Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Charter Commission Conventions

Detroit, we need you! Here's a message from the Detroit Charter Commission Chair, Jenice Mitchell Ford.

Dear Community Members and Group Leaders:

As Chair of the City of Detroit Charter Commission, I extend the entire Commission's appreciation for you/your organization's support of, or interest in, Phase I - Education Phase of the charter revision process. We are now moving into Phase II - Charter Conventions Phase.

PHASE II - CHARTER CONVENTIONS:
    This is the phase where we have significant public engagement and ask citizens to come to the table in working sessions with ideas for charter revisions.

The three [[3) Charter Conventions will be held on:
    Saturday, Nov. 6th [[9am to 5pm) and Sunday, Nov. 7th [[1pm to 5pm)
    Saturday, Nov. 20th [[9am to 5pm) and Sunday, Nov. 21st [[1pm to 5pm)
    Saturday, Dec. 4th [[9am to 5pm) and Sunday Dec. 5th [[1pm to 5pm)

WHAT CHARTER CONVENTION IS and IS NOT:

- IS opportunity for participants to engage in productive, focused working group discussions about charter related topics.
    - IS NOT designed to be a town hall meeting with open microphones where individuals speak on non-charter related topics.

YOUR HELP IS NEEDED TO:

- Send/mail the attached flier to your membership.
    - Commit to have a certain number of your membership attend the conventions.
    - Provide volunteers to staff the conventions [[serve as discussion facilitators, recorders, greeters, registers, etc.).
    - Partner with Commission to promote events.

FOR MORE INFORMATION & NEXT STEPS:

- Call [[313) 628-2517 or visit at 65 Cadillac Square, Suite 3210, Detroit MI 48226.

- Register at www.2009dcrc.org.
    - Complete and return attached partnership form.
    - Visit www.2009dcrc.org for more details. A more detailed schedule will be posted at website shortly.

SAMPLE CHARTER CONVENTION SCHEDULE:
    SATURDAY [[9am to 5pm)
    - Charter Commission full meeting/plenary session [[45 mins)
    - 5 to 9 Morning Sessions [[concurrent/simultaneous): Where panel provides data driven information on a particular topic
    - Lunch
    - 5 to 9 Afternoon Sessions [[concurrent/simultaneous): Where working groups use information learned in the morning to discuss proposed language. Sessions will be led by Commissioner[[s) and feature a facilitator and a recorder to record all the ideas generated.

SUNDAY [[1pm to 5pm)
    - Opening General Session [[30-45 mins)
    - Working Sessions [[concurrent/simultaneous): Where participants use information learned in Saturday morning session to discuss proposed language. Will follow same format as Saturday afternoon working session.

THANK YOU for your continued support. Feel free to disseminate the attached flier and partnership form widely. Thanks again.

Jenice Mitchell Ford, Chair
    City of Detroit Charter Commission
    65 Cadillac Square, Suite 3210
    Detroit, Michigan 48226
    [[313) 628-2517

Wow, sounds like they want the community to come, just not speak. This is how they do it? With "partnering" instead of "participation"? I'm confused.

No Detroitnerd, just the opposite. At other meetings, community members have only had a 2 minute window to speak. In some cases, some took that two minutes to give veiled campaign speeches, discuss items that were not at all charter-related or complain about 'takeovers'. These sessions will be interactive conversations but we are trying to keep folks focused on the charter rather than turning it into a complaint fest. Focus is important here.

Most meetings have been attended by the same people over and over, we are trying to get more involvement and gather more information [[and language) that can be part of a viable, workable charter.

Just one more thing: If we don't get district voting out of this, I'm gonna be majorly pissed.

:-) Based on the mandate given by more than 72% of the voters, I'd say districts are safe.

If anyone goes to any of these events, say hello to to me. I'll be the friendly neighborhood camera operator.

Looking forward to seeing you PCM!

REMINDER: DETROIT CHARTER CONVENTION, NOVEMBER 6 & 7, 2010

Don't forget the Charter Conventions this weekend. Can't make the whole day? Come for part of the day, we need your input! 313.628.2517. http://www.2009dcrc.org/

SATURDAY 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, "Structure, Relationships and Allocation of Power between Governmental Officials"

9am - 9:45am: Plenary session
    10am-11am: Form of Government, Ethics & Leadership, Planning & Financial Management
    11am - 12 noon: Council by District, Corporation Counsel, Inspector General

SATURDAY AFTERNOON: CONCURRENT WORKING SESSIONS TO DISCUSS PROPOSED LANGUAGE IDEAS
    __________________________________________________ _____
    SUNDAY 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM, "Service Delivery and Enforcement/General Fund Departments"

Public Safety [[police, fire, EMS), Senior Services, Youth Services

Conventions 2 & 3 will be held on other subjects on November 20th & 21st and December 4th & 5th

You comin'?

