Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Nachos at Tiger Stadium in the 80's

I remember going to Tiger stadium in the 80's and eating nachos with a white cheese sauce [[it had chopped peppers in it). The flavor was unique and incredible. They changed over to the yellow sauce we are all use to now at some point in the mid to late 80's. I have been trying to find a recipe for that cheese sause for a long time now and wanted to know if anyone remembers the nachos from that time and if they have a recipe for them.
    Last edited by stirf07; October-20-10 at 11:49 AM.

BUMP, I'm not interested.

Thanks Danny. You tha man!! Because you are so interesting yourself! Just wanted some feedback from these nice people.
    Last edited by stirf07; October-20-10 at 12:19 PM.

Could be Monterey Jack cheese with jalapenos.

That sounds close. It's not pure Monterey Jack and jalapenos. It was a sauce but had a very unique flavor. I appreciate the feedback though. Maybe someone from the old days will remember.

EastSider Guest

Hmmm...a white sauce with a unique flavor. Cross-post to "gross."

The white sauce means it was not yellow like today's nacho sauce. the cross-post is not valid. Kinda sick that you imply anything "gross". I guess there are no normal people with a "real" response. Always wackos out there I guess. It's a shame really. I was trying to bring back a really great memory of a time gone by but everything is about the "shock" factor now. I get it. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by stirf07 View Post
    I remember going to Tiger stadium in the 80's and eating nachos with a white cheese sauce [[it had chopped peppers in it). The flavor was unique and incredible. They changed over to the yellow sauce we are all use to now at some point in the mid to late 80's. I have been trying to find a recipe for that cheese sause for a long time now and wanted to know if anyone remembers the nachos from that time and if they have a recipe for them.
    I don't remember it at all. I'm sure it was some shit that came out of a big can. I'd bet they didn't make it up from scratch over there if that's what you were wondering.

Hi stirf07:

I never had those, but it sounds like maybe an Alfredo sauce? I did a quick search for "alfredo sauce nachos" and quite a few recipes popped up; many referred to them as Italian Nachos.

Here are a few of the recipes that I found:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Super-D...os/Detail.aspx
    http://www.recipelink.com/mf/14/25735
    http://www.yumsugar.com/Your-Regular...Nachos-1573671

Do any of these sound like what you're thinking of? In the first link listed, the creator of the recipe mentioned that she had these at a festival, so maybe something similar would have been available at a ballpark?

Downtown Lady:

Thanks for the nice feedback. It's greatly appreciated. I think you may be exactly right. The recipe links you posted seem to be along the lines of what I remember. Not sure if the sauce I remember was "some shit that came out of a big can" [[softailrider), I'm sure it wasn't. They did things much different back then. The lame "cheap" way of doing things took over the good things we all enjoyed in a different era. Thanks again Downtown Lady!!

Great! Let me know if you make them -- they sound really good so I think I'll make them too. I would have never thought to put Alfredo on nachos but based on the recipe reviews it seems like they're a hit.

I will. Thanks.

I would doubt any stadium was offering any type of "home cookin"....sorry to say Im sure it was a can, but a can of what? meanwhile, here are two options... good luck.
    http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/white-...ce/Detail.aspx
    http://www.tammysrecipes.com/white_nacho_cheese_sauce

Quote Originally Posted by stirf07 View Post
    Downtown Lady:

Thanks for the nice feedback. It's greatly appreciated. I think you may be exactly right. The recipe links you posted seem to be along the lines of what I remember. Not sure if the sauce I remember was "some shit that came out of a big can" [[softailrider), I'm sure it wasn't. They did things much different back then. The lame "cheap" way of doing things took over the good things we all enjoyed in a different era. Thanks again Downtown Lady!!
    So you think they had some cook in a back room making up nacho cheese sauce from scratch at Tiger Stadium? I would kind of doubt it.

Never thought I'd ever see a thread on the warm feelings conjured by the smegmatic residue known at white nacho sauce.

get old enough, I guess you see everything.

It's amazing how rude and inconsiderate many of us are here in Detroit. I get some nice feedback from a few good people and then I get the others that I imagine are used to giving "crap" back and forth to everyone they know. It's a big shame really. Posters like "gnome", "softailrider" and "Danny" have other "issues" in their life to deal with I'm sure. Believe me, I never had any illusions that anything was made from "scratch" at "any" stadium. I was simply asking if there was somebody that had tasted the nachos from the 80's and Tiger stadium and if they had an idea of what the recipe might be. I guess posting on a website about Detroit shows you everything that CAN be bad about the people in our state. Again, it's a big shame. Oh well! We will all learn someday, but I guess that's another post all together isn't it? Thanks to those that posted genuine answers. I greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by stirf07; October-21-10 at 07:19 AM.

There was a time, back '89 I think, when Jimmy Schmidt of Rattlesnake Club fame had an off shoot of one of his many failed restaurants in the concession area at the entrance at Mich & Trumbull. The Restaurant was Cocina del Sol, in Southfield and they put Cocina Cantina down at the ballpark. At the time hes was partnering with Illitch.

Having been employed there[[RSC) many years, I'm certain that it was some sort of Bechamel based sauce, with probably Pepper-Jack and perhaps some sort of Chili's added as well.

elfez,
    I think you may be right on the mark. Thanks!

Message boards are full of rude people - it's not a Michigan/Detroit issue.

I remember that cheese sauce, too - hadn't thought of it for many years but you have me thinking about it now. It was good - bechamel base sounds about right.

It looked a lot like the one in this link:
    http://www.cooking-mexican-recipes.c...heese-dip.html

- looks like a good recipe to try.

tkierpiec,
    I appreciate the recipe and feedback. The recipe you listed looks really good. I appreaciate ALL the feedback on the post I made. I'm glad there are a couple of people that remember what I'm talking about. I know it's not a Michigan/Detroit thing. I really didn't want to try and make it a "Detroit" thing, that's why I said the state. I was born and raised in this area. I lived outside the state for about 4 years and couldn't wait to get back. I just wanted to make the point that some of us just really want to "have a discussion" without all the drama and negative input. That's all. Thanks again!!!

This sauce was from Sysco or Gordon Foods.The concessions at the ballpark were serviced by these companies or a similar one.It would have come in an instrustrial sized can.

"I guess posting on a website about Detroit shows you everything that CAN be bad about the people in our state."

Are you trying to win an award for overdramatic poster of the year. If your panties get that much in a bunch on a message board I would really hope that you never leave your house for fear someone might look at you funny.

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    "I guess posting on a website about Detroit shows you everything that CAN be bad about the people in our state."

Are you trying to win an award for overdramatic poster of the year. If your panties get that much in a bunch on a message board I would really hope that you never leave your house for fear someone might look at you funny.

And you just proved the point that stirf07 was making. Is the snark really necessary?

Yes it was necessary. It's one thing if people are blatably mean but getting upset about someone responding with 'ewwww'. Give me a break.

Queso Blanco with Chiles and Epazote #10 can from Meisel Sysco. Probably now under the Chefex label.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast