Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Benson for Sec. of State

Well- if not over-qualified for the job.
    http://www.votebenson.com/

I've met her and she's most impressive. She's the first person I voted for.

Community leafletters don't cut it with me.

Some of her positions also leave to be desired.

For example:

I'm against this first one for two reasons.

First, when I'm in a SOS Office taking care of business, I don't want to be held up by having the clerk asking every Tom, Dick and Harry whether or not they want to sign up to vote. I doubt most people would disagree with that.

Second, voting is an important responsibility. If someone won't take the time to educate themselves about how to sign up, I'd hate to find out how little they know about what is actually on the ballot when it comes time to vote.

Increased
    collaboration
    with voter registration drives?

Do we need this to happen in Michigan?

Finally online voter registration...I mentioned above that voting is an important responsibility. Creating a process where someone can sign up to vote [[several times), is as easy as posting on this board, should be disconcerting to people who want to have honest elections.

The current process works fine as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by MCP-001 View Post

For example:

First, when I'm in a SOS Office taking care of business, I don't want to be held up by having the clerk asking every Tom, Dick and Harry whether or not they want to sign up to vote. I doubt most people would disagree with that.

Second, voting is an important responsibility. If someone won't take the time to educate themselves about how to sign up, I'd hate to find out how little they know about what is actually on the ballot when it comes time to vote.

Increased
    collaboration
    with voter registration drives?

Finally online voter registration...I mentioned above that voting is an important responsibility. Creating a process where someone can sign up to vote [[several times), is as easy as posting on this board, should be disconcerting to people who want to have honest elections.

Right, I think we need to inhibit the rabble from being easily able to vote. Could be dangerous.

voting is an important responsibility. If someone won't take the time to educate themselves about how to sign up, I'd hate to find out how little they know about what is actually on the ballot when it comes time to vote.
    -~ Spot. On. ~-

the sos has been registering voters for at least a dozen yrs, so before you get all funkified you should cross that complaint off your list.

Personally I am no fan of Ruth Johnson. A serial office jumper who has not proven herself to be a capable administrator. Her way into the Oakland County Clerk's office was far from honorable. During her election in 2006 she directly questioned if Bill Cauldel [[sp) ever performed late term abortions...?! She had that rumor thrown out there by a PAC that is funded by her husband. True. Cauldel was a chiropractor 20 years ago.

Once she was elected, long time staff retired enmass due to her behavior and in-offfice rants.

I'm a republican, not a character asassian, Ruth Johnson will not get my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    the sos has been registering voters for at least a dozen yrs, so before you get all funkified you should cross that complaint off your list.
    Voting is an important responsibility. If someone won't take the time to educate themselves that the sos has been signing up voters for a dozen years, I'd hate to find out how little they know about what is actually on the ballot when it comes time to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    They haven't been registering voters "automatically" when they renew their licenses.

In the Richard Austin reign folks could be registered to vote in multiple precincts. I know because I was registered to vote in three different cities, not due to any plan to deceive, just by moving around.

They currently ask you if you want to register to vote, there is no 'automatically' to it. In Michigan you don't have to be a citizen to get a DI, or State ID, but you have to be a citizen to vote. That is nt going to change unless the US Constitution changes. I seriously doubt Ms. Benson is now, or at any time in the future, will be powerful enough to do that.

Unless I misnderstand the question here; the "issue" with Benson's plan is passe. Pick something else.

DetroitPole Guest

For example:

Increased collaboration with voter registration drives?

You're right. In fact, I think there should be a literacy test, because we don't want idiots electing idiots. A small poll tax would be in order too, so they're not just rounding up bums to get out the vote. One should hold private property too, since they're the ones with a stake in the community.

Oh, yeah, and only white males.

How people are opposed to increased registration is a mystery to me, other than they are Republicans, and the more people voting, the less Republicans win. Says a lot, really.

Benson absolutely has my vote. She is impeccably qualified and Ruth Johnson doesn't seem like a savory character at all. Even if this were a strictly non-partisan office, Benson is the obvious choice.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith View Post
    -~ Spot. On. ~-
    Sez the tea partier. Ignorance is bliss.

Benson is receiving substantial out-of-state financial backing for her campaign, including big $$$$ from George Soros' "Secretary of State Project". To qualify for that money, candidates must support "Election Day Voter Registration" and oppose the use of Photo ID at the polls.

Having worked as a precinct poll challenger, I've observed firsthand the need for photo IDs to prevent multiple voting by the same person and I also feel that deadlines are necessary to run a fair election - election candidates are subject to a filing deadline and is not unfair to require voters to be subject to a registration deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Benson is receiving substantial out-of-state financial backing for her campaign, including big $$$$ from George Soros' "Secretary of State Project". To qualify for that money, candidates must support "Election Day Voter Registration" and oppose the use of Photo ID at the polls.
    Thanks to the right-wing Supreme Court, it's now OK to have foreign countries contribute to political causes, so out of state aid is really no big deal.

.... so out of state aid is really no big deal.
    Why can't she get financial campaign support from those who live here? Did Soros also cover her moving expenses?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    You're right. In fact, I think there should be a literacy test, because we don't want idiots electing idiots. A small poll tax would be in order too, so they're not just rounding up bums to get out the vote. One should hold private property too, since they're the ones with a stake in the community.

Oh, yeah, and only white males.

How people are opposed to increased registration is a mystery to me, other than they are Republicans, and the more people voting, the less Republicans win. Says a lot, really.

