Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Downtown Detroit Restaurants & Bars- 1970

Downtown Detroit was a very active place in 1970, what were your favorite downtown restaurants & bars 40 years ago?

Frank's [[demolished for the Cobo expansion) and Post Bar on Congress.

The Flaming Embers as I could get a t-bone steak, baked potato, salad, Pepsi for less that $2!!! My Dad would take me there often in the 60's and then we'd walk down to the Telenews to see some sort of documentary.

Geeze Louise, has that been 40 years already? Well, favorites included Jim's Garage, demolished for Cobo expansion, Lindell AC, demolished for People Mover stop, I think, Hudson's, we all know how that went. We didn't have money then, so dining out was a very special occasion.

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    The Flaming Embers as I could get a t-bone steak, baked potato, salad, Pepsi for less that $2!!! My Dad would take me there often in the 60's and then we'd walk down to the Telenews to see some sort of documentary.
    In 1970? Are you sure that you are remembering that correctly?

Telenews closed in the sixties.

Trader Vic's was my favorite, although it was 1974 by the time I was legal to go there. Their Planter's Punches and Mai Tai's were part of my early downfall.

Oh, I forgot Chin-Tiki and Forbidden City. Forbidden City was by the Masonic, not right downtown.
    Last edited by gazhekwe; October-23-10 at 11:00 AM.

Geez. You guys are making me feel old, as I visited everyone of the places that has been mentioned so far. I must have eaten dozens of egg foo yung lunches at Chin Tiki and some multiple of that number of post work beers at Franks and the Post.

Frank's had the best burgers in town. Haven't been able to find one to equal it since.

Victor Lims on Grand Circus park was cool. The old Top Hat slider hamburger stands were great for cheap dinner when I was in school.

DC48080 Guest

London Chop House, Little Harry's, Money Tree, Top of the Flame, Pontch Wine Cellar, The Bronze Door. Ahh, the good old days.
    Last edited by DC48080; October-23-10 at 06:24 PM.

The restaurant that impressed me the most was Mauna Loa in New Center.... never saw a river run thru a restaurant before... awesome atmosphere.... great food.

One of my favorite restaurants was the Cedars, behind the stage of the Fox Theatre on West Columbia...also The Shiek on E Lafayette just off Randolph. Nicholson's on Woodward and the King's Table on E Congress in the First Natl Bldg.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    The Telenews was open well into the 1970's although the theatre, for a brief time showed "art" or limited release films like the old Studio Theatre at Livernois and Davison in Detroit. That didn't last long, however. I do remember seeing newsreels there in the early 60's at a very tender age...about 10years old.

When my father had his office at the David Stott Building we would often go to the Caucus Club. Once, when I was around 5yr, I saw Mr. Belvedere [[from the home repair commercials popular on channel 50) in the mens' room. I was so excited I ran out still unzipped yelling 'Mr. Belvedere, Mr. Belvedere, it's Mr Belvedere." He came over and properly introduced himself to my family and had a drink with my parents. I just sat speechless in awe. The meeting which what to me was a real life TV celebrity was such a thrill that I think I still rank as his number one fan.

The Red Barn on Woodward and Temple.

Favorites? Probably 2. The resturant on the mezzanine level of the downtown Crowley's, and [[don't ask me why) the downtown Ho-Jo's. Carl's figures into this list somewhere, but it wasn't really downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    The Telenews was open well into the 1970's although the theatre, for a brief time showed "art" or limited release films like the old Studio Theatre at Livernois and Davison in Detroit. That didn't last long, however. I do remember seeing newsreels there in the early 60's at a very tender age...about 10years old.
    According to cinematreasures.com :
    By the 60s, people could turn on the news at home, and had no need for newsreels, and the Telenews was closed.

In 1969 it was acquired by Nicholas George Theatres and substantially remodeled by Louis Wiltse. It was renamed the Plaza Theater, and seating was reduced to about 440. By 1971, it switched to adult fare, until closing in 1987.

Reopened in 1988 as the Tele-Arts, it was now screening art and foreign features until it was shuttered in 1991.

The Tele-Arts was rented to groups on occasion during the 90s, but began to decline. [[Its spectacular globe and marquees long since removed.)

Jims Garage, Checkers, & the Clam Shop a little further out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    In 1970? Are you sure that you are remembering that correctly?
    I recall it well. Apparently I was off topic by one year

The original Checker Bar [[on Farmer), the Sheik, the still-existing Laikon, the Mayfield Chop House, Jacoby's, the old Bagel Deli on Woodward, and for that fancy night out, the Pontchartrain Wine Cellars, were some of my family's favorites. Farther out from downtown, the place we ate most often when they took us kids out to eat [[which didn't happen a lot) was the Golden Dragon, both in the 'old' [[Third) Chinatown, and the 'new' [[Cass) Chinatown. The Clam Shop on E. Grand Blvd. was also a big favorite, as was Cardinali's up off Gratiot. And, of course, the king of all east side big nights' out, Joe Muer's.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerSpringGardener View Post
    Frank's [[demolished for the Cobo expansion) and Post Bar on Congress.
    Frank's was a good place. Jim's Garage, across the street also made way for the Cobo Expansion. A friend and I attended the closing party for Frank's and Kovac's, in Delray, on the same day. Frank's and Jim's were demolished but Kovac's reopened and lives on. We also attended the final party for Jim's Garage in the same time period.

Bull Market on W. Lafayette, Mayfield Chophouse on Griswold, the cafeteria in the Penobscot Building and some inexpensive Italian joint in a White Castle-like facade on Grand River or Clifford, west of Woodward. Can't recall the name.

Berman's steak house, Topinka's on the Boulevard, the Ponch Wine Cellars, Jim's Garage. I'm having a near-senior moment, what was the name of the restaurant/bar across from the Fisher building, a lot of GM management hung out there after hours?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast