Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default WJLB/WMXD moving operations to Farmington

http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/ind...topic=155619.0

Like whoa.. apparently Clear Channel is consolidating operations, and moving the R&B stations to the Farmington headquarters, 12 mile.. I wonder how this will work out for interns, present and future, who live in the city.. you basically have to have a car now..
    and what will become of the vacant space in the Penobscot building?

Did you happen to catch the year on that post?

That took place over a year ago sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    http://boards.radio-info.com/smf/ind...topic=155619.0

Like whoa.. apparently Clear Channel is consolidating operations, and moving the R&B stations to the Farmington headquarters, 12 mile.. I wonder how this will work out for interns, present and future, who live in the city.. you basically have to have a car now..
    and what will become of the vacant space in the Penobscot building?
    Even though this happened a year ago, it shows how much they care about young people... they don't. That sentiment is pretty much echoed throughout the region, which is why no young people want to live here, in addition to the lack of jobs, of course.

Most the TV and Radio stations are now in the burbs. WADL is "Detroit's urban TV station" and located in Mt. Clemens of all places, same distance from the city center as Ypsilanti.

Detroit Public TV moved from New Center to Wixom of all places, nearly half way to Lansing.

You can say this move is one station, but this has been happening over the years and what we are left with is a totally disconnected and decentralized region.

Wouldn't radio and TV benefit from being in the cultural center of Michigan? All those staff people, many of the young, would probably rather go outside their studio and see a city, than see a parking lot of an office park. Being concentrated, around other similar institutions is of benefit. Having the radio stations next to the music venues and cultural attractions makes sense. Having the TV stations next to Downtown courts, government and corporate HQs makes sense. But then again, Metro Detroit is chronically dependent on cars, so Clear Channel might just say "oh, well we can always drive our cars there."

Also, it is important to note that Clear Channel doesn't give a rats ass about Detroit or any city for that matter. Or for the people that live in the city, or people in general at all. They only care about money and pleasing shareholders. If they think they can make money by moving to Farmington, they will do it. If they think they can make money by lowering quality and standards, then be damned well sure they will.

This is old news but... It's a sign of the Walmartization of media as much as anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if either WJLB or WMXD loses its urban format in the near future.

what casscorridor said. Clear Channel's been doing this all 'roubd the country. It makes sense. Cheaper square footage, cheaper rent...you can complain to the FCC about the community services if you want

At least in all of this stuff I've managed to save some money. As someone who previously donated a decent amount to Detroit Public TV I find no reason to support them after moving to Wixom.

The sad comedy of the whole situation was that they insisted they could not find a location with enough exposure in the city [[even though the city offered to try to get them near Campus Martius).

The high visibility/high profile location. Wedged next to 96 in Wixom. Had they just said that they wanted to move to the suburbs, move closer to leadership's homes, reduce taxes [[if they pay any) etc that is one thing. The blatant bs made me keep my wallet in my pocket when they are fundraising.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    This is old news but... It's a sign of the Walmartization of media as much as anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if either WJLB or WMXD loses its urban format in the near future.
    I cannot picture WJLB broadcasting from [insert yuppie suburban township]. What a joke that would be. Might as well broadcast from Siberia.

One would think being dowtown would give these media companies more visibility and more credibility. You'd think they'd want to locate in a prominent building and have the billboard-style, ticker-tape marquees with news updates attached to the building. I'd like to see one of the local stations have a newsroom with a window facing the street, or hold a morning show in Campus Martius. I might actually watch that, but instead all I see is a bunch of negative nonsense about the city being reported from out in Southfield somewhere. This is probably why I learn of news faster by word-of-mouth on the street than from any of our news organizations.

Is any of Detroit's mainstream media [[tv) based downtown besides WDIV?

There are a few radio stations left in Detroit proper [[WGPR, WDET, WDRQ, WDMK, etc.) despite the loss of the two before-mentioned. The other ones that aren't don't really have a market in the city proper anyway.

Granted, nearly all the traffic reports still come out of Southfield.
    Last edited by 313WX; October-22-10 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Is any of Detroit's mainstream media [[tv) based downtown besides WDIV?

Geez, it's no wonder the news reports about Detroit always have a negative spin when you consider the sources.
    Negative spin is one thing. Seems like the local news is getting worse and worse at giving locations that actually exist

Default WDIV Campus Martius Broadcasts

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    One would think being dowtown would give these media companies more visibility and more credibility. You'd think they'd want to locate in a prominent building and have the billboard-style, ticker-tape marquees with news updates attached to the building. I'd like to see one of the local stations have a newsroom with a window facing the street, or hold a morning show in Campus Martius. I might actually watch that, but instead all I see is a bunch of negative nonsense about the city being reported from out in Southfield somewhere. This is probably why I learn of news faster by word-of-mouth on the street than from any of our news organizations.
    During Super Bowl XL weekend, WDIV broadcast its morning show from Campus Martius Park inside a temporary outdoor studio [[little more than a very fancy tent. But I was hoping that they'd continue the format by, perhaps, getting space in the Compuware Building facing the park. Also, during the buildup to the automaker bailouts, the network set-up a studio in one the towers downtown, and did broadcasts for Dateline with the skyline, including the Renaissance Center, as a backdrop. Does anyone remember this? Do you foresee one of the news studios doing this permanently?

Quote Originally Posted by youngdetroiter View Post
    During Super Bowl XL weekend, WDIV broadcast its morning show from Campus Martius Park inside a temporary outdoor studio [[little more than a very fancy tent. But I was hoping that they'd continue the format by, perhaps, getting space in the Compuware Building facing the park. Also, during the buildup to the automaker bailouts, the network set-up a studio in one the towers downtown, and did broadcasts for Dateline with the skyline, including the Renaissance Center, as a backdrop. Does anyone remember this? Do you foresee one of the news studios doing this permanently?
    Unfortunately, no. Seems like most of these media companies can't wait to distance themselves from the city, they are leaving at breakneck speed. The only way things are going to change is if the next generation moves in when all these old dolts retire to Myrtle Beach and attempt to undo all of the damage. It's going to be like putting toothpaste back in the tube, but it can be done. The sooner the old curmudgeons running this region into the ground decide to go tear up Florida's golf courses, the better.

Detroit needs pirate radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Detroit needs pirate radio.
    how do you create pirate radio..

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    how do you create pirate radio..
    You put an eyepatch on an announcer and get him to say Arr..

I was looking forward to some posts about radio in Detroit but also in the States in general. Some of the dumbing-down qualities of radio are in no special order; [[1) lack of local character or interest in contrast to some city newspapers who neglect international issues, [[2) the firebrand hosts tweaking national issues for corporate interests or right wing political agendas and [[3) the snake oil advertizing selling get rich schemes or reneging on your debts.

But there is plenty of sports talk, Lindsay Lohan's latest rehab or Paris Hilton's latest gaffe.

Mind youse, canadian radio is what american radio was like 20 years ago maybe with none of the syndicated Limbaughs and Hannitys, but a lot of the same advertizing. The hype is similar. The CBC is government run and acts as a sobering measure much like NPR. Both of these however are nowhere as independant from government intervention as they want to project.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    You put an eyepatch on an announcer and get him to say Arr..
    I dont like that kind of humor Stosh, because people are wont to believe this, and disguise themselves in a frivolous attempt to impersonate a corsair or pirate. Listeners have probable cause to presume this impersonator to be an actual pirate. The audience then dismisses reality at silly occurences like halloween or mardi gras in the obvious pursuit of happier times . This flight from reality is immoral and downright dangerous even if for an instant. They get plastered, and then the fun starts. They go: Tchrick or tchreat! their breath heavy with Jack Daniels and licorice or maybe just pastis. Then their faces turn evil, their jaws drop to reveal their true selves, ignominious ...

Screw them all. Let them move to Farmington Hills and see what they can do to bring Rhythm and Blues to mostly white folks.

Canuck, I do appreciate your interesting views and analysis!

When I saw what WWJ used to call home it absolutely floored me that they moved from that to a nondescript cinderblock building in Southfield.

Having worked for a while at WQBH in the old WJLB studios I can say that there was a feeling of history in that studio. It WAS something. From when Detroit radio meant something. Speaking from two decades of experience in radio, overall it ain't shit no more.

So much could be done if only people with vision had power instead of people looking only to their own wallets.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Screw them all. Let them move to Farmington Hills and see what they can do to bring Rhythm and Blues to mostly white folks.

Don't worry Danny, us white folk don't have the right bones in our ears to pick it up anyways, they'll be back in the city in no time. Even if we could, I doubt we have the capacity to appreciate it.

But hey,at least the black folks who live in Farmington Hills can listen to R&B again. Couldn't even buy it in the store, and I'm pretty sure you have to buy a new radio when you move out there, right? The ones with all the black stations scratched off the dial? Too bad for you guys in the D though... the way radio waves can't punch thru city limits and all.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I dont like that kind of humor Stosh, because people are wont to believe this, and disguise themselves in a frivolous attempt to impersonate a corsair or pirate. Listeners have probable cause to presume this impersonator to be an actual pirate. The audience then dismisses reality at silly occurences like halloween or mardi gras in the obvious pursuit of happier times . This flight from reality is immoral and downright dangerous even if for an instant. They get plastered, and then the fun starts. They go: Tchrick or tchreat! their breath heavy with Jack Daniels and licorice or maybe just pastis. Then their faces turn evil, their jaws drop to reveal their true selves, ignominious ...
    Aye. Ther she blows, matey.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Aye. Ther she blows, matey.
    Shiver me timbers, buccaneeroo!

I think a major hindrance in Detroit's development is the dependance on cultural product from outside its borders. You could say the same thing for countless other american or canadian cities where the cultural offer needs to be validated through the New York or Los Angeles mill.
    The problem with using syndicated stuff is that it does not really address local issues and likewise
    music on radio stations traditionally peddle major label products. Indy music and the web have changed the rules of the game but local expression in radio needs to be promoted by savvy producers that do more than what is offered now.

For films, a local story will be scripted via sreenwriting teams and digested through the number of stomachs of a Hollywood sacred cow. Then the holy cow udders spew a very watered down version of your authors original intent. In an ideal situation, a city the size of Detroit would much like old republic city states make their own cultural product. Berry Gordy got to do just that in the popular music scene for Detroit. This needs to be replicated somehow by validating cultural production on a local versus a national or international basis. Detroiters have proved worthy of global attention before on a number of fronts, they therefore know that they can defend their product against the distribution dictatorship emanating from either New York or Los Angeles. Radio, film and TV production are both labor intensive and call upon a lot of different skills both technical and artistic.

You have to suppose the need for personal and even community expression to be more important than the need to just consume cultural product. Of course artists need to consume cultural fare as much as producing it. But the important thing is to provide a framework beyond schooling to young artists, so they can contribute to the community but also feel they can live and work in Detroit rather than set their sights on other cities. Like a lot of posters here, I think one of the keys to Detroit's success is this provision for artistic expression. There is ample opportunity for this in Detroit because there are a lot of talents and great cultural and educational institutions, a lot of money, and know-how in capital investment.

Every possible means of developing talent in theatre such as Wayne State's program affords is a perfect springboard, but beyond that, Detroit money needs to fund larger infrastructure that promotes local playwrights and actors and the whole shebang. Film studio space is available in vacant industrial space with minor overhaul. Film production on a local basis would give Detroiters a voice, a mirror unto themselves. I mean it is important to bypass the idea that building studios only serve to attract hollywood producers. There are five million stories to be told Detroit...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast