Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Count Scary

Default Count Scary

Since we are getting close to Halloween, I found myself remembering this guy from the 80s. Who can ever forget this hometown favorite?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_Scary

DetroitDad Guest

80s!? Was his show that old? I remember him from the early/mid 90s.

Yeah, he was from the early to mid 80's. We were in high school, my sister and I were both Sir Graves Ghastly fans, and we thought Count Scary was kind of lame, so we called him Count Stupid. "ooooh, that's stoooopid"

Anybody remember " Morgus" ? I think he did the weather as a joke on Channel 2 late 60's.

I watched the Ghoul talking bout Parma Ohio, "Zingie Zingie Zingie"...and froggie too

Quote Originally Posted by n7hn View Post
    I watched the Ghoul talking bout Parma Ohio, "Zingie Zingie Zingie"...and froggie too
    Pluck that magic twanger, froggie

I feel a certain loyalty to Sir Graves Ghastly, but Count Scary was OK. I even picked up the 3-D glasses to watch the horrible televised 3-D horror pictures. He was a goofball ...

I loved Count Scary...EEEEwwww That's ssccaaarrryyy!!! He would have started on t.v. sometime before 1983, the year I got married. I remember our T.V. died in October of '83, and I made my husband go out and buy a new one so I could watch Count Scary. Remember his dancing by a pool...can't think of the song he was dancing to....in his Dracula costume and tennis shoes. Not sure I don't think he was on too many years after '83, maybe only one. Somebody mentioned Count Stupid, didn't he have an alter ego on the show called Count Stupid?
    Last edited by thewitz; October-20-10 at 07:46 AM.

Ah, memories. George Baier on the WRIF [[at the time) morning show making fun of Count Scary with his "Count Stupid" character. Count Scary was actually Tom Ryan from WOMC, wasn't it?

We had a house just west of U of D, me and a bunch of other guys [[and one girl) renting from a lady who lived in Southfield, and one halloween we hired The Ghoul to emcee a party. Truly a wonderful time, Ron was a gentleman and brought along much of his old entourage, this in the late '80s. The party ended up getting just a trifle out of control, as was our custom back in the day

Aw man. I loved this guy when I was a kid. Does anyone remember Charlie Lum [[pronounced Rum)?

Count Scary = Tom Ryan who used to be the afternoon drive time DJ on WOMC. Wonder where he is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    Yeah, he was from the early to mid 80's. We were in high school, my sister and I were both Sir Graves Ghastly fans, and we thought Count Scary was kind of lame, so we called him Count Stupid. "ooooh, that's stoooopid"

Count Scary was a rip-off of SCTV's Count Floyd. Count Floyd would say "ohh thats stooopid!" Perhaps thats where you got it from?

Tom Ryan did rip "Count Scary" off of Joe Flaherty's "Count Floyd" on SCTV. The original is still the greatest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9iIf4tFoyE

EastSider Guest

Speaking of Tom Ryan, anyone remember the "Hamtramck" tv spoof he tried to do? Channel 4 showed one episode, and the babcie almost stormed the station with their babushkas and brooms.

Rumor has it that there were more episodes filmed, but the station won't even admit they know what you're talking about.

And announcer at U of D home basketball games. Former Dick Purtan sidekick too.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    80s!? Was his show that old? I remember him from the early/mid 90s.
    Definitely 1980's

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...CountScary.jpg

fanniemae, George Noory from Art Bell's "Coast 2 Coast" worked @ WJBK then and had a hand in bringing Morgus here still has him on fairly often

Detroitplanner, I recall Tom Ryan copping @ the time that he ripped off "Count Floyd" from SCTV. You can rip off a show on tv for a comedy bit on the radio & it's no biggie, but when you take it to TV...now that's painful. And all the Detroit media pretending this guy invented sliced bread when the source material was on NBC Friday night @ 12:30 AM[[10 PM on the CBC if you preferred Channel 9) starring John Candy & Joe Flaherty[[who'd essay the SE Michigan father role in "Freaks & Geeks") is just a small illustration of local media's tunnel vision

Speaking of scary things and halloween, love watching this at this time of year

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Count Scary = Tom Ryan who used to be the afternoon drive time DJ on WOMC. Wonder where he is now.
    He is still in Detroit. East side.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Pluck that magic twanger, froggie
    Hi ya Hi ya Hi ya. Where's the Cheese Wiz!

None of these guys can hold a candle to.....

Quote Originally Posted by jbd441 View Post
    Hi ya Hi ya Hi ya. Where's the Cheese Wiz!
    Who stole the keiska?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seNElUWzEW4

Watch it and have the pants scared off of you!

Does anybody remember when Tom Ryan was the Sergeant Sacto character on channel 50 in the 1960s? A Mr. Spock-like character who did bits between the kids' shows in the afternoon.

Count Scary? Looks like Count Fruity Ass

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast