Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Get out and Vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today is election day. Go vote. Even if you don't like either candidate, go vote. There are other issues on the ballot, go vote. Everyone wants change from business as usual. A much higher than expected turnout would be a great place to start. Please, go vote.

KEN COCKEREL FOR MAYOR! The Kilpatrick party years are over. Bing, go back to your business.

Don't forget to vote for Monica Conyers as a write in for mayor.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    Don't forget to vote for Monica Conyers as a write in for mayor.
    LMAO. Okay I take it back, everyone vote except Izzy. Just kidding, I'm not going to tell anyone who to vote for, I just hope that you vote so we'll have a decent turnout. Don't forget, the question of whether there will be a charter commission to even propose a new charter is on the ballot as well. Possibly electing Council by district, removal of an elected official, filling a vacancy of an elected official that won't cost the city at least 3 million dollars along with a number of other issues can't be addressed if the residents don't vote to have a charter commission put in place. And, if you don't want a change in the Charter, you need to vote in opposition of a new charter commission. Whatever your opinion, get out there and cast your vote.

I was voter number 16 in my precinct.

I voted at 10:00am and was ballet # 66

I'm going to vote when I go to lunch.

number 80 at 10:45

A write-in for Monica would probably take more votes away from Cockrel... so vote your conscience!

Just imagine what the city could get done if Monica was mayor and Ken was reverted back to council prez.

155 at my precinct at about 12:30 pm

Get out and vote!*

* If you're an intelligent voter. If you're the type that votes for Conyers, Reeves or BRC, please stay home and watch the judge shows today.

Why did Ken where his shirt in the polling place? I'm sure that is illegal and wasn't that an issue for the primary? I just don't understand what you have to do to inforce the 100' rule?

Just image if Cockrel and Conyers remain in office what will get down. Status quo, nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    KEN COCKEREL FOR MAYOR! The Kilpatrick party years are over. Bing, go back to your business.
    First, you might want to learn how to spell the name of the person whose candidacy you are emphatically advocating.

Second, the "Kilpatrick party years" required a City Council that was willing to sign off on the former mayor's budget as well as all of those legal settlements and special contracts for friends and family. Ken Cockrel signed off on everything that Mr. Kilpatrick wanted to do.

Quote Originally Posted by buckster1986 View Post
    Why did Ken where his shirt in the polling place? I'm sure that is illegal and wasn't that an issue for the primary? I just don't understand what you have to do to inforce the 100' rule?
    Cockrel was accused Tuesday by Detroit City Clerk Janice Winfrey of electioneering, which is wearing campaign paraphernalia to a polling place with the intent of influencing voters.

Local 4 cameras captured Cockrel, his wife and son wearing yellow "Ken Cockrel Corps." T-shirts inside of the polling station while they voted in the special election.

"Any material, election garb, hats buttons, it's called electioneering, That came up in the special primary," said Winfrey.

Winfrey said she sent Cockrel a letter a while back notifying him that he violated the campaign rules in February's special primary.

"I don't recall getting that letter, but clearly you seem to be making it an issue," Cockrel told Local 4.

Electioneering is considered a misdemeanor and is subject to a fine said Winfrey.

He didn't recall owing 42,000.00 either.

How can that be?

No penalty in Bing, Cockrel campaigning

Candidates get warning over appearances at polls

http://www.freep.com/article/20090427/NEWS01/904270333/

During the Feb. 24 primary, Free Press staff witnessed Cockrel, while making a campaign stop at the Sheridan Place apartments on the city's east side, walk into the room where voting was taking place.
    Cockrel, wearing a "Ken Cockrel Corps" T-shirt that was partially visible under his parka, said hello to those in the room and noted he could not try to influence their vote. He shook voters' hands as he left.
    Meanwhile, Free Press staff also saw Bing, wearing a "Bing for Mayor" cap and a campaign lanyard, enter Pershing High School and walk up to the entrance of the voting room, but never enter.
    Bing greeted a voter exiting the room, but then a city election worker, noticing Bing and a throng of news media following him, ordered the group to leave.
    State election policy is to have an election worker advise a person who might be violating the law and call law enforcement only if he or she refuses to leave, Baxter said. Criminal action would occur only if a witness filed a complaint with law enforcement, he said.
    Both campaigns said they would respect the clerk's letter.
    "We'll abide by all rules that are provided by the city clerk," said Bing spokeswoman Meagan Pitts.
    Cockrel campaign manager Jim Edmondson had no problem with the clerk's decision.
    "There was no real harm here," he said. "We will certainly adhere to all the rules of election law."

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalG313 View Post
    How can that be?

No penalty in Bing, Cockrel campaigning

Candidates get warning over appearances at polls

http://www.freep.com/article/20090427/NEWS01/904270333/

During the Feb. 24 primary, Free Press staff witnessed Cockrel, while making a campaign stop at the Sheridan Place apartments on the city's east side, walk into the room where voting was taking place.
    Cockrel, wearing a "Ken Cockrel Corps" T-shirt that was partially visible under his parka, said hello to those in the room and noted he could not try to influence their vote. He shook voters' hands as he left.
    Meanwhile, Free Press staff also saw Bing, wearing a "Bing for Mayor" cap and a campaign lanyard, enter Pershing High School and walk up to the entrance of the voting room, but never enter.
    Bing greeted a voter exiting the room, but then a city election worker, noticing Bing and a throng of news media following him, ordered the group to leave.
    State election policy is to have an election worker advise a person who might be violating the law and call law enforcement only if he or she refuses to leave, Baxter said. Criminal action would occur only if a witness filed a complaint with law enforcement, he said.
    Both campaigns said they would respect the clerk's letter.
    "We'll abide by all rules that are provided by the city clerk," said Bing spokeswoman Meagan Pitts.
    Cockrel campaign manager Jim Edmondson had no problem with the clerk's decision.
    "There was no real harm here," he said. "We will certainly adhere to all the rules of election law."

Kenneth Kilpatrick makes his own rules.

#88 at my precinct, around 1pm. Much better than the primary but not good enough.