Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default I have two questions

Ok so I have been living downtown since May and there are 2 questions I have.

So I was wondering if there was any place downtown or around downtown that had bottle return machines to recycle bottles.

And my second question is what is the best place around here to bring a screw in, find the same screw [[like a hardware store) and be able to buy a bunch of that same screw?

Don't know about the first.

Best hardware store I can remember even close was Busy Bee at Gratiot & Russell, but I don't know if it's still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Don't know about the first.

Best hardware store I can remember even close was Busy Bee at Gratiot & Russell, but I don't know if it's still there.
    Thanks, I will look into it.

Sometimes the bottle and can machines are working at University Market on Warren near the Lodge.

Detroit Hardware, at Milwaukee and Woodward, has a great selection of hardware and are very helpful. Pull around back and park behind them at their small parking lot off Milwaukee.

Third Street hardware on Third near MLK is also very good.

Busy Bee is still there and Honeybee Market in Mexicantown might have bottle machine.

Stromberg2

There is a bottle machine in the vestibule of the market on Michigan and Livernois, though its not really downtown. Another place to try would be Brooks ACE hardware. They have a ton of stuff in that store, its on Trumbull just N of Michigan.

Thank you everyone for your input

Have to dbl the vote for Brooks, but you can't go wrong with Busy Bee, but parking isn't always easy for in-and-out quick trips.

Busy Bee rocks. During the daytime, it's usually not too hard to find a metered spot on the south side of Gratiot. The guy that "seems" to run the place [[i say "seems" because he always takes care of me when I go there) is a walking encyclopedia, and makes every effort to take care of you. Also, the place is an excellent resource for those into gardening, pickling, canning, etc.

Another place to try would be Brooks ACE hardware. They have a ton of stuff in that store, its on Trumbull just N of Michigan.
    I wasn't sure that was there anymore either after the ballpark left.

DetroitDad Guest

Default Bottle Returns and Hardware Stores

1. Bottle Return: There are bottle return machine at the two grocery stores in Mindtown; University Foods at The Lodge Expressway and Warren Road, and Food Pride at St Antoine Street and Warren Road. Most small party stores will also accept pop bottle returns, just go in and tell them you have bottle returns. This is the way it used to be done, and they won't find it strange.
    2. Four hardware stores to get screws; Ace Hardware at Trumbull near Michigan Avenue, Busy Bee Hardware at Gratiot and Russell [[near Eastern Market), Third Avenue Pro Hardware at Third near MLK, and The Detroit Hardware Company on Woodward Avenue and Milwaukee. All locations have ample street parking and a parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    Ok so I have been living downtown since May and there are 2 questions I have.

So I was wondering if there was any place downtown or around downtown that had bottle return machines to recycle bottles.

And my second question is what is the best place around here to bring a screw in, find the same screw [[like a hardware store) and be able to buy a bunch of that same screw?
    Last edited by DetroitDad; October-18-10 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Links Added

Well, I have a question, and I'll just keep it on this thread. Where can one find small hot sauce bottles in this area? I made up some homemade habanero sauce and need to bottle it soon. Thanks for any info.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I wasn't sure that was there anymore either after the ballpark left.
    LOL not many people leave a ballgame and think.. "Why there is a lumberyard! Lets stop and get some framing!" It survives because thate is no other place to get lumber around for miles, with the closest probably being the Home Depot on Ford Rd or the one on Seven Mile.

Detroit Dad just showed his age with his posting! Its Brooks, not Ace! Ace is not the owner, just the supplier. 3rd Ave and Detroit are not as good as Brooks or Busy Bee.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; October-18-10 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Well, I have a question, and I'll just keep it on this thread. Where can one find small hot sauce bottles in this area? I made up some homemade habanero sauce and need to bottle it soon. Thanks for any info.

Stromberg2
    Are you talking about empty bottles? I am not sure where you would even start to look for something like that... dollar store?

Empty bottles. I ended up contacting the owner of Detroit Spice co and he gets his from Porter Bottles 1941 W. Fort, in case anybody has a hot sauce bottling need. Thanks, P1acebo.

Stromberg2