Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Growing up on the East Side....

I'd like to start a discussion of memories of growing up on the east side in the 50's and 60's. I grew up in the Lakeview/ Canfield area and went to Hosmer School.
    Did anyone else live in this area, and what are your favorite memories - school, playgrounds, corner stores, alleys, neighbors, restaurants and summer fun.

I went to Wayne [[44-51) and to Jackson [[51-53). Hosmer fed into jackson for 7th grade as did Wayne and Clark.

Schweitzers on Warren Ave for ice cream after the fast pitch game at Chandler Park diamonds.

Balduck....I went up and down that hill a zillion times as a kid. When an older kid it was a nice place to visit with female companionship.

Summer school at Finney one year. I fooken hated it.

E. Side Drive-in-My first real job. If you wanted to call it that.

Dalys on Harper.
    East Side Sporting Goods
    Saw the Geisha Boy at the Vogue Theater

Vet for my first dog was a Frenchman on Harper. Hack......

Red Carpet Lounge-Teegarden & VanWinkle. Often.

I remember the Vogue, saw Jaws, and Star Wars there in the 70's.
    We took our pets to Harveys Animal Hospital on Mack.
    Good doctor.

Grew up on Bishop off of Mack. Great area back in the 60'sand 70's.
    Barbies,Rose and Doms, Alger Theatre, Carom Club,Club 500, etc

grew up on manistique and mack. kindergarten at hosmer [[building is borded up but still ilooks), if i remember, my teachers name was miss geri, st. john berchamns 1 - 5th grade. took swimming lessons at jackson and boy was mom mad. almost got my butt in a long hallway while waiting to go swimming. some girls just didn't like me i guess.

I went to Guyton, for kindergarten, starting in Sept. 1969. Philip-Korte-Scripps. Only for one year. After that, I lived on Lenox, between Mack/Charlevoix & went to Carstens. If youv'e ever seen the dairy queen with the "Elsie's the cow head on it", on Mack- I lived about six houses down Lenox. It's still there- would you believe.

Grew up on Farmbrook between E. Warren and Chandler Park Drive. Bethany Lutheran for grade school, one year at Finney, next three at Lutheran High East [['68) in Harper Woods. Bethany's school closed two or three years ago, LHE about five.

Spent a lot of time at Balduck - winter sledding and summer scrub softball. Climbed around on the "rocky side" of the hill.

We used to go on bike-hikes: Down Morross to Lakeshore Drive and on up to the Ford estate in Grosse Pointe Shores.

Neighborhood kids would go as a gang to the Woods Theater on Saturdays. 25 cents for a double feature [[usually horror flicks like Dracula, Frankenstein, War of the Worlds, The Lost Missle, etc) and 35 cents for the Walt Disney movies.

In the late high school years I worked at the Sunoco station at Warren and Farmbrook, Gene Bridges' Gulf station at Mack and Courville, and Jim McClure's Shell station on Mack, across from Priem's Bar. That was back when a service station was a SERVICE station. Pumped the gas, checked the oil, washed the windshield and rear window, put air in the tires. Never got any tips and never expected any - that was the job description. The last job I had in hiigh school was at B&B Auto Parts on Warren. Drove a delivery truck.

Had more than my share of fish dinners from the K of C Hall at Warren and Farmbrook. Got a few "saloon hamburgers" from Pete's Bar, too. Greasy as all get-out, but delicious!

I turned 60 in August. I can remember all that stuff from the fifties and sixties but can't tell you what I had for lunch today.

Turkey-
    I still see Gene Bridges. His wife passed away last year.
    Nice man.
    Did you know the DeVries family on Farmbrook?
    Last edited by pgn421; October-19-10 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Error

I went to Tendler on Hart and Vernor, then Carstens, then St John Berchman before going to Monroe to a boarding school. Does anyone remember Ms Fillipew? She was one nasty teacher. Hated me from day one.

I worked for a summer at the Texaco on Warren and Manistique, My gram shopped at Phils Market on Warren.

My first paying job was at Mr C's on Warren and Grayton.

I moved to Ann Arbor in the early 80's. Now I live in SCS.

Quote Originally Posted by eastsider4life View Post
    I went to Tendler on Hart and Vernor, then Carstens, then St John Berchman before going to Monroe to a boarding school. Does anyone remember Ms Fillipew? She was one nasty teacher. Hated me from day one..
    I remember Miss Fillipew. I had her, i believe, for 3rd grade. She was a tiny thing from what I remember....or could that have been Miss Perroti?

[[turkeycall): "Bethany Lutheran for grade school, one year at Finney, next three at Lutheran High East [['68) in Harper Woods. Bethany's school closed two or three years ago, LHE about five."

