Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Sister Wives

LodgeDodger Guest

Default Sister Wives

Is anyone watching this series on cable? I've never watched anything so strange in my life. A question that I have about the polygamist lifestyle is how can the guy be married to more than one woman? Are the "marriages" after the first just a social contract?

What are your thoughts on this series and the concept of "plural marriage"? Me? betterhalf is my one and only. There's no way I'm "Christian" enough to share him. ;-)

In native culture, the concept of sister wives was common. There were more women than men, so it worked to have a man supporting more than one family. More women also meant more food supplies and help with producing clothing and shelter. The man was the hunter and protector. The women were the growers and gatherers. Children were shared family members. If something happened to one wife, the family could continue to exist. In that sense, sister wives make a lot of sense.

In this culture,.however, polygyny is illegal. End of story.

Yucky

Isn't it odd to have yet another television show with such a taboo minority viewpoint...is Big Love still on HBO?!

I merely see the biological mathematics supporting such an arrangement, but like many imbalances in life...our emotional and logical selves cannot seem to get past our programming restrictions.

More mores...sigh. How often do they restrict spiritual flow, if they hinder mere physical action?!

Joseph Smith and Brigham Young didn't have any problem with it.

.Brigham Young actually did have a problem with plural marriage, accepting it with great reluctance. He said upon learning of plural marriage: "It was the first time in my life that I desired the grave."

He did eventually take 55 wives, six of whom were married to other men at the time, and he divorced ten of his wives. They each had their own private quarters in his huge house.

Smith had an unknown number of wives, several of whom were married to other men. Some of these he compelled to live with their original husbands. He was murdered by an anti-Mormon mob.

James [[King) Strang of Beaver Island, the only crowned king to reign inside the US, made a lot of enemies from his dogma and polygynous practices. He was murdered by anti-Mormons as well.

So, they might have existed with polygyny and polyandry, but they got into considerable trouble and two even died for it. Bottom Line: If it is illegal, it will not be supported in the community, and therefore, why even consider it?

as far as the show goes, Its enjoyable looking in. I can see how it seems to work for them. Personally I cant maintain even one relationship..... So I cant tell If Im creeped out or just jealous.

The Browns are under investigation as a result of the show. Legalities of the marriages and investigation into income to verify if there are any welfare/public assistance being recieved.