Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Detroit Marathon 2010 - Great Day Today

The 33rd annual Detroit Marathon took place today and it was an absolutely perfect day for a race.

Hats off the the race organizers, the City of Detroit, City of Windsor, the DPD, the Bridge Authority, the Tunnel Authority, Border patrol, and the tons of volunteers that make the race possible.

This is an event that everyone in the city and region should be proud of as it is a world class event. It shows some of the best things the city has to offer, a great & unique course with nice views and through nice neighborhoods.

Participation was the highest its ever been, approaching 20,000 now.

I had people I knew come in from around the country that just love running the Detroit Marathon and for first timers they are shocked at how it highlights some of the best things the city as to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post
    The 33rd annual Detroit Marathon took place today and it was an absolutely perfect day for a race.

Hats off the the race organizers, the City of Detroit, City of Windsor, the DPD, the Bridge Authority, the Tunnel Authority, Border patrol, and the tons of volunteers that make the race possible.

This is an event that everyone in the city and region should be proud of as it is a world class event. It shows some of the best things the city has to offer, a great & unique course with nice views and through nice neighborhoods.

Participation was the highest its ever been, approaching 20,000 now.

I had people I knew come in from around the country that just love running the Detroit Marathon and for first timers they are shocked at how it highlights some of the best things the city as to offer.
    Glad to hear it went well. It's always one of the Detroit events I enjoy the most. I usually run the 5K but had to skip this year due to an ankle injury. Did you run?

Nice to see some of the cast and crew of Detroit 187 took part, wearing their Detroit 187 t-shirts.

Also a big thank you to everyone watching. As we ran through the beautiful Detroit neighborhoods, everyone was so supportive. On more than a few occasions people would say "welcome to our neighborhood" as runners passed through. It was a great feeling.

I feel bad that I didn't even run the 5K. Next year I'm definitely doing the half marathon!

It's nice to see that the finish line is outside. The last time I ran the Freep marathon the finish line was inside Ford Field.
    I always thought that was a terrible idea. Running is about being outside with the weather and fresh air. Not to mention it was a bitch walking up those stairs after the race.

Congratulations to anyone who ran. Hopefully your recovery is coming along well.

It was my first half marathon. Everyone was awesome and supportive. The view from the bridge is worth the trip alone. It was pretty cool to see that many people filling the streets of Detroit in the wee hours of the morning and at the finish which for me was 2:47:23 later. I'm not fast but I had fun.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzman0077 View Post
    It was my first half marathon. Everyone was awesome and supportive. The view from the bridge is worth the trip alone. It was pretty cool to see that many people filling the streets of Detroit in the wee hours of the morning and at the finish which for me was 2:47:23 later. I'm not fast but I had fun.
    Good job, buzz man. That's a very respectable time, especially for your first half marathon.

I ran the half marathon with a friend, we were both first timers, and it could not have gone better! It was incredible to be surrounded by 20,000 people from all walks of life working their asses off. The volunteers cheering on the sidelines were beautiful, the weather was beautiful, the route was beautiful. My body is still in pain and I cannot wait for next year. Thank you Detroit!

For you runners out there, the Turkey Trot has a similar feel and atmosphere, although it's on a smaller scale. You get to run past all those people waiting for the parade to start, and most of them are cheering for you. It's a pretty good feeling.

Looking forward to the Turkey Trot this year. Last year I walked the 5k with a cousin for the first time and I throughly enjoyed myself. Due to family matters I didn't have time to train for the Freep marathon but I hope to walk it next year. There's also the New Year's Eve run/walk at Belle Isle.

Quote Originally Posted by msamslex View Post
    Looking forward to the Turkey Trot this year. Last year I walked the 5k with a cousin for the first time and I throughly enjoyed myself. Due to family matters I didn't have time to train for the Freep marathon but I hope to walk it next year. There's also the New Year's Eve run/walk at Belle Isle.
    The Turkey Trot is a good race to run because you get it done early and don't feel guilty about overeating later.

The Belle Isle New Year's Eve run is great. I ran it about four years in a row but missed the past couple of years. I hope to be back this year.