Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

DetroitDad Guest

Default Underground Crosswalks

Does anyone have any information about what appears to be underground crosswalks in or around Highland Park?

The first one I came across today was at 2nd Avenue and Pilgrim, while the other was at John R and Candler Street.

What sort of information did you want?

The one at Second and Pilgrim has been there for at least 45 years, probably longer, and was to help kids get across the street to the Ford school back before they switched Second to two-way traffic in Highland Park and there was actually a lot of traffic. I went by it a couple of months ago and it appeared to be closed off.

Never noticed the other one; that's not a place I go much.

There was an old video floating around somewhere...I think on traffic safety way back in the day that showed one of Detroit's underground subway passages. Obviously used to keep children safe when crossing before and after school. Unfortunately in this day and age, quite the opposite effect. Cities everywhere are closing these things down.

Peterboro and Cass in front of what would become the Burton International School

There used to be one in Capital Park, a long time ago.

The caption says it is the 1940's but I think it is the '30s as this is before they put in that fugly bus station and moved The Boy Governor.

The John R - Candler subway [[yes, that's what they were called around here) was there to get kids to St. Benedict's school [[now North Pointe Academy) on the other side of John R.

Under Grand Boulevard at the Packard Plant.

The one connecting Fisher and old GM HQ under Grand Boulevard is still open, TTBOMK.

Dabirch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The John R - Candler subway [[yes, that's what they were called around here) was there to get kids to St. Benedict's school [[now North Pointe Academy) on the other side of John R.
    My dad took that "subway" every school day of his life...

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Under Grand Boulevard at the Packard Plant.

The one connecting Fisher and old GM HQ under Grand Boulevard is still open, TTBOMK.
    It's open, just not every day. Same with the Kahn building-Fisher building corridor.

Thanks for asking, DetroitDad. I bike past these and wondered about them, too.

Just doing a little research on this and came up with what looks like the 1916 plans for a sub-way system in Detroit...

http://books.google.com/books?id=Yj4...page&q&f=false

DetroitDad Guest

Yes, off topic, but still interesting. I will have to read that report this week. It is my understanding [[through unsubstantiated rumor) that at least part of the Detroit Subway System was actually constructed, in some part, and remains sealed off and abandoned.

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    Just doing a little research on this and came up with what looks like the 1916 plans for a sub-way system in Detroit...

http://books.google.com/books?id=Yj4...page&q&f=false

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Yes, off topic, but still interesting. I will have to read that report this week. It is my understanding [[through unsubstantiated rumor) that at least part of the Detroit Subway System was actually constructed, in some part, and remains sealed off and abandoned.
    You know what, if you read the plans it looked like they planned a line to go up Van Dyke.

I remember several years ago they where doing some construction work at 7 Mile and Van Dyke, and had the street opened to expose a big underground tunnel that I believe is now being used to run utilities.

I wonder if that was part of the proposed subway system?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I lived in Highland park in the 40's, 50's, and 60's and used the pedestrian tunnels many times. I have never heard them called "subways" until now.