Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Growing up in the Northwest Side....

Does anyone of this forum grew up and went to the Detroit's Northwest side just to hang out with your friends and family? What Street did you all live? How was your NW Detroit look like back in you day? How does the Detroit Public Buildings look like back in your days. Did you all good times or bad times? If Detroit was beautiful booming city today, will you all stay? Any thoughts.

I will start off that I have grew up in at 16210 Lawton St. north of Puritan St. east of Livernois St. to the border to Highland Park, MI. from 1977 to 1985. My sub-division was Martin Park, next to Pilgrim Village, University Homes and Palmer Park. University of Detroit Mercy was just 5 blocks away. I can hear the chimes of the old Uof D Clock Tower ringing every hour. I'm not that far for my Aunt Shirley's House who lived on the next block. I used to go her house and spend a night and play with my older cousins. There used to be resturants, barber shops party good stores and supermarkets in every corner. There's even a Jewish Synagogue called Temple Israel on the 17400 Manderson St. near Pontchartrain. My mom and I used to go the Avenue of Fashion on Livernois W. 7 Mile Rd. to buy and goodies. My dad and my Cousins used to take me to Palmer Park to play. I have a lot of found memories there and in my old neighborhood. Later when I return to my old block some of them homes are still in tact and while the rest like Pilgrim Village is turining to crack infested area. Highland Park was WORST all the way to to McNichols where the rich folks of Palmer Park used to live. My Aunt move away, fewer neighbors that I knew either died and moved away. Temple Israel was moved to Farmington Hills and the rest of Palmer Park Apts. became homosexual/drug infested mess. My old school hood was once an 'Garden of Eden' paradise to me and family and friends now a desert of hopelessness. I miss my old home at 16210 Lawton St. I hope someone takes care of it.

Guilty as charged.

I lived on Winthrop one block from Grand River and Greenfield from 1951 to 1974 and then on the Southfield service drive [[1974-1978) between Grand River/Fenkell and Puritan.
    Up and till the riots things were dunky dory and then things changed. Old neighbors moved out and riff raff moved in. It had been like the United Nations in the old days.
    Strong family values and people who looked after each other.
    My parents and house were robbed. Hell, even the outside Christmas lights were stolen.
    Had my duplex on Southfield broken into and decided it was no place to raise a newborn. Moved out to where my job was in Royal Oak and never regretted it.
    Just look at corner of Grand River and Greenfield now. Says it all.
    Even our old black neighbors want out.

Danny by any chance did you know a girl that lived on Lawton named Kim Brown? She went to some private school [[I think St Mary's at Redford) and graduated in 1982. She lived about the same spot that you described a few blocks behind U of D.

I lived further west on Strathmoor right off of Eight mile and I went to Mumford and graduated in 81. We moved to the northwest side in 1976 when I was 13. Palmer Park was the thing to do in that area. I remember when you used to drive through Palmer Woods security would stop you. We also used go Northland Mall, the Westside drive-in and the Mecury theater on Schaefer.

Sorry to hear about the homosexuals in you your neighborhood.

My memories of the area.

Never lived there, always lived in Farmington Township, on the "farm" side.My parents, well until '57 my dad worked at Pfeiffer's on the east side, left during the strike to go to an independent beer distributor on Lyndon and Indiana. Mom worked at Ma Bell,in the 'burbs'

Shopping at Grand River/Greenfield was to me in the 50's and 60's amazing. You could actually walk to a store. Saturday mornings we would go to his work, still remember the route, Grand River to Montrose, turn right two blocks or so to Greenfield, turn left to Lyndon, turn right. Past the Michigan Consolidated gas storage tank. Go to his work, for lunch either Corned Beef sandwiches from a deli on Dexter or the Red Devil on Fenkell. Stop and shop at Federal's or Ward's, go home.

Later in life, had a girlfirend on Marlowe, dated for a while in late 69 to early 70. Still a nice area at that time. Lot of activity, Saturday morinigs the vehicle and foot traffic was amazing to me. On thing still stands out in my mind of one day a DPD motor officer and I had a impromptu contest of speed, he on a DPD Harley, me on a 67 BSA, Beezer dusted him off. He challenged me east bount towards Whitcomb. I turned on Marlowe, he waved and continued east.

