Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Does anyone in here consider Comerica Park home?

To me, an outsider who's never seen a big baseball stadium up close and personal Comerica Park seems to be a decent park. You know, it look like a quintessential baseball park, dedicated to that one sport. Not a multi purpose cookie cutter of yesteryear.
    Compared to Tigerstadium it must be an improvement in just enjoying the game and the availability of amendities is much better. there must also be downsides of course. The history is left behind at Trumbull avenue.

Now that some time is passed, has your opinion of the park improved?

Me myself had a similar thing. Here's my story.

Our football stadium, soccer if you will, was aging. We were playing in the second devision for decades and suddenly we promoted to the Dutch premier league in 1990. We succeeded in winning the after-season play-off. This was totally unexpected. During the season we ended in 16th place but due to the fact that we won a play off spot early in the season we were allowed to participate.

And suddenly we were among the big guns. We never had Ajax Amsterdam, Feyenoord Rotterdam and PSV Eindhoven as guests. Safe to say the demand for season tickets skyrocketed. The official capacity was about 12000. Our first season in the premier league ended with an average of 14000... We relegated after one season but in 1993 we promoted again and never went down again.

I took 4 pictures with the goal of creating a panorama.Old school, with glue and scissors. somehow I never created it and the snap shots remained untouched. I was lucky I never demolished the pictures cause later I could use them again with a scanner and panorama program. And this was the result.

Pre-season friendly against FC Barcelona, managed by Johan Cruijff. The match ended 6-5!!

As I said, the stadium was at it's end. But I considered it my very own stadium, the stadium I grew up in. In 1994 a new arena opened closer to the city center [[something the Tigers have in common with us) with a capacity of 14000. It took me quite a while to love this concrete substitude stadium. The roof was supported by over 30 poles, which blocked some of the view. I also had to aquaint myself with my new neighbours. The stadium was an all-seater whereas the old stadium was 40% stands. The whole atmosphere was different.

The new stadium in 1997.

Over the years the stadium grew bigger and bigger and is now considered a milestone in stadium building in the Netherlands. It was the first new stadium ever build in a different place than the old stadium.

Now it looks like this, apart from the right corner which is also modified..

If the worldcup football 2018 is awarded to the Netherlands and Belgium, the stadium capacity will rise to 44000 spectators. The city of Heerenveen has a population of 33000! Regardless of the Worldcup, the capacity will be extended to 35000. The stand nearest in this picture will rise to over 40 meters.

We're now 16 years later. The stadium has a double capacity compared to the old stadium. This means that more than half of the current spectators never knew the old one. We sure long to the old days sometimes but in the past 16 years amazing things have happened here also on the current ground. It took a long time but After a while the new stadium became my home.

Is Comerica your "home" or is the loss of Tigerstadium still deep wound inside you?
    Last edited by Whitehouse; October-16-10 at 12:13 PM.

I've gone to one game at Comerica....took me until last year to go. That should say enough.

..might as well be home since the old stadium is dust now..

Comerica is actually not too bad as newer stadiums go, and I like it a little better now that I've been to some of the other newer ballparks. However, i took me years to go there though, and it finally took a playoff game to get me into the place. And I've not been there regularly since. It does have some definite advantages over the old place in terms of basic amenities like bathrooms [[although old-time male Detroiters like myself still get all nostalgic over the ol' horse troughs) and variety of food available. But it's hard for me to imagine that anyone who regularly attended ballgames at Tiger Stadium would actually prefer the baseball watching experience at Comerica. In this regard Comerica was most definitely not an improvement.

Aside from the history [[which was considerable, the Tigers had played on that site since 1900 - look up Ty Cobb, Hank Greenberg, Mickey Cochrane, Al Kaline... or even Bobby Layne who also played there), it was a significantly better place to watch a game. Fans were much closer to the action. So close in some spots that you could easily hear the players talking, etc. The place was fully enclosed, with a roof over most of the stands, so not only were you protected from the worst of the weather, but it held in all of the noise and excitement generated by the fans. And the place felt, and even smelled, like a real ballpark, a place to watch baseball and enjoy the company of your fellow fans, and not a place primarily designed to keep you entertained while selling you stuff.

In contrast to your stadium though, Tiger Stadium actually had more seats than the new place and a roof over your head. One of my main complaints abut Comerica is being forced to sit out in the hot glaring sun or the rain. Of course, it also had those infamous roof supporting posts, which added to the intimacy and old-time feeling of the ballpark, but could really make for some bad seats. In fact, the lack of posts was one of the main points used to sell the new ballpark.

I, for one, will always miss Tiger Stadium. It was a special part of my youth and my family history. But I'm also sure that kids who are growing up going to Comerica Park will someday look back on it and love it too.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; October-15-10 at 02:43 PM.

As I said on the other thread... It's a decent facility, just needs an upgraded scoreboard. It's a nice place to see a game, good view of the skyline, good concessions. The grounds crew keeps the playing field looking like one of the best in the sport, IMO. It's a good example of a modern ballpark. No, it's not Tiger Stadium, and those memories won't be replaced. Mrs. Lodge appreciates they actually have things a vegetarian can eat. It has consistently rated high on PETAs [[yeah yeah) list of vegetarian friendly parks for its offerings. And I like the big tiger so suck it.

