Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Food Again - the Detroityes cooking school.

I'll be the first to post on the new thread. Lowell said we won't be able to post on the old one after Wednesday.

City Chicken recipie

time to make 1¾ hours 35 min prep
    Change to: servings US Metric
    1 lb veal tenderloins, cut into 1-1/2 inch cubes
    1 lb pork tenderloins, cut into 1-1/2 inch cubes
    1 egg, beaten
    1/4 cup milk
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup saltines, medium crushed
    3 tablespoons oil
    3/4 cup chicken broth
    1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons water

Not the one? See other Grandma's City Chicken Recipes

* < 4 hours
    * Pork Loins
    * High Protein

1. Thread veal cubes onto 8 6-inch skewers, pushing pieces tightly together. In bowl, mix together the egg, milk, salt and pepper.
    2. Place cracker crumbs in zip lock baggie. Dip meat into egg mixture, then coat in cracker mixture.
    3. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the meat about 4 minutes until browned on all sides.
    4. Place chicken in glass baking dish.
    5. In small bowl, stir together the flour and water until smooth. Combine with broth and pour over chicken.
    6. Cover Chicken with foil and bake for approximately 1 hour. Remove foil for last 10 minutes.

2 lbs pork tenderloins, cut into 1 inch cubes
    2 lbs veal, cut into 1 inch cubes
    1 cup flour
    2 tablespoons grated pasta cheese
    1 clove garlic
    1 cup dry breadcrumbs [[omit cheese and garlic if using seasoned bread crumbs.)
    2 large eggs
    2 tablespoons chopped parsley
    2 cups chicken broth
    salt and pepper
    oil [[for browing meat)

Not the one? See other John's City Chicken Recipes

1. Place alternative pieces of pork and veal on wooden skewers until 6 pieces are used.
    2. Mix parsley into eggs.
    3. Roll meat into flour, then egg-parsley mixture and then breadcrumbs.
    4. Brown on all sides in hot oil.
    5. Place in large baking pan and add chicken broth.
    6. Cover and bake at 325º for 2 hours, basting occasionally.

7. Serve with mashed potatoes.

But shouldn't we be over in non-Detroit?

Nice start, I'm hungry now.

Stosh Guest

Should be in non Detroit bigb!

Can somebody shoot an email to Lowell ? To take this one off ? It's over on the other side. I waited awhile for it to load over here, before starting the other one. I having a problem jumping to the other forums. I'll try the tech section.

Let's not lose this, bumping from the bottom of page 4.

Oops, wrong thread! Sorry!
    Last edited by gazhekwe; May-07-09 at 05:46 PM.

Bump per Sumas.

7 up cake

Original Recipe Yield 1 - 12 cup bundt cake

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups butter
    • 3 cups white sugar
    • 5 eggs
    • 3 cups all-purpose flour
    • 2 teaspoons lemon extract
    • 3/4 cup lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage

Directions

1. Cream together the butter and sugar for 20 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time. Add flour, lemon extract and fold in the 7UP ™ soft drink.
    2. Pour into a well-greased 12 cup Bundt pan. Bake at 325 degrees F [[165 degrees C) for 60 to 75 minutes.

I just thought that this was needed at this time. I hope that this will be used!

The Happy food thread.

Ok...since everyone who has tasted it has asked for the recipe...here goes...this recipe will serve about 20. When I make it for the DYes picnic or any other party event, I at least double [[sometimes quadruple) everything...

SAND PAIL PUDDING

1 stick [[1/2 C) Butter - softened but NOT melted
    4 oz. cream cheese - softened
    1/2 C powdered sugar
    3.5 C Whole Milk
    2 - 3.4oz pkg INSTANT vanilla pudding
    12 oz cool whip
    1 pkg Pecan Sandies cookies
    1 kid's sand pail with shovel [[or serving bowl if pail is not available)

You will need 3 mixing bowls...small, medium & large

In small bowl, using a mixer, beat together butter, cream cheese and powdered sugar until fully blended.

In medium bowl, mix together milk and pudding until thoroughly mixed, then fold in cool whip. Use whisk or mixer.

In largest bowl, use mixer to add the ingredients from the small bowl and the medium bowl. Mix until thoroughly blended.

Put in refrigerator to partially set [[10 to 15 minutes ).

Crush the Pecan Sandies in a ZipLock bag while the pudding mix sets. They should look like sand when finished.

Using a kids sand pail, compote dish or any serving bowl, start with a layer of crushed cookies. Then add a layer of the pudding mix, dropping large spoonfuls and spreading gently, trying not to move the cookie layer. Alternate cookies and pudding. Final layer should be a light layer of cookies.

Optional:

Place gummy worms or fish or sea creatures on top.
    Dirt pudding is same recipe but using chocolate pudding and crushed Oreo cookies.

I have tried making a lower calorie/low sugar/low fat version of this using 2% milk, neufchatel cheese, margarine, sugar free pudding mix and sugar free Cool Whip. It's not bad...but not as yummy as the real stuff :-)

Enjoy!!

I always wondered why ketchup separate's and not BBQ sauce?
    I hope to bring Detroit Street food into this. Asian is good, but let's put Detroit on the YouTube map.

Boy, the stuff I've seen on YouTube as far as ingredients. Was that rice crispies or crab meat on that crepe?

I miss some of the food trucks, but not all, there's only so far you can go with chili fries and cheese.

Stir fry in a pita is great. A 14 hour old burger is not. But some of those 30yr. old butts that took your money were spot on. Just like L.A.

I have a cookbook called Renaissance Cuisine from St. John's Hospital [[might be available at John K. King), and I found this recipe:

Boiled Kielbasa & Kraut

3 lb. Kielbasa
    1-1 1/2 lbs. fresh Kraut
    4-5 Medium Whole Potatoes
    3-4 Whole Onions
    4-5 Cloves of Garlic, peeled [[but I use less-N&T)
    1 tsp. Oregano
    1 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
    2 tsp. Black Pepper

Put potatoes, onions, ad garlic in 2 qts. water. Boil for 20 minutes. Add kraut, kielbasa, seasoning, and boil at low flame for additional 30 minutes. Should be ready to serve.

"The Kielbasa & Kraut is a favorite of mine because it's a complete meal and can be stored and re-heated indefinitely. Best served with cornbread and buttermilk"-Coleman A. Young, Mayor of Detroit