I applied in 71 for a job at Glenn Pontiac, but while I had a tentative ok, the dealership was being sold to Porterfield Wilson, everything was put on hold. Found employment at Packer Pontiac on Livenois, went there for a year until no raises that were promised came through. Making 2.50 an hour [[back in '72) a job was ofered in Livonia,for 3.00 an hour, I jumped.

Yep, those were the end of the good old days for that area. They're are trying
    to get it together but it's an uphill battle with unemployment and crime problem
    around there now.
    Too many boarded up houses starting to creep in.

I lived at 19499 Littlefield, between Vassar and St Martins. I can't begin to describe how great that area was. On that particular block the houses to this date look fantastic, neighborhood has really held up well. The Seven Mile shopping district is a different story, it's gone completely downhill.

I wouldn't trade growing up in that area for anywhere else in the world.

For those eager to discuss nostalgia, who are also on Facebook, please consider this your open invitation to join The Ol' Neighborhood 48227/48228 group on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=247590962151

12719 Greenlawn. My first eight years, '51-'60. Survived a house fire, rescued by the milkman, Dad? went to Noble Elementary and St. Brigid's

19432 Shaftsbury. Next ten years, '60-'71. went to Pitcher Elementary, Mettetal Jr. High and Henry Ford High School and St. Gerard's

18425 Winston. lived there 23 years, '83-'2006. I happened to live thru the full arc of Detroit inside the City.

Eno, back in 84 I played in a band for a while, our singer lived on Winston, we always practiced there. There was another guy who lived there who played in another band. It was maybe 2 or 3 blocks north of 7 Mile, don't remember exactly where, it was on the east side of the street right across from a school. Gotta be pretty close to where you lived on Winston, judging from your address. I remember playing CYO basketball against St Gerards at their gym in 72 or 73 when I was in 7th grade [[I went to St Marys of Redford), one of the few bus trips we took.

whenever I read stories like these, I can't help but feel somewhat robbed ! I lived in the Plymouth/ Southfield area until 1997 [[came to college) and these neighborhoods were nothing like this ! I personally wouldn't have loved nothing more than to do some nice shopping 5-10 minutes from my home. In all honestly I would love to simply have the memories that you all have !

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    Eno, back in 84 I played in a band for a while, our singer lived on Winston, we always practiced there. There was another guy who lived there who played in another band. It was maybe 2 or 3 blocks north of 7 Mile, don't remember exactly where, it was on the east side of the street right across from a school. Gotta be pretty close to where you lived on Winston, judging from your address. I remember playing CYO basketball against St Gerards at their gym in 72 or 73 when I was in 7th grade [[I went to St Marys of Redford), one of the few bus trips we took.
    18425 Winston is just north of Pickford, south of Grand River. Did you ever go or play at the Ranch on Telegraph, on the east side south of Fenkell. What was the name of that country music club on the southwest corner of Telegraph and GR?

I only went to St. Gerard's for catechism and days of obligation.

Quote Originally Posted by upinnair View Post
    Danny by any chance did you know a girl that lived on Lawton named Kim Brown? She went to some private school [[I think St Mary's at Redford) and graduated in 1982. She lived about the same spot that you described a few blocks behind U of D.

I lived further west on Strathmoor right off of Eight mile and I went to Mumford and graduated in 81. We moved to the northwest side in 1976 when I was 13. Palmer Park was the thing to do in that area. I remember when you used to drive through Palmer Woods security would stop you. We also used go Northland Mall, the Westside drive-in and the Mecury theater on Schaefer.
    Up,

I am related through marriage with a family from St. Mary's, and my cousins went there as well at that time. I was a St. Alphonsus boy myself, 1981. I'll try to remember to ask them this week.

I cannot post on this thread though, because I've never grown up. I did spend a bit of my formative years around Tireman, between Wyoming and Schaefer. Memories are vague, but they are returning in force. THAT is a long story and too much for this thread to bear.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    What was the name of that country music club on the southwest corner of Telegraph and GR?
    Peter Angel's was a big band type nightclub for years, 'went country' in its last years, maybe from mid 70's to mid 80's. Then that bar went through several formats and names until that corner and all the nearby houses was bought by Walgreen

I little bit. My parents know about her. I was a little 5 year old tot.

The most flight from Detroit to other places is not just on white flight , black flight or ethnic flight. It's middle class flight.

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    18425 Winston is just north of Pickford, south of Grand River. Did you ever go or play at the Ranch on Telegraph, on the east side south of Fenkell. What was the name of that country music club on the southwest corner of Telegraph and GR?.
    We only played a couple of parties, that was it, then I had to quit because of work. We were supposed to play at Blondies one time but didn't for some reason. In 6 months I think we had 3 difrerent bass players, 2 differetn drummers and 2 different 2nd guitar players! I did go to the Ranch a bit back in those days, as well as that Sports bar at the SE corner of I-96 and Telegraph whose name escapes me. And of course the 24 Carat and West Side Six. Don't remember that country place, but pretty sure I wouldn't have gone there. I was strictly a rock and roll guy.

You and me both. I went to the country music club, The Barn? maybe, on a date, her choice. Small world tho', the couple who bought my parents' home on Greenlawn were there.

If you went to St. Mary's, perhaps you knew the Perrys, Mike and Jim, and a few more.

Did you happen to see Kraftwerk at Nitro's? It was better known as Uncle Sam's for a while as a disco.

Default Wets siders

Quote Originally Posted by SMRJim View Post
    I believe the school on Winston that you are referring to was once called "Burgess Elementary", later on it was something else.
    I was there for grades 1-6 and grew up on Salem, a few streets to the west.
    I went to Taft for Junior High and the now closed St. Agatha's for High school.
    I still visit the area now and then for nostalgic purposes. Plus a couple of friends still live there.
    With that said, I was so glad we lived on the west side instead of the east side.
    The east side to me was a big suburban clusterbleep, while the west side offered more open spaces, freedom and maybe a better class of people.

Quote Originally Posted by jefferson78 View Post
    I believe the school on Winston that you are referring to was once called "Burgess Elementary", later on it was something else.
    I was there for grades 1-6 and grew up on Salem, a few streets to the west.
    Burgess became Detroit Open School, a charter type school before all the cyharter schools were created.
    Alot of the students were from Rosedale Park area- their parents were committed to sending the kids to public schools.

Earl Perry was in our SMR class of 1969.
    He hung out with Ernie MacInnis among others.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Earl Perry was in our SMR class of 1969.
    He hung out with Ernie MacInnis among others.
    I only know of the two brothers Jim and Mike Perry. There may have been others in the family but I don't know their names.

Back in the 90's I remember going to that Country Bar on GR/Telegraph. At the time it was Hillary's Country Corner.It had been a few different names while I noticed it was there. Northwest Detroit was the last stop on my family's exit to the Burbs. 19318 Pierson was my Grandparents house. My Grandpa didn't wanna leave back in the winter of 1987, But with 5 daughters and his wife nagging him, He moved to the house in Garden City my Father bought in 55 cause he could hunt in Nankin Twp.
    I was bittersweet with that move as that house on Pierson was pretty much my weekend and summer home. I played in the yard,learned to change oil, had my first chance at helping roof a garage.
    So many memories of that neighborhood,It was like I had two homes, One in GC and the other in Detroit.
    Bob's Pizza Palace, Venettes Pizza Box, G&R Bike Shop, Heyden Drugs to name a few.All in that area.And folks that was just my Mom's Parents place. I miss my Dad's folks house also. And the Warrendale party house.

Default Lawton street.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I little bit. My parents know about her. I was a little 5 year old tot.
    Kim was pretty cool. She had about four brothers and her mother loved me. The summer of '81 I used to hang out in that area with Kim and just about everyone in that neighborhood was so laid back. I believe we even went over Gladys Knight's son's house somewhere in that area. Man, talk about some fun times.

Hard to believe that was almost thirty years ago.

Thanks for the memories,

Up

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast