Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

DetroitDad Guest

Default Just took a cycle rickshaw home from work

OMG.... I just took one of those cycle rickshaws home from work [[about ten minutes ago). NEVER AGAIN!

We started just fine, with the rickshaw cruising down Woodward Avenue. Eventually we came to the grand circus in front of the Fox and Fillmore theaters, both with shows this evening. We weaved in and out of traffic, hitting some cones, and had a near miss with the back of a bus. I have been bungee jumping, on roller coaster marathons, and off road-ing, but THAT truly scared me.

Were you driving it?

Do they make you sign a liability waiver form or is it just assumed that you're riding at your own risk?

I'd have a hard time letting someone transport me in one of those things down an empty street. With cars all around, no chance in hell.

You do hope the operator has some sense of self preservation, that's for sure.

DetroitDad Guest

No waiver. He offered me a ride for $10. I said; "no way". He said; "$5". I told him I wasn't going that far. Finally he told me $2.50. I gave him three [[no change), and planned on giving him a tip.

He told me thats how they did it in New York, apparently where he spent some time.

Never ridden in a Manhattan cab have you?

Never ridden a scooter in Detroit have you?
    8-)

Go Scooters!

No, in all seriousness, scooters are pretty cool. Nice name, kid.

9mile&seneca Guest

Ya know, 9 out of ten cycle rickshaw businesses go broke the first year...

There is a great business opportunity here.

Someone start a cycle rickshaw company that accepts whatever payment the rider thinks they deserve.

Public radio-style.

Put it out there...I'd bet overall they get WAY more cash and even build up regular customers, who may need a free ride out of the rain or snow one day but can pay double on others.

Do these things have suspensions? They need to, because the tires really need to be pressurized for least rolling resistance, since the driver really doesn't need to have additional resistance with today's American fatties.

What IS the weight limit on these things?! [[they should have some form of wheelchair access...who wants to engineer that?)

I'm just the idea guy, someone's got to run with these...might be the one in ten that survives and turns downtown Detroit into something really special.

Cheers

DetroitDad Guest

EVERYBODY is an idea guy [[or gal) Gannon, what matters is our ability to turn ideas into reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

Someone start a cycle rickshaw company that accepts whatever payment the rider thinks they deserve.

Public radio-style.

Put it out there...I'd bet overall they get WAY more cash and even build up regular customers, who may need a free ride out of the rain or snow one day but can pay double on others.

Do these things have suspensions? They need to, because the tires really need to be pressurized for least rolling resistance, since the driver really doesn't need to have additional resistance with today's American fatties.

What IS the weight limit on these things?! [[they should have some form of wheelchair access...who wants to engineer that?)

I'm just the idea guy, someone's got to run with these...might be the one in ten that survives and turns downtown Detroit into something really special.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

Public radio-style.

Cheers
    I think it's great too. There's alot of them that allow their customers to pick a price...within reason. And I saw one once give an elderly couple a complimentary ride. I think many of these cyclists enjoy it.