I love the Tigers, no matter where they play. It's never been the buildings that make the games great. It's always been the players. Anyone that can't support the team at Comerica Park because it's not Tiger Stadium is doing the right thing by not attending games. There's no need for that person to be around the real fans.

I gotta say, Tiger Stadium was the better venue. You could tell when the guy at bat was a big guy or a little guy. And that huge bleacher section [[remember the "bleacher creatures"?) was amazing. Of course, then it was like $3 a ticket. Should be cheaper at the new place, considering we helped pay for it. But that's the way of the future. They want everything to be like an airport, so you can never leave, and shell out all your money there.

One of my favorites in this debate:

Just about everyone that I know that thinks Comerica Park is too new, too flashy and that Tiger Stadium appeal is it's age, history etc have all moved out of the neghborhoods and homes they grew up in to newer neighborhoods with bigger homes.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    I've gone to one game at Comerica....took me until last year to go. That should say enough.
    I've gone to one game at Comerica.....took me until Opening Day about 4 years ago, with heavy persuasion from out of town friends who needed a tour guide around downtown. Haven't been back. That should say enough.

It's not Tiger Stadium, but I've always liked the new stadium. It has it's pluses and minuses, but TS wasn't without it's negatives either.
    Give me a hot dog, a beer and a baseball game and I'll be happy in just about any stadium.

As far as the newer stadiums go CP is pretty highly regarded by baseball people throughout the league.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

Just about everyone that I know that thinks Comerica Park is too new, too flashy and that Tiger Stadium appeal is it's age, history etc have all moved out of the neghborhoods and homes they grew up in to newer neighborhoods with bigger homes.
    Maybe that's my problem. I've always lived in older houses and buildings on the same little piece of the east side all the time I've lived in Detroit. Can't really imagine living anywhere else around here.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

Actually the last house I bought in MI was built in 1841. Right now I'm living in 1870...I don't like new neighborhoods either.

Almost forgot. I taped this during a helicopter flight.
    From the sky.

This is the landscape around here. Pretty flat and very open.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    And the place felt, and even smelled, like a real ballpark, a place to watch baseball and enjoy the company of your fellow fans, and not a place primarily designed to keep you entertained while selling you stuff.
    That is the best way to describe Comerica. It's as much a carnival as a baseball game. The good part is I can go to the game with the wife and kids and we all have fun. I get three innings to myself and they get to wander the grounds for three innings and do everything except watch the game.

Come to Chicago. You can go to Wrigley and see a great old-school stadium or you can go to Comiskey and be thankful that the Tigers don't have a place like that.

I've said it on other threads; all I care about is being as close to the action as possible. Tiger stadium put you closer than Comerica, Olympia closer than Joe Louis. I loved going to Lion's games as a kid at Tiger Stadium. Football should be played outdoors.

Whitehouse,

Have you heard about the plan to take the dome off the Pontiac Silverdome and build an elevated outdoor soccer stadium for a MLS expansion team? An indoor arena for sports/events would be under the soccer field. I'm very excited about this though I had hoped they would have kept Tiger Stadium for an MLS team. Thanks for the story and pics, very interesting.

In other news tonight, General Francisco Franco is still dead.

And Tiger Stadium is still gone.

Sometimes I wonder about comparing the two ballparks. Is it fair? The only commonality between the two is that the Tigers play there.

To me, both places were unique. Each has its own quirks, perks and downfalls. I generally try not to compare the two because I see this as almost like looking back at past girlfriends. Each one of them was unique; we had a great time together but that was obviously in the past. We're not with them any more. We're now going out with this "new girl" now. We can't go back so let's continue moving forward with this new one. Cherish the one you're with now and be thankful for the one we were with in years past.

Blarf Guest

"Comerica Park" could have been great, but it's shitty.

Was it their goal to put the upper deck as far back from the field as possible?
    How about providing at least some shade? I don't know how anyone can stand going to a game on a hot day.

The Twins new ballpark is a good example of a modern ballpark. Comerica park is a big Fail.

To call a stadium 'home' with all the warm and fuzziness attatched to it, I think one has to grow up with it. It has to be a part of who you are becuase it was there when you were becoming you.

All the old folks miss Tiger Stadium and therefore compare their Comerica Park experience to that. There is no way to compare them. One was old and smelly and dark and cramped and leaky and that is why it was better than the thing that replaced it.

Even if that new place is brighter, cleaner, with better seating, better bathrooms, better sight lines, easier egress and all the rest. Desipte being better, it can never be better, it can never be home because we didn't grow up in it.

In another 20 yrs the hurt will be gone, the scar mostly healed, only a slight bruise will remain and new fathers will take their sons to the ballpark and tell them the legend of the perfect game that wasn't, or when Pudge came to town.

Memories are formed in our bones, when we are young, and anything new will never be anything other than a place. Even a nice place, but never home.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    "Comerica Park" could have been great, but it's shitty.

Was it their goal to put the upper deck as far back from the field as possible?
    How about providing at least some shade? I don't know how anyone can stand going to a game on a hot day.

The Twins new ballpark is a good example of a modern ballpark. Comerica park is a big Fail.
    I don't like Comerica Park, I doubt it's ever going to grow on me like some have suggested. I wouldn't go near that place on a hot summer day. I'll go to night games even though the first few innings can be roasting. Anybody who thinks Comerica Park is a better place to watch a baseball game then Tiger Stadium was, needs to get their head examined.

Some unique events happened there in the meantime.
    The unbelievable goal by Bosvelt
    A new national league record by Afonso Alves. His 7th was in the 77th minute on 7 October 2007!
    The incredible thrashing of giants Feyenoord. Alves scored four times this match, this was the last match of the season and he ended his tally at an incredible 34 goals that season. It earned him a place in the Brazilian national soccer team! Feyenoord captain Van Hooydonk played his last match and retired. He left the field in tears.

A few months back I tried to find some of the key points of the old stadium, the four cornerflags and the center. I had to use all my knowledge as a serveyer, which is what brings the money in, and my memory. I found a lot of information from old photographs dating back to the 1930's. The stadium site is now the location of a mental institution. [[So not much changed there. )

Aereal shot from May 1989.

GPS grid superimposed onto the picture, with contours of still excisting buildings. I generated the coordinates from this.

This is what the location looks today Old situation on the right.

One of the corner flags, now painted on the pavenent. It's the south corner.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; October-16-10 at 09:42 AM.

Tiger Stadium had an intimacy with the players and the game that Comerica Park is unable to duplicate. You were physically closer to the game at Tiger Stadium. How many of you walked around home plate through the stands so you could shout something at the umpire or pitcher or hitter or just be that much closer to the game? There's no chance of that at Comerica Park. The seating around home plate and the infield was expanded to allow more seats and revenue to be gathered from the fans who could afford that luxury. And yet those fans are forced into the elements of a baking sun or rain. What I like about CoPa is the freedom to walk around the entire stadium and experience the Park from many different vantage points. Usually I try to buy the cheapest ticket I can and take advantage of that option. I only go to one or two games per year but follow the Tigers avidly via Fox Sports channel. The whole drama about safe parking around the stadium is an issue too. There's a scam going on between the bums who sell illegal parking spots, parking enforcement and the towing companies who all benefit in turn from the luckless fan who falls for their collective scheme.

I remember a Lions - Bears game at Tiger Stadium in the late 60's. The Lion's Altie Taylor was trying to run the ball in to the right end zone. Dick Butkus was screaming, "get that mother *&^%$#, get that mother fucker", repeatedly. It was clearly heard by all of us and surrounding fans. The corner erupted in laughter. I don't even remember if the Lion's scored. But I've never forgot the ?intimacy? of being right next to the end zone and hearing the players.

I can't speak for Comerica park, but I have nothing against newer parks.

I've been to Busch Stadium many times and I really like it. Some things may be a bit gimmicky, but overall the experience is great. The fans are still there in the new park. We still have the organ and the vendors and all the stuff the old ballpark had. Of course, old Busch was a 1966 multi-purpose round metal thing, not a 1912 landmark. Still, when I went to Wrigley, I didn't really care for it. The park was neat. The ivy, the rooftop seats, the scoreboard, the view, it was all unique. But functionally it wasn't a great ballpark. There was a women's bathroom closer, which I appreciated, but the only mens bathrooms and most of the concessions were on the bottom floor of the stadium and you had to do a lot of walking.

From my brief experience with older and newer parks [[Wrigley, Miller, and Busch), the older parks would probably be more difficult to go to with disabled people or young children [[the new parks generally have more amenities for kids and elevators and stuff).

Tiger Stadium may have been different, but Wrigley just wasn't that comfortable of a place to watch the game. It was a great atmosphere and the fans were very nice. Wrigley itself just wasn't a very good place to watch the game. I was closer to the field at Wrigley, but I had a pole in front of me.

I love old buildings and I am usually against tearing them down. That said, when it comes to an old ballpark, it can be hard to keep the park functional. It just can't compete with new parks. Except for Wrigley and Fenway [[and they may eventually) the old ball parks become antiquated to many of the fans. Modern day families like lots of vendors and stuff for kids and escalators. If a new park can offer that, chances are more families will come. I think at some point building a new stadium becomes the smartest thing an owner could do, even if the new park doesn't have the same nostalgia as the old one. And, as someone above stated, the new generations will create their own memories in the new park. For me, I have more memories in new Busch than the old one. And sometimes [[though not necessarily with Comerica Park, depending on who you) the new park is a major improvement over the old one.

Just my 2 cents about old and new stadiums.

I do think that stadiums are different than other historic buildings. If a historic building was once a factory, it may be possible to turn it into lofts now. Historic buildings may have many potential new uses as commercial or residential. Generally a ballpark has one purpose, and eventually it makes more financial sense to build a new one.
    Last edited by LeannaM; October-16-10 at 12:56 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast