Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default This Is Going to be Hard on The Beaver.

The Beav's tv mom, Barbara Billingsley died this afternoon. She was 94.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...te=fullarticle

Barbara Billingsley, who gained supermom status for her gentle portrayal of June Cleaver, the warm, supportive mother of a pair of precocious boys in "Leave it to Beaver," died Saturday. She was 94.

Billingsley, who had suffered from a rheumatoid disease, died at her home in Santa Monica, said family spokeswoman Judy Twersky.

When the show debuted in 1957, Jerry Mathers, who played Beaver, was 9, and Tony Dow, who portrayed Wally, was 12. Billingsley's character, the perfect stay-at-home 1950s mom, was always there to gently but firmly nurture both through the ups and downs of childhood.
    Beaver, meanwhile, was a typical American boy whose adventures landed him in one comical crisis after another.
    I speak jive...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymMBEwtR...

for some reason, I can't embed the "Airplane!" clip.
    Last edited by gnome; October-16-10 at 08:06 PM. Reason: coding problem

The "jive" part is probably the funniest scene in cinematic history.

Maybe not the best, but: Barbara Billingsley: "Stewardess, I Speak Jive".

A masterpiece.

gnome's video link was mistakenly corrupted by the censorbot here because his link contained by chance the three-letter-acronym "Zulu Oscar Golf" in the video ID. [[It's some political organization.)

Using TinyURL.com, I was able to create a link to the higher-resolution version of the video that gnome intended: Stewardess I Speak Jive! - AIRPLANE!.

The censorbot here should be corrected to ignore three-letter-acronyms when they appear within URLs. This has happened before. If someone could cause it to be corrected, please do so.

This mere technical problem continues to be a total buzzkill to otherwise funny posts.
    Last edited by Jimaz; October-16-10 at 10:28 PM.

Related, from the November 2010 Harper's Index [[not yet online):
    Chance that a viewer of Fox News's prime-time broadcast is African-American: 1 in 100
    Number of Ebonics speakers the DEA requested this year to interpret wiretapped conversations of African-American suspects: 9
    Also, Code Talkers
    Last edited by Jimaz; October-16-10 at 10:46 PM.

I know that I will miss her.... and those immortal words...

"Ward... weren't you a little hard on the Beaver last night?"

... and she seemed to be a classy lady with a gentle sense of humor.

To a good life, well lived! huzza huzza huzza

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    gnome's video link was mistakenly corrupted by the censorbot here because his link contained by chance the three-letter-acronym "Zulu Oscar Golf" in the video ID. [[It's some political organization.)

The censorbot here should be corrected to ignore three-letter-acronyms when they appear within URLs. This has happened before. If someone could cause it to be corrected, please do so. ....
    I googled up the acronym Zulu Oscar Gulf and it is attached to one of those wacky conspiracy anti-semantic groups.

yes, that was intentional.

Maybe Mrs. Cleaver was part of the international jewish banking conspiracy - or maybe she was part of the looney fringe. I think Gannon better get on this and let us know the skinny.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I googled up the acronym Zulu Oscar Gulf and it is attached to one of those wacky conspiracy anti-semantic groups.

yes, that was intentional....
    Well, yes, it is obviously intended to be censored from visible text. This technical problem however was caused by also censoring it from the invisible video ID. There's no reason to do that. It only causes problems. This has happened before.

Not to rag on DetroitYES though. If there's no option to configure the censorbot to ignore censored text within video ID's then it's a problem in the underlying vBulletin software that needs to be fixed.

I guess I'm just ragging on the generally declining software quality standards today. I apologize.

Get off my lawn!

Barbara Billingsley is one of the great media figure for a 1950s and 60s suburban mom on Leave it to Beaver. She portrays as a perfect housewife, doing her cooking, cleaning and shopping almost every day. She calms the her husband down from the stressful work in the noisy cities, fixes her boys up for school and play and perpare for dinner for her family. This is what a typical American nuclear family should look like in those days. But the days of the constructed American family is over. Most wives are working, have their own cars and not enough time to take care the kids and make dinner leaving most families broken. Barbara Billingsley thank you for show the ideal of American Family. The Street Prophets salutes you.

... and now alas... a TV Dad has passed away.... 83 year old Tom Bosley of Happy Days fame passed away of cancer...