Saturday & Sunday, November 6th & 7th
    Schultze Elementary School
    10700 Santa Maria [[6 Mile & Curtis)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...te=fullarticle

http://detnews.com/article/20101105/...%C3%ADs-future

Quote Originally Posted by MsChievous View Post
    :-) Based on the mandate given by more than 72% of the voters, I'd say districts are safe.
    Even if we get district voting, it won't take place until 2017. But thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to the sessions.

Do you have to be a citizen of Detroit to attend?

What if you are a native-born, and can prove it with a birth certificate?!

This was my one thought after hearing the episode on Craig Fahle's show yesterday.

I am interested in helping with this, and am quite serious with these questions.

It may shape how strenuously I strive to open my new businesses in the city and invest in property here.

Cheers!

Gannon,

No, you don't need to be a 'Detroiter'. Great ideas come from everywhere and sometimes the best and most fresh ideas come from those who are not as close to the problem. What part of Craig's show gave you that idea? I'd like to correct any misconception.

Hope to see you there.

There was nothing on the show or on your website that specifically indicated that anyone like me was invited.

Here is the exact wording from the Commission website:

"Three Charter Conventions for Detroit Citizens & Stakeholders in Phase II to Galvanize Citizen Interests and Obtain Input!"

I merely needed the clarification.

I've sent my information to the website, and will make myself available as a volunteer for setup, teardown, and cleaning as well. If you have any specific needs for PA system operation, you will find me quite useful.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

Cheers
    Last edited by Gannon; November-05-10 at 03:35 PM.

What is the best on-line source for the current Charter?

I'd like to read it all, if it doesn't scramble my noggin too thoroughly.

I was quite excited to hear the interview...and while the enthusiasm of the fellow pushing the youth agenda was palpable, I'm wondering if that isn't merely creating duplication of offices without any real and true benefit...while raising costs that we've little money to cover.

Does this dialogue include discussion of Mayor Bing's 'plans' to consolidate neighborhoods? I've been talking up that idea for some time now.

I also am curious if the issues of small-scale non-corporate urban agriculture, and experimental sustainable living issues should be considered.

In addition, how is a record being formed to track what is discussed at these meetings? Can these records or notes become available before the next weekend's worth of meetings, so the dialogue can be built upon in an academic fashion? That way, if an idea has already been discussed and largely agreed upon, we might be able to avoid continually discussing points that do not need to be repeated ad nauseum.

That would, hopefully, save you time and energy...and keep those who HAVE to attend every session from the madhouse.

I like the loose agenda printed in advance...this helps clarify for some if their day would be totally wasted talking about something they have no real desire to hear. [[Even with a free lunch!)

And finally, will Robert's Rules of Order be in effect for the general and sub-committee meetings?! If not these, then SOME form of oversight, so the conversation can be managed somewhat!

Cheers, sorry for the twenty questions...I can have a busy mind when I focus myself.

Sincerely,
    John

I'd guess we need to do a better job of defining "stakeholders", I'm glad you brought that to my attention. I'm looking forward to meeting you though I think we actually met once before at one of Cub's events

[quote=Gannon;195994]What is the best on-line source for the current Charter?

Click here for a link to the charter and previous amendments:

http://www.detroitmi.gov/CityCouncil...4/Default.aspx

We tried linking it to our webpage but there's a question of the size...???

I was quite excited to hear the interview...and while the enthusiasm of the fellow pushing the youth agenda was palpable, I'm wondering if that isn't merely creating duplication of offices without any real and true benefit...while raising costs that we've little money to cover. [[You and I agree)

Does this dialogue include discussion of Mayor Bing's 'plans' to consolidate neighborhoods? I've been talking up that idea for some time now. [[This will come up but we are not really involved in the plans at this point)

I also am curious if the issues of small-scale non-corporate urban agriculture, and experimental sustainable living issues should be considered. [[I'd really like to hear more on this issue. It came up during one of our city-wide meetings and at one of the mayoral consolidation meeings but has not been explored in depth)

In addition, how is a record being formed to track what is discussed at these meetings? Can these records or notes become available before the next weekend's worth of meetings, so the dialogue can be built upon in an academic fashion? That way, if an idea has already been discussed and largely agreed upon, we might be able to avoid continually discussing points that do not need to be repeated ad nauseum. [[We have minutes of each meeting, some video, and are compiling all our documents for preservation. If you'll send me your email address, I will forward our agendas and supporting documents from our past meetings. I can also add you to the charter list for periodic updates. No revisions have been made yet, we are in phase 2 of 4 phases, Education, Collection, Writing & Promotion)

And finally, will Robert's Rules of Order be in effect for the general and sub-committee meetings?! If not these, then SOME form of oversight, so the conversation can be managed somewhat! [[Yes)

Sweet. It will be much easier for me if there are any familiar faces in the room.

What help can I be BEFORE the actual events? My schedule is quite flexible, and I can get downtown easily and often.

Cheers

sorry, email address is blount4charter at yahoo.com or blountc at detroitmi.gov

Note that our city email, city website and city phones sometimes do not work, thus I generally use my private email address.

Next time you clear the website's e-mail, you will have my information. I did not include my telephone number, but can provide that through e-mail as soon as I hear from you.

Thanks. [[now I've got to find that Robert's Rules handbook...LOL)

Gannon,

I remember your name but not your face, come up & introduce yourself. I'll be the gray-haired one holding a huge cup of coffee :-). Never go out without my coffee....

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Even if we get district voting, it won't take place until 2017. But thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to the sessions.
    Sorry kraig, looks like I ignored you :-[[ I hope you make yourself known to me tomorrow also.

and if there are any Facebook fans out there:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Det...54485951257218

Made it to day one. Had to juggle a few things...but we've got a turnout of just under 40 folks...8 charter members, and a gaggle of video camerapeople.

I'll let you know what happens.

We went into two one-hour discussion sessions that were divided into various sub-topics.

10:00
    1.) Form of Government, led by Josephine Powell.
    Included the balance of powers between the Executive and Legislative branches, and the relative strengths of each, including the City Clerk's office.
    2.) Ethics and Leadership, led by Trisha J. Arndt. Hopefully this is self-explanatory, but I could only be in one place at a time, and the agenda didn't include any additional commentary.
    3.) Financial Management and Planning, led by Ed Rago...a retired previous Finance Director.
    4.) Public Safety/Police, led by Reverend Jerome Warfield, the chair of the Police Commission.

I intended to attend both the 1st and 4th, after asking if we could move freely between these disparate topics. Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond his control, Mr. Warfield was a half hour late...but did a fine job presenting his points and fielding our questions. A few other members of the Commission were in attendance, and I walked away with the understanding that these folks are doing a ton of work investigating citizen's complaints with police interactions. I was previously unaware that this group even existed.

11:00
    1.) Council by District, led by Jenice Mitchell Ford.
    2.) Inspector General/Ombudsman led by the current person in this position, Durene L. Brown.
    3.) Corporation Council, led by Lamont Satchel, the general council for the Charter Revision Council.
    4.) Public Safety/Fire & EMS, led by Chuck Wilson. He has the distinction of having been both Police and Fire Chief under a few administrations, but especially under Mayor Archer.
    5.) Youth, led by Shawna Hayward and Sharnita C. Johnson. They are from, respectively, the Detriot Youth Commission and the Skillman Foundation.

I didn't intend on attending the Public Safety one, but it was in the same room as the Police one...and I am very glad I did. Chuck Wilson is a brilliant, dynamic individual with considerable experience. His presentation included topics such as response time and geographic restrictions.

So far, this has been really great. I highly suggest that more of y'all become involved in this process...carving up the definition of our future in this city.

Cheers

I just got done witnessing one of the best discussions of a topic I previously could not have cared less about...and learned a great deal from some individuals who are passionate about our government.

We discussed Strong and Weak Mayor forms, Council/Manager structure...among other suggestions. One fellow nearly drew the room into revolution with his pleas to continue our focus on Home Rule regardless of the restrictions forced upon us via State and Federal interference, whether Constitutionally sound or not!

THAT is the Spirit pervasive in this collection of individuals. I find myself in awe to be surrounded by such amazing intelligence and verve...and beautiful RESPECT for alternate and even strongly opposed opinions.

I cannot say enough about the need for more individuals to come to these sessions...or get involved by reviewing the work already done, with on-line commentary input at the very least. The Charter Commission will accept any and all forms of input.

MsChievous did an amazing job keeping the room on point. Kudos for your level head and even keel.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; November-06-10 at 05:43 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast