Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    again.. the Anchor Bar was not ever on 3rd or 4th.
    i asked my dad who grew up in Detroit in the 30's and 40' about it's history.
    started in the basement of Shelby and Congress in the the 40's. then moved to Shelby between Congress and Fort. After things happened in the 60's, they the moved to Fort street where they are now. It is still good though. they and we have the belief for Detroit. I LOVE the Anchor Bar as so many have!!!!
    The Anchor was the only tennant in the Fort Shelby hotel until about 1990 when it moved to the home of the former Hannon's Flowers where it now is.

I was just a kid so my venue's were limited. I remember lunch at Hudson, mom always got Maurice Salad. Liked Jims Garage and Carls on special occasions. But what sticks out for me was when we got to go to Top of the Flame. As a little kid thats was so cool. I recall a lot of Mothers days and birthdays their. I also remember my dad taking us to some Hungarian place but cant recall the name.

Sindbad's is still open for lunch and dinner every day, and is still owned by the Blancke family. It is also [[imo) still a very pleasant place to have lunch on a sunny spring, summer, or fall day, with its views of nearby marinas. Like pretty much every place else around here though, especially here on the east side, they are really struggling to hold on under current conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The Anchor was the only tennant in the Fort Shelby hotel until about 1990 when it moved to the home of the former Hannon's Flowers where it now is.
    There have been, I believe, 4 Anchor Bars in total. The first one began as an illegal drinking [[and betting) backroom operated by Leo Derderian at his family's grocery store on [[I think) Third near Lafayette. This establishment eventually became entirely a barroom, with no sign on the outside save for an USMC anchor insignia for Leo's time in the Marines.

It's not clear if the bar was ever properly licensed, but since its regular patrons included the city's most well-known newspapermen, broadcasters, and politicians, upper echelons of the police department, and one of the most prominent members of the Catholic clergy, Monsignor Clement Kern, no one really cared. That is, until the FBI raided the place for illegal gambling and transmitting gambling information across state lines and international borders [[someone apparently took some calls from Windsor and Toledo). Reportedly, part of the reason for the FBI action to stop their agents from drinking there during their working hours, since the FBI office in Detroit was very nearby.

Once that situation was resolved, the Anchor reopened as a legitimate bar - with a sign and everything - near Lafayette and Second, which put it smack dab in between the Free Press, the News, and WWJ TV and radio, allowing it to keep its traditional media clientele.

When that building was torn down as part of Detroit's usual cycle of urban non-renewal, Leo picked up and moved across the street into the old Fort Shelby Hotel. And the bar operated in that otherwise abandoned and increasingly dilapidated hotel for many years. Those who went there will never forget the rather spooky trip to the restrooms across the darkened dusty lobby of the empty hotel.

Eventually, the utilities were shut off in the old hotel, and the Anchor was forced to move again, to its present location on Fort St.

The Lindell AC had a somewhat similar history, which seems to be often confused or confounded with that of the Anchor. It too began as a marginally legal bar, in the basement of the Lindell Hotel on Fourth. It too was patronized by a lot of media and political types [[and, of course, sports figures). It too was raided for gambling activities, and was forced to relocate by urban "renewal" efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    There have been, I believe, 4 Anchor Bars in total. The first one began as an illegal drinking [[and betting) backroom operated by Leo Derderian at his family's grocery store on [[I think) Third near Lafayette. This establishment eventually became entirely a barroom, with no sign on the outside save for an USMC anchor insignia for Leo's time in the Marines.

It's not clear if the bar was ever properly licensed, but since its regular patrons included the city's most well-known newspapermen, broadcasters, and politicians, upper echelons of the police department, and one of the most prominent members of the Catholic clergy, Monsignor Clement Kern, no one really cared. That is, until the FBI raided the place for illegal gambling and transmitting gambling information across state lines and international borders [[someone apparently took some calls from Windsor and Toledo). Reportedly, part of the reason for the FBI action to stop their agents from drinking there during their working hours, since the FBI office in Detroit was very nearby.

Once that situation was resolved, the Anchor reopened as a legitimate bar - with a sign and everything - near Lafayette and Second, which put it smack dab in between the Free Press, the News, and WWJ TV and radio, allowing it to keep its traditional media clientele.

When that building was torn down as part of Detroit's usual cycle of urban non-renewal, Leo picked up and moved across the street into the old Fort Shelby Hotel. And the bar operated in that otherwise abandoned and increasingly dilapidated hotel for many years. Those who went there will never forget the rather spooky trip to the restrooms across the darkened dusty lobby of the empty hotel.

Eventually, the utilities were shut off in the old hotel, and the Anchor was forced to move again, to its present location on Fort St.

The Lindell AC had a somewhat similar history, which seems to be often confused or confounded with that of the Anchor. It too began as a marginally legal bar, in the basement of the Lindell Hotel on Fourth. It too was patronized by a lot of media and political types [[and, of course, sports figures). It too was raided for gambling activities, and was forced to relocate by urban "renewal" efforts.

The Lindell Hotel Bar was not on Fouth, but rather located at Cass & Bagley [[1519 Cass). The bar moved to Michigan & Cass in April 1963, with Alex Karras as the third partner. Jimmy & Johnny were not exactly disappointed when the city condemned the hotel. The Michigan & Cass location was better and with less headaches. Certain media types patronized the Lindell, but nothing to the extent of the Anchor. Otherwise, the jocks would have stayed away from the Lindell. Please elaborate on what you mean by raids regarding gambling activities. I know they had a couple of issues with Michigan LCC regarding gambling devices on the premises, and in the 1962-63 the FBI were asking questions concerning Alex Karras and the fact certain underworld types were known to frequent the place. However, never heard anything about raids. As Ray pointed out before, Jimmy & Johnny had a cousin with DPD. At one point Edwin J. Anderson tried to make the Lindell off limits for Detroit Lions players, and that policy failed miserably. The funny thing is Jim Campbell of all people never gave a damn about Detroit Tigers players [[especially Norm Cash) being regulars at the Lindell.

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    Berman's steak house, Topinka's on the Boulevard, the Ponch Wine Cellars, Jim's Garage. I'm having a near-senior moment, what was the name of the restaurant/bar across from the Fisher building, a lot of GM management hung out there after hours?
    Wasn't there a Topinka's on 7 mile also [[Country House ), as well as another steakhouse across the street from it. I don't remember the name of that one. This was early 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    I was just a kid so my venue's were limited. I remember lunch at Hudson, mom always got Maurice Salad. Liked Jims Garage and Carls on special occasions. But what sticks out for me was when we got to go to Top of the Flame. As a little kid thats was so cool. I recall a lot of Mothers days and birthdays their. I also remember my dad taking us to some Hungarian place but cant recall the name.
    Do you remember The Money Tree? it was an upscale restaurant - very nice It was there in the early 80's. Don't know about the 70's though

Quote Originally Posted by lester wild View Post
    Wasn't there a Topinka's on 7 mile also [[Country House ), as well as another steakhouse across the street from it. I don't remember the name of that one. This was early 80's.
    That restaurant just came to me. it was 'John Laffrey's Steaks On The Hearth". Those were the days.

Yes indeed!

Yes, John Laffrey's was a gem and hung in there for 40 years, closing in '09.

Victor Lim's and the old Big Boy restaurant bring back great memories. Also remember that there was a franchise downtown of the short-lived Roy Roger's hamburger chain.

Mayfield Chop House, pretty sure it was on Clifford. Can’t believe it wasn’t mentioned, the food there was terrific.

What, four pages and no mention of Carl's Chop House? Mmm steaks and hashbrowns.

Greenfield's cafeteria, Chung's, La Laterna, Victor Lim's [[had my first legal drink there) , Hella's, Hudson's mezzanine for the Maurice salad, Sander's, Flaming Embers, Trader Vic's

Has anybody said Marios or Lellis?

Do you remember The Money Tree? it was an upscale restaurant - very nice It was there in the early 80's. Don't know about the 70's though
    I had lunch there a few times when I worked in the area in the mid-90s. I wouldn't call it 'upscale', at least not during lunch hour.

Wasn't there a Topinka's on 7 mile also [[Country House ),
    There WAS ....

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Mayfield Chop House, pretty sure it was on Clifford. Can’t believe it wasn’t mentioned, the food there was terrific.
    The Mayfield Chop House was on Griswold, in the block between Grand River and Clifford.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    There WAS ....

Went there for dinner after Notre Dame's Senior Prom in 1973; the dance was at Lovett Hall. Very elegant night for the times

Could it be the brewery?

The China Doll, on Second Av., just north of the Fisher Bldg., was a Cantonese place in a house that had been converted into a restaurant. Their pressed duck was the best Chinese dish in Detroit, and while the menu would have seemed tedious to more adventurous diners, the preparations were always excellent and never disappointed, something not always said of Detroit's most legendary eateries. I left Detroit in 1977 for many years in San Francisco, where I never had such a dependable source of old standards, although there was more exotic stuff than anyone could sample.
    Last edited by A2Mike; May-23-19 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pjbear05 View Post
    What, four pages and no mention of Carl's Chop House? Mmm steaks and hashbrowns.
    Carl's was also renowned for its cheescake, but I can't vouch for it. After a Carl's steak, sides and beverages, the only dessert I wanted was a nap.

Topinkas did burn down, but was rebuilt to exact detail. There also used to be Topinkas on West Grand Blvd near the Fisher. In the late 60's i was the parking valet for Laffreys.

Quote Originally Posted by pjbear05 View Post
    I remember reall great prime rib, huge piece, bone in.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Geeze Louise, has that been 40 years already? Well, favorites included Jim's Garage, demolished for Cobo expansion, Lindell AC, demolished for People Mover stop, I think, Hudson's, we all know how that went. We didn't have money then, so dining out was a very special occasion.
    Lindell's AC was demolished for the Rosa Parks Transit Center

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast