Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 'The hopefulness here is infectious' -- Chicago columnist on Detroit

Yeah, this column in today's Sun-Times starts with a backhanded compliment [["imagine my surprise . . . I actually wanted to stay longer"), but zips uphill from there.
    There are some serious lessons here that anyone who is interested in the future of American urban cities would be foolish to ignore. . . .

Young professionals of all races who once settled in Detroit's suburbs as a matter of course are now flocking to the lofts that are springing up downtown.
    It's one result of this past week's Transforming Detroit tour hosted by the Detroit Regional News Hub for national journalists. Raspberry to first forumer who says visiting reporters shouldn't be so surprised.

[Hat tip for link to Detroit Moxie blogger Becks Davis.]
    Last edited by RealityCheck; October-16-10 at 05:54 PM.

Chicagoans and Illinoizians are currently in a phase of self-loathing. They are realizing that their budget crises are mammoth, and their political system is so corrupt, it is unlikely that the problem can be fixed. Their biggest financial problem is the government workers pension system.

Here in Michigan, we have budget problems as well, and we have frustrations with our politicians, but there does not appear to be the wholesale ripping off of the taxpayer dollar by the elected and appointed officials, as has been going on for many decades in Illinois.

Look for a tax revolt in Illinois soon, like a few months after the Nov election, when the property owners get their adjusted tax bills. For many people frustrated with high property costs and high taxes, Michigan looks good to them.

I drove through Illinois [[don't pronounce the 's') last week. It is under construction.

Nice article. I think that it oversimplifies things quite a bit, but it is refreshing to see a positive article.

I would like to see the "flocking" of people moving from Birmingham, Royal Oak, Troy, Novi...to the lofts downtown.

Chicago and Detroit are almost polar opposites.
    Chicago is bordering on 3 million people, the tax and spend along with raising fees on private services and privatizing city services has made Chicago a city that the wealthy can afford as well as having affordable housing.
    Detroit has a declining population, a small enclave of historic areas that do nothing to encourage new development and the auto industry squashes ANY attempt at mass transit or bringing Detroit and the rich suburbs together, and when you live in Detroit you have to be hopeful [[as things can't get much worse).

Quote Originally Posted by tallboy66 View Post
    I would like to see the "flocking" of people moving from Birmingham, Royal Oak, Troy, Novi...to the lofts downtown.

Chicago and Detroit are almost polar opposites.
    Chicago is bordering on 3 million people, the tax and spend along with raising fees on private services and privatizing city services has made Chicago a city that the wealthy can afford as well as having affordable housing.
    Detroit has a declining population, a small enclave of historic areas that do nothing to encourage new development and the auto industry squashes ANY attempt at mass transit or bringing Detroit and the rich suburbs together, and when you live in Detroit you have to be hopeful [[as things can't get much worse).

For awhile I was bitter about the privatization of the parking in Chicago....but the updated systems are convenient and management alot more effective.

"The city is just growing,'' Clark told me as the bus idled outside the Gardner Building, an architectural wonder with an interior that rivals Chicago's own downtown Cultural Center.
    I think she means the Guardian Building.