Turkeycall - if you just turned 60, you were undoubtedly at LHE at same time as me - I turned 60 last year. Graduated from there in '67. Went to Mt. Calvary for elementary school. Lived on Laing between Moross & Morang. I was a minister at Our Saviour for a while and preached a couple of times at Bethany. My dad had a hardware store on Mack in GPW - about 3 blocks north of Woods Theater, so my brother & I went to the 25-cent Saturday matinees there too. Also went to lots of flicks at the Civic, Vogue, Alger & Harper theaters. Our whole family lived blocks from each other, including grandparents, aunts & uncles and most of my cousins. It was a pretty tight-knit neighborhood experience back then before everyone began to scatter to suburbs & beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by kville View Post
    [[turkeycall): "Bethany Lutheran for grade school, one year at Finney, next three at Lutheran High East [['68) in Harper Woods. Bethany's school closed two or three years ago, LHE about five."

Turkeycall - if you just turned 60, you were undoubtedly at LHE at same time as me - I turned 60 last year. Graduated from there in '67. Went to Mt. Calvary for elementary school. Lived on Laing between Moross & Morang. I was a minister at Our Saviour for a while and preached a couple of times at Bethany. My dad had a hardware store on Mack in GPW - about 3 blocks north of Woods Theater, so my brother & I went to the 25-cent Saturday matinees there too. Also went to lots of flicks at the Civic, Vogue, Alger & Harper theaters. Our whole family lived blocks from each other, including grandparents, aunts & uncles and most of my cousins. It was a pretty tight-knit neighborhood experience back then before everyone began to scatter to suburbs & beyond.
    kville, I also lived on Laing - 12468. I am 7 yrs younger than you, but can't help but think I knew you. What was your address? Also, does kville mean Knoxville? I live in Old Hickory, suburb of Nashville.

12468 Laing - I know who you are - we connected in one of these forums some time ago when I recognized your address. We were about 4 houses up at 12500. I believe you used to live next to Schultz's. We had kids everywhere on our side of the street and I also remember your sister hanging out with the younger sisters of some of my friends on the block. We lived between the Jarmosevich and Balow family. Van Dressers used to live in Balow's house before them. Kville stands for Kendallville, a town north of Fort Wayne in NE Indiana.

Yes, I remember connecting with you before. By the way, I was back in Detroit for a couple of days earlier in this month - Laing is nothing like it used to be when we were there. Supports the idea of "you should never go back".

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    Yes, I remember connecting with you before. By the way, I was back in Detroit for a couple of days earlier in this month - Laing is nothing like it used to be when we were there. Supports the idea of "you should never go back".
    Looking at my old stomping grounds on Google street view makes me feel ill.

15675 Manning/9200 Haverhill. Saturday afternoons at the movies - Vogue, Civic, Harper. Ice skating and sledding in the winter. Attended Burbank, Wayne, St Matthew, and Austin. Remember when Eastland was a big deal? Saturday bus rides downtown to Hudsons, Central station, Fox theater, etc. Sneeking firecrackers back from Windsor. A great place for a kid to grow up in the 50's and early 60's. Went back the old neighborhood last June on our way to a vacation at Traverse City, and almost cried. You really can't go back can you? I suppose that "what happened" could fill book after book. Still look back with a warm feeling and try not to allow the reality of the present creep in and spoil it.

Quote Originally Posted by 5thSFGP View Post
    15675 Manning/9200 Haverhill. Saturday afternoons at the movies - Vogue, Civic, Harper. Ice skating and sledding in the winter. Attended Burbank, Wayne, St Matthew, and Austin. Remember when Eastland was a big deal? Saturday bus rides downtown to Hudsons, Central station, Fox theater, etc. Sneeking firecrackers back from Windsor. A great place for a kid to grow up in the 50's and early 60's. Went back the old neighborhood last June on our way to a vacation at Traverse City, and almost cried. You really can't go back can you? I suppose that "what happened" could fill book after book. Still look back with a warm feeling and try not to allow the reality of the present creep in and spoil it.
    10681 Nottingham [[near Grayton), Wayne, Jackson, Denby. Civic, Harper, Alger, Vogue, and Ramona. Shopping at the local strip mall center [[Houston between Kelly and Hayes) also shopping at Harper and Chalmers..All of the little red brick bungalows. Playing flashlight tag in the summer while all the neighbors sat on their front porches [[no AC in those days).

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Grew up on Bishop off of Mack. Great area back in the 60'sand 70's.
    Barbies,Rose and Doms, Alger Theatre, Carom Club,Club 500, etc
    Still a great area...you could throw a rock and hit my house.

Spending a lot of time at Cadieux Cafe, Nikki's Place, High Noon Saloon. Walk to Yorkshire Market to pick up the staples. Neighborhood meetings at St. Clair of Montefalco. Junky used book store full of cheap treasures including records. Farmers Market at Bishop and Warren. Curbside recycling. Some things are still good in a different way.

Service station comments were pretty interesting. Remember thinking my MOM would never get out to pump her own gas, Jeez, what did they expect? Frequently, the pump jockey was also the mechanic, he knew your car. Big trust relationship there. Dad keeping the mileage every fillup in a little notebook in the glove box. Getting out of your car at the car wash, a guy in the pit underneath would hook a link to your frame and attach it to the constantly running chain down the center of the wash. Running along side, watching the car get pulled through. Then the guys swarming over it at the end, cleaning and vacuuming EVERYTHING!

pgn421 Quote:
    Turkey-
    I still see Gene Bridges. His wife passed away last year.
    Nice man.
    Did you know the DeVries family on Farmbrook?

