Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Buy American Guest

Default Spitz in some deep trouble...

http://www.macombdaily.com/articles/...7903705469.txt

Spitz is blaming his inept ability to find the gunshot wound to Mr. Widlak on everything but himself. Lack of sophisticated equipment, a full-body real time scan is one. Macomb County just opened a brand new, state-of-the art morgue. I wonder how long it will take for him to resign, how long it will take for people to ask questions about the cause of death of their loved ones that Spitz autopsied.

I agree! How many other deaths have been misidentified? I know nothing about pathology except what I see on CSI, but to go from "no trauma" to gunshot wound seems ridiculous!

Quote Originally Posted by carlscomputers View Post
    I agree! How many other deaths have been misidentified? I know nothing about pathology except what I see on CSI, but to go from "no trauma" to gunshot wound seems ridiculous!
    Oh for fucksake! Thanks to the inane melodrama of CSI the common folk are going to start inserting themselves as experts in forensic medicine. Everyone should go out and get a pair of David Caruso sunglasses so they can spot gun shot wounds and all sorts of other evidence with a casual glance at the crime scene. Maybe that way we could eliminate the courts and execute these fuckers on the spot.

Please, people, remember that justice is not delivered on the television, but in a court of law. Justice is a process and cannot be neatly delivered between commercials for insurance and pharmaceuticals. Judge Judy is a TV show and so is, regrettably, CSI. Werner Spitz is a real life Quincy, and even Quincy made some snap judgements that he later recanted.

Spitz has a very long history of being a screw-up. I can't believe he even still has a license.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by menckensghost View Post
    Oh for fucksake! Thanks to the inane melodrama of CSI the common folk are going to start inserting themselves as experts in forensic medicine. Everyone should go out and get a pair of David Caruso sunglasses so they can spot gun shot wounds and all sorts of other evidence with a casual glance at the crime scene. Maybe that way we could eliminate the courts and execute these fuckers on the spot.

Please, people, remember that justice is not delivered on the television, but in a court of law. Justice is a process and cannot be neatly delivered between commercials for insurance and pharmaceuticals. Judge Judy is a TV show and so is, regrettably, CSI. Werner Spitz is a real life Quincy, and even Quincy made some snap judgements that he later recanted.
    It's difficult for me to fathom that Daniel [[not Werner) could make such a mistake. This is a high profile case and for him to miss a gunshot wound is inexcusable.

Werner Spitz is one of the top pathologists in the world. I guess his son has a lot more to learn from dear-ol-dad.

Watching him explain it yesterday on tv was interesting, to say the least. Read the comments following the story in the Macomb Daily. Brand new, state-of-the art lab with the latest equipment, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    It's difficult for me to fathom that Daniel [[not Werner) could make such a mistake. This is a high profile case and for him to miss a gunshot wound is inexcusable.
    Goodness, we know the family, I suppose eventually mysteries will be solved . . .

I'm talking about the old man. I didn't even know he had a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I'm talking about the old man. I didn't even know he had a kid.
    Daniel took over as Macomb County ME when his dad [[Werner) retired. The older Spitz, MD now works as a for-hire expert pathologist, gives seminars, and testifies around the country.

ferntruth Guest

http://www.macombdaily.com/articles/...7903705469.txt

Spitz is blaming his inept ability to find the gunshot wound to Mr. Widlak on everything but himself. Lack of sophisticated equipment, a full-body real time scan is one. Macomb County just opened a brand new, state-of-the art morgue. I wonder how long it will take for him to resign, how long it will take for people to ask questions about the cause of death of their loved ones that Spitz autopsied.

Yeah, but he probably drives an American car which should make you all warm and fuzzy.

Wasn't Dr. Spitz in hot water some 30 or more years ago for selling pitutary glands that he had removed from his "patients" ???????

EastSider Guest

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Dr. Dan's busy, busy schedule plays a part in all of this. He usually lets his morgue assistants do the work and only breezes in from his various college classes to look over their work.

The assistants call him when the work is done. I know one young lady who was yelled at by him because she called him "too early."

So many yet-to-be answered questions.

Was there no exit wound? Did decomposition disguise an exit wound? No shattered skull fragments at the exit wound? If a bullet entered but didn't exit, why wouldn't it have appeared on even inferior X-rays? Edit: after re-reading, I see the bullet was found in the body.

Wouldn't a .38 at point-blank be guaranteed to exit the skull? I don't know. I'm just asking.

How could a suicide be committed at that angle? By pulling the trigger with thumbs? Why? To disguise a suicide as a homicide?

Last edited by Jimaz; October-21-10 at 06:43 PM.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    Yeah, but he probably drives an American car which should make you all warm and fuzzy.
    It would make me feel much better about him if he drove American ferntruth.

ferntruth Guest

It would make me feel much better about him if he drove American ferntruth.
    I'm not surprised that you would feel better about someone who is "inept" [[to use your word) as long as he drove an "American car" [[whatever that is nowadays).

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    I'm not surprised that you would feel better about someone who is "inept" [[to use your word) as long as he drove an "American car" [[whatever that is nowadays).

It's just as I thought fern....you're as inept as Spitz...you can't tell when someone is being sarcastic with you.

In the 1960's or 1970's my Dad worked for a Detroit advertising agency, in the same building as the Wayne County Medical Examiner's office. In a hallway was a large box containing several bones. The ME gave Dad permission to take bones, and Dad helped himself to a femur and a skull.

That's the story, anyway. In my attic is a human skull I'm not sure what to do with.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    In the 1960's or 1970's my Dad worked for a Detroit advertising agency, in the same building as the Wayne County Medical Examiner's office. In a hallway was a large box containing several bones. The ME gave Dad permission to take bones, and Dad helped himself to a femur and a skull.

That's the story, anyway. In my attic is a human skull I'm not sure what to do with.
    Halloween's coming up!

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post

If I'm not mistaken, it is a pretty serious criminal offense to possess human remains.

If the guy's body was in the water for 30 days, it's not going to come out looking like he just went in. Like others have said, too many people think real life is CSI.

Quote Originally Posted by menckensghost View Post

Along those same lines, I had a class at WSU with a local judge who hated CSI because the show has placed unrealistic expectations in the minds of jurors who now expect to see things like DNA evidence, hair fibers, saliva samples, etc., and are reluctant to convict anybody when the prosecution just presents more traditional evidence such as eyewitness testimony, possession of items, fingerprints, motive, opportunity, etc.

People keep going back to, "but this isn't CSI it's much more difficult in real life," etc. The body was decomposed.

Yes, but...the Oakland County medical examiner discovered the bullet hole with a visual examination first.

The gun was lying just feet away from the body, in the water. How'd the Macomb Cty cops miss that?

http://detnews.com/article/20101022/...banker-s-skull

Buy American Guest

Dr. Spitz is supposedly a noted pathologist who even had a television show on A & E that followed him around in the morgue and in his private life. He is the head of the Macomb County Morgue. I would have thought that with this high profile case, he would have been a bit more careful in his findings. If he didn't have x-ray equipment that was state of the art, he should have asked for it after the state of the art morgue was built. He screwed up this autopsy, and one can only guess how many others he's screwed up. If a member of my family died in a suspicious way and Spitz concluded that it was suicide, I would question that finding today.
    He should have taken full responsibility for his screw up; instead he blamed it on not having a "real time" x-ray to be able to spot bullet fragments. I expect to hear that he has resigned his spot at the Macomb County Morgue in the near future....if not, remember this folks, and take your loved one somewhere else to be autopsied if you suspect unnatural causes.