Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Help Identifying Building

Hey team! I GOT ANOTHER BUILDING that I would love to know what it used to be. Do any off you remember what this was???? Thank you for your time,,..you guys and gals are the greatest!

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&bi...ed=0CBQQ8gEwAA

In the 60s it was a potato chip factory. This building has been mentioned in several threads before. I lived just down the street at the corner of Grandy/ Medbury. I believe it was identified as a bakery initially. Will try to find the link.

If you're interested in that neighborhood, there's a gorgeous little church still on the corner of Hendrie & Joseph Campau that I think was the Russian Orthodox for the area.

In the last 1920's Hendrie looked like this:

In the 1940s it was the Nicolay-Dancey Potato Chip factory. In the 1960s it was a Frito-Lay plant.
    Last edited by MikeM; October-23-10 at 10:14 AM.

http://brandnamecooking.com/fritolay.html

In 1958, Frito brought into its orbit with mergers the Nicolay-Dancey Company of Detroit, one of the nation's largest potato chip manufacturers, and Crispie Potato Chip Company of Stockton, California. It purchased outright the Num Num Potato Chip Company in Cleveland.

Nicolay-Dancey was the maker of New Era potato chips:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/48597058...-chips-tin-can
    Last edited by MikeM; October-23-10 at 10:19 AM.

I think I posted this in the Early Polish Detroit thread in the HOF, from 1921 Sanborn maps.

Attachment 7634

In 1935 it was the Sterling Farms Creamery.

Thanks guys...I knew u would come through for me!

Outstanding Homewrecker. Is there a link to that HOF?

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    If you're interested in that neighborhood, there's a gorgeous little church still on the corner of Hendrie & Joseph Campau that I think was the Russian Orthodox for the area.

In the last 1920's Hendrie looked like this:
    All Saints was one of the oldest Orthodox churches in Detroit. It was eventually forced to close as the neighborhood deteriorated; after parishioners were repeatedly attacked while walking from their cars to the church building. Many former members of All Saints ended up joining Holy Trinity, on 8 Mile between Ryan and Dequindre.