Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default A Big State of Big Changes

Today I took the 40-mile trip to Ohio. I arrived via Telegraph. I headed east on Alexis and passed over the AARR/CSX/NS lines and Stickney. I came up to Benore and there I saw a Menard's [[I never saw a Menard's here in Michigan so that was a first for me) and stopped at a Meijer.

The biggest headache, we had to backtrack through Monroe because I-75 south was a parking lot! Saw men working on the BP sign at exit 15. Around the I-275 interchange Meijer has a distribution center with an old sign! Because of the congestion we had to take M-125 until Samaria Road, turned west to enter Telegraph.

We passed three Pilot TC's. Again we drove by the North Monroe Exxon.

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post
    Today I took the 40-mile trip to Ohio. I arrived via Telegraph. I headed east on Alexis and passed over the AARR/CSX/NS lines and Stickney. I came up to Benore and there I saw a Menard's [[I never saw a Menard's here in Michigan so that was a first for me) and stopped at a Meijer.

The biggest headache, we had to backtrack through Monroe because I-75 south was a parking lot! Saw men working on the BP sign at exit 15. Around the I-275 interchange Meijer has a distribution center with an old sign! Because of the congestion we had to take M-125 until Samaria Road, turned west to enter Telegraph.

Is your Twitter account not working?

Welcome to DetroitYes, sounds like an interesting drive. Did you go into Menard's?

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mtburb View Post

You went to Ohio? You should thank your lucky stars that you came back earlier. I hear that them Ohioans aren't in the best of moods right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Welcome to DetroitYes, sounds like an interesting drive. Did you go into Menard's?
    menard's rocks! apparently, they were headed into the metro detroit market but were delayed by the major lowe's/hd expansions and the poop economy of the last 5 years or so. from what i hear, they will eventually get here, if only in the exurbs.

Detroit area doesn't have Menards? They are more common than Home Depot in the Flint / Tri-Cities area.

I have heard about Menards, On my trip north the Mother in Law asked if we went to Menards. No. I took Telegraph home from Toledo back in the summer, Having not taken that stretch very often I can't really tell.Cept that empty mall was still standing last I knew, Just south of the border.

That Menards is in Toledo, not Michigan. On Alexis Rd. It's a damn good store and would give Lowes/HD a run for their money.

Stromberg2

We have 2 Menard's stores in the greater Kalamazoo area; also 2 Home Depots and 2 Lowe's. Half sit within Kalamazoo city limits and half are in close-by/adjacent communities. I've been in probably each of the stores and they are all pretty busy places. Menard's has the most diverse product selection and I can always find something cool/innovative/worthwhile there.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Is your Twitter account not working?
    LOL... Johnny 5 I laughed so hard after reading your post, that I almost spit pop all over my keyboard.... I'm also still trying to figure out what significance BP and Exxon play in all this...

The Toledo Strip blong Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
    The Toledo Strip blong Michigan.
    Couldn't have said it any more poetically....

.... and [[grunt) we keep UP....

Lowell ... Please move to non-Detroit. In fact, please create a non-Relevant queue and move it there.

Default Here are the pictures

This is a new Michigan welcome sign. This is at the southern terminus of M-125.

This is the North Monroe Exxon. Click http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...52.91,,0,-1.92; this was a Sunoco.

That is a fairly new Kroger on M-125 and Jones at the border of Monroe city and charter township.

Waiting at the red light... This was at Luna Pier [[Samaria) Road at Telegraph in Erie Township, at the CSX crossing.

That is a TARTA Gillig BRT passing the Meijer gas island on Alexis in Toledo. The Menard's is visible in the background.

A TARTA bus shelter, also on Alexis.

This was the BP sign at exit 15 being fixed.

The Meijer distribution center at the I-275 interchange. Also visible, a power pole. Between Vreeland and south of exit 15, there are a string of two power poles next to each other next to I-75.

One of the Lake Erie Transit paratransit buses we saw in Monroe.

Please leave a reply about one [[or all) of these photos!
    Last edited by mtburb; October-23-10 at 09:14 PM.