Benson absolutely has my vote. She is impeccably qualified and Ruth Johnson doesn't seem like a savory character at all. Even if this were a strictly non-partisan office, Benson is the obvious choice.
    Reading comprehension is again at an all-time high here on the DetroitYES Forum.

DetroitPole, you've just proven my point with your post [[Here's a hint: Johnson & Benson aren't the only candidates on that ballot).

When you want to grow up and talk with the big people here, feel free to come on back. Jumping to conclusions and putting words into other people's mouths does not help your side.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    Right, I think we need to inhibit the rabble from being easily able to vote. Could be dangerous.
    How difficulty is it really to go down to the Clerk's Office and sign up?

Having worked as a precinct poll challenger, I've observed firsthand the need for photo IDs to prevent multiple voting by the same person and I also feel that deadlines are necessary to run a fair election - election candidates are subject to a filing deadline and is not unfair to require voters to be subject to a registration deadline.
    Why is George Soros always brought up like he's a bad guy? I'm not voicing my opinion when I ask, I'm just curious.

How difficulty is it really to go down to the Clerk's Office and sign up?
    Quite, when you're working class 8+ hour days paycheck to paycheck. Maybe you never were?

Clerks office is 9-5 M-F, at least the SoS has some Saturday hours, although not very accessible to all.

Benson has done her homework, learned what needs to be done and is ready to be Secretary of State. A very thoughtful, qualified candidate.

Voting should be easier, not more difficult.

Why am I not surprised that Mikeg is a poll challenger?!

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Sez the tea partier. Ignorance is bliss.
    so says the cheerleader for a sinking ship.

Your boy is making some headway though--

Polls had him down 21.6 now he is only down 20--Go get em Virg!!!!

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    so says the cheerleader for a sinking ship.

Your boy is making some headway though--

Polls had him down 21.6 now he is only down 20--Go get em Virg!!!!
    Yes, it's sinking all right. But you are on board too pal. Or maybe not, come to think of it. Maybe you are on the lifeboats cheering on the Titanic. And we now are poised to elect a Captain Snyder to put C4 charges in the hull and detonate them.

Why am I not surprised that Mikeg is a poll challenger?!
    Probably because the content and quality of my past posts have made you aware that I have a wide and varied set of real-world interests and experiences!

Back on point, you make the act of participating as a "poll challenger" sound so sinister - as if their role is to challenge or intimidate individual voters from voting, when in fact they are prohibited from even talking to a voter. Poll challengers may only talk to the municipal precinct workers and they cannot prevent a voter from casting a ballot. The role of poll challenger is precisely spelled out in state law and is vital to insuring that the election process at the precinct level is conducted openly and fairly:
    Both parties will have poll challengers who can question the validity of such things as a voter's registration, and poll watchers, who will call headquarters throughout the day with updates on who has voted so their names can be taken off call lists.
    Challengers are issued special credentials that allow them to stand behind election inspectors, examine voting equipment, observe voters, inspect registration rolls and voter applications, and look at ballots as they are counted.
    Challengers, who will talk only to precinct workers, also can challenge a voter's right to cast a ballot. The ballots they challenge could be integral to recounts or other postelection legal issues.
    The Michigan Election Law, MCL 168.1 et seq; MSA 6.1001 et seq, governs the various aspects of the entire voting and election process. The Michigan Election Law specifically provides for the presence of individual "challengers" during the electoral process and defines their qualifications, rights and responsibilities. MCL 168.730 et seq; MSA 6.1730 et seq. The right of various organizations to have election challengers present at the polls is set forth in MCL 168.730; MSA 6.1730:
    "At every election, each of the political parties and any incorporated organization or organized committee of citizens interested in the adoption or defeat of any measure to be voted for or upon at such election, or interested in preserving the purity of elections and in guarding against the abuse of the elective franchise, may designate challengers as herein provided...."
    Challengers have a right to be present in a designated area in the voting place. MCL 168.734; MSA 6.1734. Further, a challenger has the right to look at poll books and other materials utilized by the precinct inspectors. MCL 168.733; MSA 6.1733. A challenger also has the right to challenge an elector's voting qualifications and the procedures being followed by the precinct inspectors. MCL 168.733; MSA 6.1733.
    The last time I served as a poll challenger, I observed my fellow Democrat poll challenger with both of his hands in the ballot box touching cast ballots - with the tacit approval of the precinct worker after he had unlocked it to clear a jam! Without more than one poll challenger at a precinct, who knows what kind of funny stuff goes on?

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by partyhardy View Post
    Why is George Soros always brought up like he's a bad guy? I'm not voicing my opinion when I ask, I'm just curious.
    Probably for the same reason that Rupert Murdoch and Fox are brought up in the same manner. George Soros is a billionaire who spends his own money to promote causes and candidates that he supports. It is perfectly fine to do so just as it is perfectly fine for Rupert Murdoch to do the same.
    Last edited by DC48080; October-20-10 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Typographical error due to crappy I-phone "keyboard".

Back on point, you make the act of participating as a "poll challenger" sound so sinister - as if their role is to challenge or intimidate individual voters from voting, when in fact they are prohibited from even talking to a voter.
    That is not always the case, as evident in Hamtramck during elections in recent years. When running for office two years ago, I witnessed those shenanigans first hand with poll challengers repeatedly harassed people of certain ethnic backgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Quite, when you're working class 8+ hour days paycheck to paycheck. Maybe you never were?

Clerks office is 9-5 M-F, at least the SoS has some Saturday hours, although not very accessible to all.
    I did it on my lunch hour w/o much problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast