Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Houston-Whittier

Enjoyed a hearty down home cooked breakfast [[giant stuffed with vegetables including broccolli omellete) great price, huge portions at 8 mile Pancake House. When I left I decided to take a cruise down Gratiot, when I came up on Houston-Whittier I realized Ive never been down that street so I decided to exlplore. Despite the numerous dilapidated-graffiti riddled houses, the strip seemed to be, for the most part, clean. There were a couple of historical looking apartment buildings, and most of the landscaping on homes, occupied or desolate was up to par.Cafes, party stores and auto-repair shops dotted the street.

At one point I had to do a quick U- turn, to witness what appeared to be a half-assed fist fight, most of the wild punches missing their mark. I scooted back toward Gratiot, glanced down a side street and seen about 7 cop cars in front of a residence, I waved to stop a freindly cop that was headed in the direction of the cop cars and where the fight was, I notified him about the fist fight, turned on Chalmers, then Harper where a working girl, crossing the street flashed me her large breasts lol...lot of excitement in a short period of time.

Anyone have any stories to share about the Houston Whittier area? History...when did the neighborhood change....ethnic groups..was it working or middle class etc...

I lived a little south of there @ Gunston and Gratiot, but I'm familiar with the Gratiot corridor. I remember the fire station, the xxx theatre @ Westphalia, Ray's party store, a lot of car lots, and a lot more from that area. Looks like Afghanistan now. My parents @ I went shopping @ 7/Gratiot all the time. I don't mean to be a downer- but it ain't comin' back. If your car broke down on Gratiot, you'd be in serious trouble. It dosen't make me sad, but mad to see this.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FerndaleDamon View Post
    I lived a little south of there @ Gunston and Gratiot, but I'm familiar with the Gratiot corridor. I remember the fire station, the xxx theatre @ Westphalia, Ray's party store, a lot of car lots, and a lot more from that area. Looks like Afghanistan now. My parents @ I went shopping @ 7/Gratiot all the time. I don't mean to be a downer- but it ain't comin' back. If your car broke down on Gratiot, you'd be in serious trouble. It dosen't make me sad, but mad to see this.

That would be the Guild Theatre. The Firehouse is the busiest in the U.S.

I lived on Rochelle, about three blocks north of Houston Whittier.
    I remember when the area had a lot of businesses like Kressges, Chatham, Cunninghams, etc.
    It was a cool place to grow up in the '70's.

There was an Ace Hardware on the corner of Houston Whittier snd Chalmers, and across the street was a huge A&P, and Chatham was just a block down Kelly, I think.

I remember a restaurant named Milroy's, and they served fish. You could tell it was Friday by all the people lined up to get fish. This was pre Vatican II. If you were Catholic, it was THE LAW that you had to have fish on friday; eat it, or go to hell.

I also remember Damman Hardware about 1/4 mile north of of Chatham. If they didnt have it, you didnt need it.

Thanks for bringing back some of the pleasant memories of that area.

There are many memories of Houston-Whittier from the thread of St. Jude Nostalgia. As for me, my best memories of that area were when I graduated from Denby in 75, and the hangout was Pat O'Grady's. Those were the days. Also, remembering all the times of bowling at Denby Lanes. Used to go to the Ace Hardware further down Whittier. There has to be alot of Guardian Angels people out there who can add more than me.

[quote=eastsider4life;191263]There was an Ace Hardware on the corner of Houston Whittier snd Chalmers, and across the street was a huge A&P, and Chatham was just a block down Kelly, I think.

I remember a restaurant named Milroy's, and they served fish. You could tell it was Friday by all the people lined up to get fish. This was pre Vatican II. If you were Catholic, it was THE LAW that you had to have fish on friday; eat it, or go to hell.

I also remember Damman Hardware about 1/4 mile north of of Chatham. If they didnt have it, you didnt need it.

Damman Hardware - I remember having to have a note from my mother to buy model glue to make models of cars, etc. They had everything there - hated to see them move.

Quote Originally Posted by eastsider4life View Post
    There was an Ace Hardware on the corner of Houston Whittier snd Chalmers, and across the street was a huge A&P, and Chatham was just a block down Kelly, I think.

You didn't have to have fish; just not meat. So eggs, cheese, fish, beans were all good.

I remember the Hardee's restaurant just off the corner of Houston-Whittier and Gratiot. I liked their charbroiled burgers which were similar to BK's whoppers, but had a sauce that was more like that of a Big Mac. There's a Hardee's in Hazel Park but the burgers aren't made the same.

Quote Originally Posted by eastsider4life View Post

Actually the ACE hardware was at Houston-Whittier and Hayes, Chalmers is to the west of there.
    And the Damman Hardware was SOUTH of the Chatham on Hayes near Harper.
    Anyone else remember that little shoe repair shop that was behind the Kowalski Deli?