I worked for Gene back in '68. He's got to be well up into his eighties now. His father-ib-law was Bud. He worked at the station, too. Gene named his tow truck after his wife - Little Leencha.

I did know the DeVries family; they lived two doors from Marsielles and Frankfort - Ginny [[maybe) and Claude. Claude worked for Bird Laboratories making false teeth and also had a side business in his basement. Greg was a year younger than me but we hung together. His family belonged to First Christian Reformed on Maryland but Greg, his sister, Deb, and his brother Bruce attended Bethany with me.

kville Quote:

You ought to remember Cheryl McElvey and her brother, Kent. They and their family attended Mt. Calvary. Mt. Calvary School was - get this - overcrowded. Cheryl attended Bethany because we had some space left. We were classmates.

My wife grew up on Spring Garden just off MacCrary [[sp?). Big Polish family, she was #6 of 12 kids. Her family attended Assumption [[Grotto). Her folks are still living in Sterling Heights but when their time comes to depart this veil of tears they'll be buried in Grotto's cemetery.

We used to walk to the Alger, Vogue, and Harper theaters. Do you remember when Bethany, Peace, and Mt. Calvary would get together and conduct Good Friday services at the Harper?

You were probably the pastor at Our Saviour after Bob Conradt accepted the call to Our Redeemer here in Muskegon. He's my bishop and I am kinda, sorta his permanent vicar [Licensed Deacon].

We had special visitors a couple of months ago. Pastor Bucheimer [[sp?) and his wife were up from Jacksonville, Florida. He's pretty spry for an eighty-something. Though retired, he is leading a mission congregation outside Jacksonville. Maybe that's what keeps him young at heart.

Turkey-
    Do you remember Kurt DeVries? I got Jim a job,where I worked, he passed away about 2 years ago,fm pancreatic cancer

I'm thinking Kurt Devries was a "bonus baby." I never met him, though.

Seems to me his death was mentioned on a previous thread - probably "Balduck Hill" or along that line.

But, that's okay. It's a joy to be able to remember what a quality life we had in the old neighborhood. In the summer we played all day and went home when the streelights turned on.

But, we really can't go back, can we? It just ain't the same.

Quote Originally Posted by turkeycall View Post
    But, we really can't go back, can we? It just ain't the same.
    I lived on Marseilles between Chandler/Chester... still remember the smoke burning my eyes when we used to rake the [[Elm tree) leaves to the street, and burn them at the curb... Every once in a while I'll be out in the boonies somewhere, and catch a whiff of someone still burning their leaves... brings back memories.

Also still can hear the sound of Mr. Lappicolla's Produce Truck.... "Strawberries...strawberries, 3 quarts for a dollar.... Tomatoes... Peaches... Sweet Corn..." and "Uncle George" the rotund Good Humor ice cream truck with the bells chiming.

.... and remember those Air Raid drills at school [[went to Marquette)... and buying the stamps [[in the classroom) for your Savings Bonds book.

You ought to remember Cheryl McElvey and her brother, Kent. They and their family attended Mt. Calvary. Mt. Calvary School was - get this - overcrowded. Cheryl attended Bethany because we had some space left. We were classmates.

My wife grew up on Spring Garden just off MacCrary [[sp?). Big Polish family, she was #6 of 12 kids. Her family attended Assumption [[Grotto). Her folks are still living in Sterling Heights but when their time comes to depart this veil of tears they'll be buried in Grotto's cemetery.

We used to walk to the Alger, Vogue, and Harper theaters. Do you remember when Bethany, Peace, and Mt. Calvary would get together and conduct Good Friday services at the Harper?

You were probably the pastor at Our Saviour after Bob Conradt accepted the call to Our Redeemer here in Muskegon. He's my bishop and I am kinda, sorta his permanent vicar [Licensed Deacon].

We had special visitors a couple of months ago. Pastor Bucheimer [[sp?) and his wife were up from Jacksonville, Florida. He's pretty spry for an eighty-something. Though retired, he is leading a mission congregation outside Jacksonville. Maybe that's what keeps him young at heart.

Turkeycall - I was at Our Saviour in late 70's and early 80's. I knew Bob Conradt from having worked with him one summer, but he came to the church as pastor after I left in 1982. The church closed a few years later. I had known the older Dr. Buchheimer [[father of the one you mentioned). My wife grew up at that church in 50's & 60's and knew the "younger" Buchheimer, Jr. that you mentioned.

I didn't know Cheryl McElvey at Mt Calvary. I knew most of the kids in the grade above or below mine, and that name doesn't ring a bell, so maybe she was a couple of years separated from me. You're right, the school was overcrowded back then. I do recall that there were so many kids at the schools that Mt. Calvary & Bethany used to share bus routes. Each bus would pick up kids closest to their church/school and meet somewhere in the middle and Bethany kids would get off the Mt Calvary bus and switch to theirs and vice versa. Hard to believe all those schools are gone now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast