Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Kopytko's, R.I.P.

Hey, DetroitYes friends. I stopped by Kopytko's in Hamtown yesterday after work, only to find the store padlocked, and the sign removed from the building. A local told me they closed the business about one month ago. Does anybody have any further info? I know the owner/manager [[Rick) had a lot of health issues. Dude got me started making bacon, and then sausage. I'm going to make up some chunky kielbasa this weekend in memory of that great place...

They had the best city chicken I've ever had. It melted in your mouth.

They were kind of off the beaten path as far as shopping on JC.

Never been there, but noticed they were auctioning off the equipment last month. Here's an excerpt from the auction site.

"The owners of the Kopytko meat market in Hamtramck have decided it’s time to retire after 44 years in business we are having an online auction at www.detroitmetroauctions.com the auction starts NOW and ends Sunday September 26th. "

Yeah, I called them a couple weeks ago because my aunt had mentioned it appeared closed when she tried to go there and buy some hunters sausage.

Anyway, the guy that answered confirmed that they're closing. [[He only had some pierogi left.)

Sad to see it go. Luckily, Stan's, Polish Market, Srodek's [[Conant & Campau), and Bozek's are still around. I visit a combination of those places whenever I'm back home from DC.

EastSider Guest

The big mystery is who he sold his recipe to. Srodek denied it, and he said it wasn't Kowalski.

They also did not own the building...when I asked during a visit last year the reply was "My father could have bought it years ago but didn't." Sad to see it go.
    Last edited by detroitbob; October-16-10 at 01:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post

Agreed. Their smoked Kielbasa was awfully damn good, too. Albeit expensive.

I had noticed back in late August their sign was down, & the gates were up. They had really good dill pickle soup.

As an alternative I discovered a brand of sausages, cured and uncured bacon and smoked hams at the Produce Palace 12MI and [[29300) Dequindre Rd in Warren...a great double smoked hunters saugage and wedding sausage, fresh smoked Canadian style bacon, slab bacon, etc. It's imported from Chicago under Polish Princess brand. Stopped at a couple of Polish Markets in Chicago a couple of weeks back and discovered the brand is made on Milwaulkee Ave in the old, still thriving, Polish neighborhood. Worth a try. Far better than Kowalski. The closest to Kopytko's real smokehouse flavor.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Yes, Kopytko's was off the beaten path, but they survived because of their reputation; it was definitely a destination place. Even if it had been ON the beaten path, the storefront was so unremarkable, you could miss it if even you knew where it was!

Amazingly, one of the best things I ever had from Kopytko's was their meatloaf. I stopped in to pick up something that my wife could quickly reheat for lunch, and decided on the humble meatloaf. Wow, this stuff was gourmet quality, amazing!

I'll miss how nice everyone was to me and my family, always making sure my daughter was sent home with a little treat...

Time to set up some city chicken now and let it slow-cook.

Kopytko's was a little different from some of the other old-time Hamtramck grocery/delis, in that it was Ukrainian, not Polish. Ukrainian-style sausage is denser and leaner than standard Polish kielbasa, in my experience. Now that Kopytko's is gone, the Uki sausage will probably be unobtainable in the metro area. Kopytko's products were of the highest quality.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post

I mentioned city chicken to an out of state friend once, and they were completely dumbfounded. I didn't realize it was a regional thing.

From Wiki:

Distribution The dish [[and hence the term) are regionalized in cities in the northeastern Appalachia region of Pennsylvania and Upstate New York and Eastern\Central Ohio. City chicken can commonly be found in the following major cities: Pittsburgh, PA, Scranton, PA, Binghamton, NY, Erie, PA and the eastern suburbs of Cleveland, OH, Cincinnati, OH, Northwest Indiana, and north to Hamtramck, MI.

The Wedding and Grill Sausage at Produce Palace is the closest I have come to Kopytko's flavor...lean and garlic and pepper flavored. The other decent west side shop is Markowcz's Home Style European Sausage, 8616 Michigan Avenue Detroit, MI 48210 [[313)846-6870.
    Been around since the mid 1950's and is the last holdout of the old neighborhood.

Joyview [[Joy rd and Telegraph) is lean, garlicky and pepper flavored. I love it. I think Markowycz on Michigan is Ukranian. The sausage is huge and i always thought it tasted like krakowska. It always seemed like cow intestine rather than pig it was so big.

Markowycz is Ukranian, as was Kopytko's...

Sad day when I found out they Closed, They had the Best Sausages around!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    I mentioned city chicken to an out of state friend once, and they were completely dumbfounded. I didn't realize it was a regional thing.

From Wiki:
    Johnlodge... you'll get a similar dumbfounded look when you mention Almond Boneless Chicken to out of towners.... it's not found everywhere...
    http://chinesefood.about.com/od/poul...ondchicken.htm

lilpup Guest

City chicken actually dates back to the Depression when other meats were less expensive than chicken. Chickens weren't mass raised like they are now and were kept mostly for their eggs, not to be cheap dinner.

I imagine the areas most familiar with it now are places with a strong sense of history or tradition where people grew up with it.
    Last edited by lilpup; February-12-11 at 06:44 PM.

does nyone know who sold them their head cheese loaves...the regular was great but the garlic version was the best I've ever had. It was not a house made product and they counter girls would never "know" where it came from.

I am trying to learn how to make my own Polish [[Kielbasa) Sausage Does anyone have any recipes tips etc. I would be interested in hearing from one or all!
    Thanks in advance

do a rough chop or heavy grind, it tastes better than if the meat is fine ground and try to find natural casings rather than the synthetic ones that are sold in some stores.

Here's the recipe that we've used in the past. It makes a lot, but it is awesome.

Kielbasa, Judge Szymanski

20 lbs. Pork
    2 ½ lbs. Beef
    ½ head garlic
    5/8 c. salt 2 T pepper
    ½ c sugar
    2 ½ t marjoram
    3 t monosodium glutamate
    Grind pork with beef. In blender, mix 2 cups cold water with garlic and blend. Add salt, pepper, sugar, marjoram and monosodium glutamate. Blend with water and garlic and pour over meat. Mix well and marinate overnight. Stuff into rinsed casings. Kielbasa should be simmered for 45 min. and then broiled until done. It can also be smoked.
    Last edited by jcole; February-25-11 at 08:09 AM.

Great recipe - thank you! I often make my own, heavy grind as well, - getting the natural casings at mario's meats on 10 mile in Eastpointe. They have fresh meats and tutored me in the art of kielbasa making with great guidance.
    Kopytkos was my ONLY butcher store for Easter and Christmas Kielbasa for decades.

Hey Thanks for the recipe! Where did the name come from? I grew up with a friend with that last name?

It was Judge Szymanski of Detroit's recipe. It was in the Freep or the News back in the 70's

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post

From Wiki:
    As a kid, I wouldn't touch city chicken. I thought it tasted "weird". Once Mom asked me why I wouldn't eat city chicken, I told her, "Because it doesn't taste like chicken!" I thought city chicken was real chicken on a stick. The family had a good laugh over that one. DOH!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast