of financial aid to those who are in need.
    It really is a great school.

That is a super initiative! It is also something which lasts a lifetime. Kids are going to remember how important it is to give to their community and extend this to other projects later in life.

U of D is a fine school, congrats to them - and to their parents -

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Very different from those well behaved students from other schools in the neighborhood, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by tammypio View Post
    Not all of them are rich.......my son included. The school gives out a LOT of financial aid to those who are in need.
    It really is a great school.
    How much financial aid can students get as a percentage of the total tuition? I was shocked when I recently came across what it cost to attend a a Catholic school.

A few months ago I heard that my grade school had closed up this past year.
    Catholic schools appear to be dropping like flies.

They really do take your whole financial situation into account. You fill out the FAF online and then the school also reviews your circumstances.
    I have taught in a Catholic school for the past 19 years and have not made near the money I would have in a public school. I believe they took that, as well as my husband's medical issues, into account.
    It is also expected that you will volunteer time to the school. I'm doing my best to raise as much as I can for fundraisers, work at the annual auction, etc.
    They say that they won't turn away any student who is academically qualified but can't afford it. There are students from all of the metro-Detroit counties as far away as Milford and some from the inner-city.
    U of D is diverse both culturally and socio-economically.
    Free Press article:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...s-a-new-pledge

Quote Originally Posted by tammypio View Post
    U of D is diverse both culturally and socio-economically.
    I'll take it a step further, U of D is probably one of the most diverse high schools in the metro area- period.

I know its a little off topic, but I worked on these U of D commercials back in April and thought I'd share:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIBKS50OUec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISz1es9IHe8

Those are really cool commercials Pcm.....but we are talking about the high school, U of D Jesuit, not the college. I love UDM too....we have a lot of students doing work-study jobs at my school and I am very impressed with them. My school is directly across the street from campus and we are blessed to work closely with the university.

Whoops! I guess I should brush up on my knowledge of local high schools!